Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Another nitpicking mod

My coach water pump died last trip. While I had it out and waiting on the replacement to arrive, I decided to mount it with a little more isolation to quieten it some. It wasn't very loud before, but did send some noise thru the rigid pex tubing.
The mod was easy and quick and not all that costly with readily available items for home supply or hardware store.
Two 20" FIP sink hoses were required to make the loop back to the pump from the exiting pex connections. Existing pex connections require a 1/2" x 1.5" or 2" threaded nipple with the ends c'sunk to remove sharp edge.
I mounted the pump on either 3/8" or 1/2" rubber air hose for more isolation from the floor. 12" was enough to make 2 isolators and 4 #10 scr's, nuts, FW's to mount pump to hose. It is now so quiet, that it only makes a hum.

Below are a couple of pics of the installation. Not the neatest, but was installed during the FL summer in haste.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3116.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	752

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3117.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	753

Old 09-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I like your homebrew isolators!
How did you attach the pump to the hose?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Our pump is so quiet I cannot tell if it is running.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #4

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I like your homebrew isolators!
How did you attach the pump to the hose?
I used #10 x 3/4" Screws, nuts and flat washers to fasten pump to hose isolators. Nuts are on inside of hose with no washers. The nuts sink into the hose I.D. and are pretty much self locking. I did put a drop of glue on the nut just in case. I used shorter screws to fasten hose to floor since I did not want the screws to penetrate all the way thru the floor and maybe get into some wiring or tubing.

As a side note, which some others here found; the strainer on the intake side of the pump had a considerable amount of plastic shavings in it. It was not the cause of the first pump to fail though.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
My coach water pump died last trip. While I had it out and waiting on the replacement to arrive, I decided to mount it with a little more isolation to quieten it some. It wasn't very loud before, but did send some noise thru the rigid pex tubing.
The mod was easy and quick and not all that costly with readily available items for home supply or hardware store.
Two 20" FIP sink hoses were required to make the loop back to the pump from the exiting pex connections. Existing pex connections require a 1/2" x 1.5" or 2" threaded nipple with the ends c'sunk to remove sharp edge.
I mounted the pump on either 3/8" or 1/2" rubber air hose for more isolation from the floor. 12" was enough to make 2 isolators and 4 #10 scr's, nuts, FW's to mount pump to hose. It is now so quiet, that it only makes a hum.

Below are a couple of pics of the installation. Not the neatest, but was installed during the FL summer in haste.

Attachment 752

Attachment 753
Nice mod. I have always found that mounting surfaces of components and the associated vibration contributes quite a bit to noise.

One this I notice, or don't notice, from the pictures is the lack of a water strainer. Is there a strainer somewhere else within the fresh water system?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Nice mod. I have always found that mounting surfaces of components and the associated vibration contributes quite a bit to noise.
Thanks. Yes, even thought the pump base is rubber, it is quite rigid and transmits some vibration to the floor especially at cut-off press. To bad the pumps don't come in RH & LH intakes. It would have been a more orderly install. Not much room down there and considered mounting it vertical on angle bracket, but it is not for show and a few more inches of hose to make the reverse connection does not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One this I notice, or don't notice, from the pictures is the lack of a water strainer. Is there a strainer somewhere else within the fresh water system?
I had to go check and make sure I re-installed the strainer. Yes, it is there, but not shown in the pics as it is under the flex ducting. I had to remove it and clean the plastic chips out of the screen.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
Nice job! I have also seen RVer's add a piece of foam rubber under the pump to reduce vibration. Typically, one of the colored anti-fatigue mats works well. Cut the mat and put it on the bottom. Next put a piece of 1/4" plywood that the pump goes on top. It will really dampen the vibration.

Fred