Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2016, 12:09 AM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
That a nice looking spare tire mount. Did you buy it or make it? We tow a trailer whenever we travel long distance, and that's a good place for a spare tire and wheel.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #82

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Keith,

I thought you were in South America, below the Equator?

Looks like the same setup I did. I have a friend doing an airbrush cover for me. I'll post it once I get it done.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #83

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
That a nice looking spare tire mount. Did you buy it or make it? We tow a trailer whenever we travel long distance, and that's a good place for a spare tire and wheel.
Metalman - I ordered it through a local RV repair guy. It's very heavy duty. Initially I didn't like that it tip forward at the top, but when affixing the tire to it it was great, as the weight of the wheel rested on it so I didn't have to hold the whole weight of it.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #84

State: Washington
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Keith,

I thought you were in South America, below the Equator?

Looks like the same setup I did. I have a friend doing an airbrush cover for me. I'll post it once I get it done.

Doc
Doc - We are leaving the 22nd or 23rd for points south. Only going as far south as Cabo San Lucas. Hopefully it will be far enough south to escape the rain & cold of the Pacific Northwest!

Be safe,
Old 01-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #85

THOR #2142
Keith,

We have a timeshare there at Cabo, the place is called Pueblo Bonito Rose. Have a safe trip.

Doc

Old 03-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #86

State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Mr. S,

Thanks for the clarification, E350 it is.

Yeah, I see the rear bumper as a bit of a light weight. I have been thinking of redoing it with something a little more stout, with an optional opening on the end so as to store the stinky slinky and then having a spare tire mount or a permanent bike mount or two. On the 24.1 there is nothing but a lot of plywood/fiberglass panel back there.

Just thinking right now. DW hates it when I start drilling holes in things!
How about this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQ49S82...I2YGGWPLI9LAYI
Old 03-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #87

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
This is the bumper that I used. I also bought the cover and the end-caps. It works great! Search around the forum. I posted a picture.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #88

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I contacted Thor about possibly adding a rear wall mounted spare on my 2017 Freedom Elite 26HE since I noticed that it is an available option on the apparently identical Four Winds an Chateau models. I was told that the supporting structure is not included on my coach because Camping World does not order the spare tire option and n Freedom Elite models. They also indicated that the bumper also is not strong enough to support a tire carrier. I'm now considering a hitch mount but it all gets pretty spendy. A ford wheel costs over $400 with a couple hundred more for a tire. Haven't looked for a non OEM or used wheel yet tho.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 AM   #89

THOR #2142
Pete,

I too hate the idea of no spare tire. I posted my MOD last year on this Forum, so for those who have seen this MOD before please forgive my repeat.

Curt 31006 Spare Tire Mount for 2" receiver for $71.04 with tax P&H $80.92.

Steel Wheel, RIm 16X6 - 3872 Reconditioned OEM - Bright White Full Face Painted (WheelsandCaps.com). SKU: STL03872USTL03872U50 for $69.92 with tax P&H $95.

Michlein LT225/75R16E LTX M/S BSW for $205.98 at local Clark Tire.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1491008621
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1491008625

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151226_13_27_53_Pro.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	4371   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151226_13_28_32_Pro.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	4372  

Old 04-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #90

THOR #2817
Quote:
Pete,

I too hate the idea of no spare tire. I posted my MOD last year on this Forum, so for those who have seen this MOD before please forgive my repeat.
Doc
Why does the wheel and tire lean back rather than stand upright?
Old 04-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #91

THOR #2142
Yes, it leans back at the top of the mount.
Doc

Old 04-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #92

THOR #2817
Do you know why it leans back rather than standing upright in a traditional manner?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #93

THOR #2142
Other than to keep from having a 8"+ gap between the tire and the outside of the RV...no idea.

Doc

Old 04-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #94

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Other than to keep from having a 8"+ gap between the tire and the outside of the RV...no idea.

Doc
Doc, did you ever try to bolt wheel to spare tire carrier on opposite side -- with wheel dish towards MH -- in order to get it closer? Sorry, but I can't recall if I asked you before.

It's difficult to see from pictures whether the tire would clear the 2-inch square tube that runs vertically (I'm guessing it probably won't unless a spacer was added). If tire could be flipped, the entire carrier may have to be moved back a little for clearance at top, but it looks like Curt provided three holes for adjustment in that direction.

Just curious. By the time I get a MH the spare will likely fit in storage compartment, making things simpler.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:28 AM   #95

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Just for info's sake, a spare tire does fit underneath my 2016 Axis E-450 between the rear bumper and the gas tank. You just have to decide whether it is a bigger pain to get if out - if you ever have to - or a bigger pain to have one hanging off the back of your RV so you have ready access to it - if you need it. I don't have any feel for how frequently anyone has had to change a tire on an Axis/Vegas or any E-350/450. I have never had to in over 100,000 miles over the last ten years. Have I just been lucky? How many times have others had to change a tire on the side of the road?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #96

THOR #2142
Oneil has a point, it has been 9 years since I had to change a flat on one of our vehicles. But that happened in just into South Carolina on the way home from Atlanta in the middle of nowhere (15 minutes back on the road after stopping for the cheaper gas). No idea how long it would have taken roadside to show up and I doubt they would have had the correct tire on hand so I was glad to have a spare.

As far as the Vegas, just knowing I have the correct size, make and rim for a change - even if I chicken out and call roadside - makes it worth the time and space used. Hopefully, I'll be able to do like Oneil and have +100K without a flat on the RV.

Doc

Old 05-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #97

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
I have a 2017 Vegas 24.1. My spare wont fit under there like yours. Lacks about 3 inches of clearance. However it did fit inside my rear driver side storage compartment. I bought the Curt spare tire mount that fits in the tow hitch receiver but it adds about another 1 1/2 feet of length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Finally found a wheel and mounted the spare tire underside in the space provided. Close fit, but did sit in the space nicely. I used a 2x6 mounted to the channel frame with 1/4" lag screws. The front area of the tire to rest on the 2x6. The rear area rest on the tow hitch member. The tire is clamped down with perforated hanger strapping and 1/4" machine scr's, washers, nuts. No drilling was required for the mounting. The only draw back from my point of view is that the tire and wheel are quite heavy. Maybe weighing in around 60-70 lbs. and an old dude like me had a time leveraging it into place.

The total cost of tire, wheel and mounting came to around $200. It may not be worth the time and money for some who don't travel in remote areas. For me, it is more of a convenience and independence than anything. I would not want to wait for hours in a remote area for a tire repair. I have a tow and emerg. road service thru CoachNet, but they only pay for changing a tire, not mounting a tire. A neighbor of mine had to call a tire repair out to his coach and the charge was over $100 for mounting the tire. Maybe some folks on the forum have had a tire changed and can jump in with some info tire mounting.

Below is where I bought the wheel. I don't have any connection to the company other than being a customer. It was the best price I could find. The dually rims are not as easy to find around my neck of the woods as I thought they would be.

steel-16x6-wheel-rim-3872

Below is a pic of the installation.

Attachment 327
Old 06-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #98

Model: axis 24.1
THOR #2278
Whew!!!

Great Idea I hope I never have to use it, however having a spare for that one time when your stuck in the middle of nowhere is priceless . You forgot to mention you must de-inflate the tire to fit it into the space from front to back on a 24.1, though once in place it can be re-inflated . I have not tried to remove it yet but with gravity on my side it's got to be easier.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #99

THOR #2817
Air must be heavy down in your area of FL.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 AM   #100

Model: axis 24.1
THOR #2278
Metalman:It sure is ,that wasn't the problem though. I had the same difficulty as JoeDS posted, but by letting the air out of the tire I was able to wrestle it into the space between the hitch and cross member. Again I'd like to thank mrc1010 for his post I really wouldn't like to have a spare hanging off of the back of my coach.