Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #9030
Class c windshield rear view mirror mod

I purchased a mirror mounted camera monitor that fits over the existing windshield rear view mirror. The new monitor kit comes with two cameras, one for the rear view and one for a front view. The front view is built in and the rear camera is mounted and requires cable routing. I mounted mine at the top rear of my Outlaw 29H and routed the cable over the top and through an existing satellite tv cable penetration. The benefit of this mod is the rear view mirror now shows me a view looking behind the coach while I am driving. Although the backup camera monitor in the radio also shows the rear view, to me looking at the rear view mirror is more intuitive than my radio location. The front camera view can also be switched on and records either on a continuous loop or activated if a sudden deceleration should happen. The unit i purchased is the Vantop H610.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
This looks like a great upgrade. The existing rear view camera looks downward and is very wide angle, so a more normal looking rear view mirror display would be great. I also find that the existing camera is pretty useless after dark, and this one might be helpful when backing into a camp site after dark.

I think installation of the wiring to the rear camera would be difficult in my rig. I also don't want a cable dangling from the mirror to the 12v power outlet to provide power to it. I see that there are kits to hard wire it into a fuse box, which would be a more elegant solution, but more of a pain to install.