Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder View Post
you can do what you want . any slight front end mishap you can be sure that tire will go through your gas tank first. if that little bolt breaks i pity the person behind you.
The frame of the RV is between the tire and the gas tank.. and the tire and the gen. I see that as extremely unlikely. Thanks for considering factors that may have been missed. The bolt is just side to side insurance.

Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlamoreaux View Post
I finally had a chance to take a few pictures of my spare tire mount. One is a side view with the trailer hitch to the left and the other is a view looking up at the underside of the coach.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1514470488
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	8369  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #23

State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
After reading several awesome posts about mounting a spare tire under the coach I set out to attempt it. While I was blocking the tire up so I could measure for some sort of cross bracket to go between the frame rails I noticed the back of the receiver hitch is open and just the right height. I had some spare 2" square stock left over from another project that was just the right length~20" long. With the tire under the coach (wheel offset down) I inserted the tube into the receiver ~3", the other end was now completely supporting the wheel. I drilled a 3/8" hole through the square tube and bolted the wheel to the square tube with a locking nut. For the other end i drilled a hole through the receiver and the square tube and bolted them together. I think it came out awesome, the tire is very secure and it was super simple.
Love your idea and I was looking at that same area for mounting a spare tire/wheel. I measured the distance from the wheel lug opening to the edge of the tire at around 19" and adding 3" for the receiver, I estimate a 22" 2x2 as a minimum. Please remeasure or confirm that the tire fits in above the rear crossmember to get by with 20" length. Please also let me know what gauge 2x2 you are using (I am an EE and am not familiar with metal stuff). The supplier you mentioned offers 3 different gauges and I dread drilling through a very heavy piece of square pipe. It would also be nice to make this mounting be steal-proof as I have had spare tires stolen before and I have no idea when or how that happened!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #24

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
I used a 24" 2*2 and it was fine. I also have 2*6 distal to the receiver up against the frame. Very good. I think a 22" would work too.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #25

THOR #10354
Tire access

OK, I got the tire mounted but it is VERY heavy and I am not sure I could get a flat back in without access to the tools I have at home (i.e. floor jack). I am considering putting in a straight bar under the front of the tire/wheel bolted to the chassis rails, longer than required in order to boost the flat tire from the ground back up into position with some leverage and to keep my body out of the way when lifting the tire/wheel into position. The tire/wheel combination must weigh over 100 lbs and is awkward to lift from under the RV. I jacked up the tire/wheel and slid the 2x2 bar under the tire. I also just used the receiver pin to secure the 2x2 into the hitch (5/8" hole) because I have no plans at this time to tow another vehicle.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #26

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
I love this.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Besides two bottle jacks we carry a floor jack.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #28

THOR #6557
We have a 25.2;
I started with a cardboard circle same as diameter of tire. Mounted to some 1/2 X 3 wood. Attached 3” butt hinge. Clamped hinge to frame cross member, attached a simple sliding latch to opposite end of wood member. This allowed me to easily move the cardboard model around in space. Because there is a number of wires coming down through the floor on the driver side I needed to move the whole assembly about 3” to the passenger side.
I ordered the steel flat stock yesterday, if anyone is interested I will post pictures of manufacture and BOM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:42 AM   #29

THOR #6557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
we have a 25.2;
i started with a cardboard circle same as diameter of tire. Mounted to some 1/2 x 3 wood. Attached 3” butt hinge. Clamped hinge to frame cross member, attached a simple sliding latch to opposite end of wood member. This allowed me to easily move the cardboard model around in space. Because there is a number of wires coming down through the floor on the driver side i needed to move the whole assembly about 3” to the passenger side.
I ordered the steel flat stock yesterday, if anyone is interested i will post pictures of manufacture and bom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	9791Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	9792Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	9793
Old 04-19-2018, 04:59 AM   #30

THOR #6557
Tire mounted under coach, hinge front, latches left, right, rear. Latches are from 1” square tube with 3/4 square bar. I milled a slot in the side of the square tube. Tapped the square bar, installed a bolt that allows the bar to slide out for travel, retract to remove tire. Use a nut on the bolt, allows to lock the bar in the out position.
In summary, spare tire is supported 4 places on the frame of the coach. I am satisfied with the look and function. I am going to add a couple additional safety features (solid bar above hinge, lock downs at the 3 latches, worried about vibration, tire bouncing up and hitting floor of rear storage.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #31

THOR #4366
Quote:
I finally had a chance to take a few pictures of my spare tire mount. One is a side view with the trailer hitch to the left and the other is a view looking up at the underside of the coach.
For us with a 24.1 there isn't enough room to do this. Two of us spent time under the RV with a floor jack an couldn't get it into place. One option for us would be to flip the cross member behind the gas tank picking almost the 3 additional inches we need. Another option would pick up an additional 1 1/2 inch but requires moving the frame extensions and receiver. To do that one tack weld and 2 welded braces need be taking care of.
Wrangler JK dinghy
Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #32

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
It looks great.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
For us with a 24.1 there isn't enough room to do this. Two of us spent time under the RV with a floor jack an couldn't get it into place. One option for us would be to flip the cross member behind the gas tank picking almost the 3 additional inches we need. Another option would pick up an additional 1 1/2 inch but requires moving the frame extensions and receiver. To do that one tack weld and 2 welded braces need be taking care of.

Did you try putting spare tire in driver-side rear compartment? I kind of recall someone saying they had done this, but I’m not certain it was on 24.1 floorplan. Obviously, even if it fits, it does take from storage space.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #34

THOR #4366
Don't have the room with the other stuff we carry there.
Wrangler JK dinghy
Old 04-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #35

State: Colorado
THOR #6975
Spare tire

I have a 24.1 and I found the tire would fit in there if I let a little air out first . I carry an air compressor so it’s not a problem . It does fit very tight I use one crossbar between the frames under the tire I also use a ratchet strap from the front of the tire around that front crossmember for safety .

Tags
25.1, mods, spare tire