Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Thor Vegas on e350. The problem w bumper mount is rear door stowage blocking of.
Not all of us have a rear door. The 24.1 doesn't have one

Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #122

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I’ve analyzed the “under-coach” mounting position between the gas tank and the trailer hitch.
It looks very do-able based on measurements, plenty of room.
I’ll probably incorporate a couple of pieces of 2” channel iron, side to side, using existing holes already in the frame (look underside to see the location on your rig).

The only thing that needs to be moved (6-8” to the passenger side) is the hitch/trailer electrical connection, as the wiring loom is in the way & will be damaged
Funny about that. Ive tried several times to fit my spare in there on my 17 24.1. even moved the electrical. Just wont fit. If you manage it let us know and I may try again. Fortunately it fits in my storage compartment.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #123

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Funny about that. Ive tried several times to fit my spare in there on my 17 24.1. even moved the electrical. Just wont fit. If you manage it let us know and I may try again. Fortunately it fits in my storage compartment.
Go thru this thread to find the answer.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ons-16788.html
Old 03-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #124
Jer

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #18420
Mc 10 your install seems the only reasonable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Finally found a wheel and mounted the spare tire underside in the space provided. Close fit, but did sit in the space nicely. I used a 2x6 mounted to the channel frame with 1/4" lag screws. The front area of the tire to rest on the 2x6. The rear area rest on the tow hitch member. The tire is clamped down with perforated hanger strapping and 1/4" machine scr's, washers, nuts. No drilling was required for the mounting. The only draw back from my point of view is that the tire and wheel are quite heavy. Maybe weighing in around 60-70 lbs. and an old dude like me had a time leveraging it into place.

The total cost of tire, wheel and mounting came to around $200. It may not be worth the time and money for some who don't travel in remote areas. For me, it is more of a convenience and independence than anything. I would not want to wait for hours in a remote area for a tire repair. I have a tow and emerg. road service thru CoachNet, but they only pay for changing a tire, not mounting a tire. A neighbor of mine had to call a tire repair out to his coach and the charge was over $100 for mounting the tire. Maybe some folks on the forum have had a tire changed and can jump in with some info tire mounting.

Below is where I bought the wheel. I don't have any connection to the company other than being a customer. It was the best price I could find. The dually rims are not as easy to find around my neck of the woods as I thought they would be.

steel-16x6-wheel-rim-3872

Below is a pic of the installation.

Attachment 327
Hey yall,

I have the no place for a spare tire dilemma on my 2020 Vegas 24.1. Im gonna try the MC10 solution and see if I can get the tire behind a 2X6. The guy that paid 300 some for the hitch mount soln...thats too rich for my blood.

In the America I grew up in, vehicles came with a spare tire and a mount.

Well I noticed... but there all doing the same thing so thats the Chinafication of American products...Nice.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #125

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Hey yall,
...In the pussification of America some gay or woman at Thor said no one will ever notice theres no spare and we can sell the thing cheaper...
This is a very rude comment and really not fitting for this forum.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:23 AM   #126

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Hey yall,

I have the no place for a spare tire dilemma on my 2020 Vegas 24.1. Im gonna try the MC10 solution and see if I can get the tire behind a 2X6. The guy that paid 300 some for the hitch mount soln...thats too rich for my blood.

Well I noticed... but there all doing the same thing so thats the Chinafication of American products...Nice.
Keep looking at either Ed Felker's manual or searching this forum. This has been discussed and discussed and discussed. Many people, including me when we owned a 2016 24.1 (E450) went a different way. Many of us are not about to jack up such a heavy vehicle, take off lug nuts that are torqued much higher than a Toyota, etc., and change a tire anyway. I ended up ordering an exact Michelin tire from TireRack and mounted it between the rear frame rails in front of the hitch mount and used a 2x6 which I painted black to hold the tire right behind the fuel tank. I remember I actually wrapped mine with mover's wrap to keep it clean. That way, in the event of a failure, a truck tire service truck could respond and change the tire without us having to wait days to order a tire and then there is the hassle of getting towed. It will work. You will find that almost all RVs with the exception of a few Class Cs do not carry spares because of storage problems, etc.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:07 AM   #127

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
[QUOTE=

Well that’s because in the America you grew up in cars got flat tires with depressing regularity. I haven’t changed a tire on the road in 30+ years. Not saying it can’t happen but If it does at least I’ll have a comfortable place to wait for the man. Mayhaps we’re all just getting old!
Old 03-28-2020, 04:07 AM   #128

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Take the air down to 10-15 pounds
Then you can fit it in that space
Once in place, with aluminum strut material or wood support, fill air to 30 pounds.
It’ll lock right into place.
To remove, let the air out.
Hopefully you carry an air pump on-board.
It worked fine on my E450
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACB9C9F3-428A-46B2-AA33-E4C228C4C6D9.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	23075  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #129

THOR #6513
Quote:
Once in place, with aluminum strut material or wood support, fill air to 30 pounds.
Nice! Good thought on letting the air out to get it in. Ive wondered about that.
Thanks for the update.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #130

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Yep, that is another option. Instead of using the two lengths of steel, I used a 2x6 and existing holes in the frame to secure it with carriage bolts and wing nuts. The non-mounted tire had no problems either.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #131
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Roadside assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Check your Thor paperwork: I think they provide free road service in lieu of a spare tire. I know I saw it in there somewhere.
Ford has a 5 year 60,000 mile roadside assistance on the vehicle no matter who owns it. If you're within that, you're good.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:06 AM   #132
sip

THOR #5882
I don't remember if I ever posted these pics but this is what I ended up building for my 2016 .. it has worked pretty well for the last few years. Thankfully I haven't had to use the spare but if I ever do, I just know it's going to be in the worst imaginable place, in the worst possible weather, with muck and mud and rain and who knows what other disaster going on ... so I wanted to be as accessible as possible to be able to get back on the road quickly if I had to.

Also, I realize the newer models have an extra door back there I didn't have to worry about that. The extra propane tanks have also been fantastic to have. I am not too worried about being rear ended because we are usually towing the jeep and also the wall back there is really soft stuff so with any sort of hit, the tanks would just push into the trunk area before breaking imo.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:21 AM   #133

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Very nice craftsmanship. Excellent idea and design.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:46 AM   #134
sip

THOR #5882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Very nice craftsmanship. Excellent idea and design.
Coming from the Metalman, that means a lot I actually learned quite a bit about welding with a cheap harbor freight welder (flux core), the most important of which is to make sure your welding wire is actually a flux core wire hehehehe (oh the welds were super ugly until I realized the problem and had to grind and redo a bunch of it).

Also forgot to mention that the top part is an after market jeep (TJ) rear spare mount that I repurposed for this by building the new mounting frame structure (it was something I had around that I never used on the jeep) ... it's pretty heavy and probably overkill I think but I think it served to stiffen up my whole design so I'm happy with it. I have an extra bike lock chain to both prevent theft but also make sure the wheel doesn't fall off if my welds ever fail and kill a bus full of nuns or something behind me