Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2021, 04:45 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Same here. But then 19.5s are much heavier than E350s.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	30226

Old 05-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #22
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Your unit sits on a Ford chassis so you have 5yr, 60,000 mile road side assistance included from Ford. You can check it out online. I have a spare on my hitch similar to Vegas 25.5. At least that way you have a spare to use.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #23
MLM

Model: F E 24 HE
State: North Carolina
THOR #23152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Your unit sits on a Ford chassis so you have 5yr, 60,000 mile road side assistance included from Ford. You can check it out online. I have a spare on my hitch similar to Vegas 25.5. At least that way you have a spare to use.
They didn’t tell me that when we got it. Do you know where I can get information on it?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #24
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
They never do. The dealer tried to sell me RSA. I didn’t take it and checked online, Owner.Ford.com
Old 05-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #25
MLM

Model: F E 24 HE
State: North Carolina
THOR #23152
Thanks I found it online 1-800-241-3673
Old 05-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #26

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I debated relying on the "free" Ford RSA for a new chassis, but decided on Good Sam's service. Why? Many things that might require RSA are not Ford related at least on my E350 based Class A Axis.

For example if the slide or awning can't be retracted at a campsite, Ford won't help with that. At least Good Sams presumably understands that and can dispatch the right person to help.

David
Old 05-05-2021, 06:26 AM   #27

Model: 2021 Vegs 24.1
State: California
THOR #22619
I don't like not having a spare, and may carry an unmounted tire on longer trips. That way, at least we wouldn't be stuck paying for an overpriced tire that doesn't exactly match our other tires.

I removed the ladder from our Vegas, and will comment it is mounted with small short screws that only go into the fiberglass shell.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #28

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H. View Post
I don't like not having a spare, and may carry an unmounted tire on longer trips. That way, at least we wouldn't be stuck paying for an overpriced tire that doesn't exactly match our other tires.

I removed the ladder from our Vegas, and will comment it is mounted with small short screws that only go into the fiberglass shell.
My thoughts exactly. Plus, not sure I wanna wait 2-4 hrs for help in an area where there’s limited cell service.

So I purchased a just used tire that matches the other 6 and an aftermarket rim.
It’s mounted under the rear.

Even though I’ve got hydraulic levelers installed on my rig...I still carry a small bottle jack, along with a good breaker bar, overalls and gloves.

A full write-up on this was done in another thread in 2019.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBDB7237-EA29-4576-94AF-0FE06FAB6534.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	30246   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD9A5482-4D69-405D-A2AA-A9971635415D.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	30247  

Old 05-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #29

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H. View Post

I understand this sentiment but I look at it differently. Unless you have a flat promptly after buying your tires your spare will be pretty mismatched anyway. Without a spare you might end up with an odd orphan tire on the road - or maybe even a used tire - but it’ll get you going again to a place where you can get a proper fix. In my case I’d probably buy two new tires for the front. I’ve been driving for over half a century and have NEVER had to change a tire on the road. I’d be worried that my spare will age out and never be used. The certain cost of a nice spare now as opposed to a possible cost of a tire on the road. Waiting for help might be inconvenient but at least I’ll have a comfortable place to do it in. Whatever works!
Old 05-05-2021, 11:57 PM   #30

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Fold back spare tire for Axis aft storage hatch access

Just for interest:
How we access our Axis aft storage easily with the spare on the hitch. Pull one pin ... Rotates back for access …
pull second pin ...and all the way down for spare removal / changeout.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=45
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:43 AM   #31

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I bought a spare tire and wheel from Town Fair Tire for about $240. I already had the 1/2 breaker bar and 7/8" socket to remove the lug nuts but I bought a 4 ton bottle jack and a jack stand. I can now change a tire myself.

And despite the naysayers on another thread, I mounted the tire on the rear ladder of my Axis. It took a couple of 1/2" J bolts and extensions, all about $20 to mount it. It attaches right at a support strut, clears the tail light fine and doesn't intrfere with the rear hatch. No loosening of the ladder attachments so far. See the pics below.

The only real problem was lifting it in place with my 74 YO back and arms. After trying the hard way, I threw a rope over the top rung and used that to help hoist it in place.

David
You're gonna pull the ladder right off the RV. But hey it's your rig. Please install a safety chain so as not to injure someone with your decision.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #32

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Safety chain is an absolute must and keep it short so the tire doesn't bounce when the ladder comes loose
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You're gonna pull the ladder right off the RV. But hey it's your rig. Please install a safety chain so as not to injure someone with your decision.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:55 AM   #33

Model: ACE 29.1
State: Idaho
THOR #25120
I see mention of the Roadmaster Hitch Mount Spare Tire Carrier. Looks great, but it is expensive. I just bought a 2012 Thor ACE 29.1 and it doesn't have a spare. Question: The bumper seems rather robust, is it strong enough to support a 225 / 19.5 tire? If so, does anyone know where to find the carrier made to bolt on the bumper?
Old 10-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #34

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Some have had issue with a bumper mount spare tire holder breaking the welds where the bumper attaches to the frame. Check to be sure the welds are solid and can hold the weight before going that route. If you are not using your trailer hitch for towing, there are many other trailer hitch spare tire mounts that are less in price than the Roadmaster. They may not fold down but would be a better idea than a bumper mount. Etrailer.com offers several hitch mounts.

Paul
Old 10-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #35
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Retired View Post
I see mention of the Roadmaster Hitch Mount Spare Tire Carrier. Looks great, but it is expensive. I just bought a 2012 Thor ACE 29.1 and it doesn't have a spare. Question: The bumper seems rather robust, is it strong enough to support a 225 / 19.5 tire? If so, does anyone know where to find the carrier made to bolt on the bumper?
I have a 2016 ACE with a steel bumper. No way is it robust enough to handle the torque applied by the weight of a 19.5" spare tire and wheel on a carrier.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:01 PM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Armchair engineering is risky. I elected to just pop for the Roadmaster and it is a fine piece of kit. It’ll outlast several coaches and is easy to use. I’m not currently using mine though because my towed needs a bigger drop than it did on my last coach. You can buy them in whatever drop you need.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:43 PM   #37

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #22781
I carry my spare in the toad. Class C E450 tire mounted on rim.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #38

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Retired View Post
Bumpers are NOT robust and not much more than a sewer hose holder.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #39

Model: 22GO
State: Louisiana
THOR #27572
I'm just seeing this thread now. I worked 36 yrs as a registered mechanical engineer and I've investigated a lot of accidents, some of them with my career a** on the line. There is no way I would mount the spare on the ladder. I was on my ladder yesterday (I weight 2 bills) and was concerned. The possible consequences of the ladder mount spare are not worth the benefits in my opinion. I'm going to strap my spare into the storage compartment and preserve the trailer hitch for bikes and such. My two cents.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #40

Model: FE22
State: Oregon
THOR #29183
In the past we had a Forest River Salem TT. We were full-timers and had a few flats due to being a bit overloaded. We used a farm jack on the rear bumper and jacked up the unit to change to a spare. This even happened on the side of I-10 in the middle of Tucson in afternoon traffic. We never had problems with that bumper.
No one ever told me not to use it as a lifting point. Worked great.