Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2023, 02:20 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I will mention my experience having a flat tire on one of the rear tires, more like what caused the tire to go flat.

Class C, E-450.

On our duals, there are valve stem extensions coming from the inner wheel, through the rim opening of the outer wheel, for access to check and add air as desired.

It just so happens that, the valve extension, that screws onto the valve of the inner rim, is made with a braided steel covering, and then clamped in place to hold it steady.

This particular clamp was a folded piece of what appeared to be stainless steel, triangular shaped, a hole for its valve extension hose to fit, and a small bolt threaded to compress the "jaw" and bite onto the outer rim. This type of clamp, had a failure in the folded part, and broke. This allowed the end of the valve extension hose, with the clamp (unable to bite the rim) now broken, to work its way between the tires.

Unbeknownst to me, this caused a cutting into the sidewall of both tires in the one set of duals. Cutting into the one tire enough to go flat while on the road. I noticed the flat during a fuel stop as I walk around and check things every fill up.

I did not notice the "why" the tire deflated at the time. I had a spare carried underneath, similar to the way taylorbob1 has his pictured. I too carry coveralls and tools for such an occasion. I got down the road 15 minutes and a second flat, this time limping on a single tire at the dually side, and carrying two flat tires onboard also taking up room.

Had to buy a tire to get home, which it became my spare and I bought 6 new Michelins. I also made some modifications to not let this happen again.

I wonder, and you should too, how many other RV dual set ups have this type of valve stem extension holding set up? You really should check if you haven't.

Have a nice day, and I know it is an old thread, just wanted to add my experience, maybe it will help somebody out.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:13 PM   #42

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
There are many dozens of reports of failed valve extensions and issues like yours. I don’t know why they even sell setups like that - although I’m sure some folks have never had an issue. The only justification is low cost and to me it’s just not worth it. I’m a fan of actual dually valves -which would cost very little if Ford put them on as OE. But it’ll run about $250 to retrofit (or half that if you do it when replacing tires). Glad you’re all good and that you had the foresight to be prepared.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:46 PM   #43

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I changed out all the extensions after I purchased
They’re now all solid stems, no leaking, and reachable with a air pressure hose
I chose not to invest in a TPMS, but that’s another option for those who choose to reduce manual maintenance

BTW…
Like me, one can generally find a just-used spare of same brand/model with similar code date

Im currently running on 2016 chassis with 2016 OEM tires, so ready to change out very soon
Will probably go with 7 tires so the spare will be new as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEC31BFC-51AF-40DC-B6A0-6C32A6FFDC54.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	41435  
Old 04-01-2023, 04:32 PM   #44
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I too use metal weave wrapped valve extensions. I know that they will wear out over a three to four year time duration. The rubber at the ends seems to start to rot. I replace mine every two years. Never a problem. My old knees thank me!
Old 04-01-2023, 06:47 PM   #45

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
I will mention my experience having a flat tire on one of the rear tires, more like what caused the tire to go flat.

Class C, E-450.

On our duals, there are valve stem extensions coming from the inner wheel, through the rim opening of the outer wheel, for access to check and add air as desired.

It just so happens that, the valve extension, that screws onto the valve of the inner rim, is made with a braided steel covering, and then clamped in place to hold it steady.

This particular clamp was a folded piece of what appeared to be stainless steel, triangular shaped, a hole for its valve extension hose to fit, and a small bolt threaded to compress the "jaw" and bite onto the outer rim. This type of clamp, had a failure in the folded part, and broke. This allowed the end of the valve extension hose, with the clamp (unable to bite the rim) now broken, to work its way between the tires.

Unbeknownst to me, this caused a cutting into the sidewall of both tires in the one set of duals. Cutting into the one tire enough to go flat while on the road. I noticed the flat during a fuel stop as I walk around and check things every fill up.

I did not notice the "why" the tire deflated at the time. I had a spare carried underneath, similar to the way taylorbob1 has his pictured. I too carry coveralls and tools for such an occasion. I got down the road 15 minutes and a second flat, this time limping on a single tire at the dually side, and carrying two flat tires onboard also taking up room.

Had to buy a tire to get home, which it became my spare and I bought 6 new Michelins. I also made some modifications to not let this happen again.

I wonder, and you should too, how many other RV dual set ups have this type of valve stem extension holding set up? You really should check if you haven't.

Have a nice day, and I know it is an old thread, just wanted to add my experience, maybe it will help somebody out.
Frieghtliner had a recall for that very issue.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thank goodness motorhome downsizing has made singles a viable option on smallest/lightest rigs. Duallies are a PITA I can do without. There are a lot of design features I like from last century, but duallies isn’t one of them.

In my opinion it’s just a matter of time before chassis and RV industries adopt singles on larger trucks and motorhomes as standard equipment. Semi have used singles for some time to save weight and improve fuel economy, but we haven’t seen much adoption in medium-duty chassis yet. I expect Ford and other manufacturers fear singles will cause or lead to accidents in hands of novice RV drivers. That and it saves them a few dollars.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:59 PM   #47

State: Montana
THOR #29331
How many Thor van drivers out there actually carry a spare tire with them. Or do you mostly count on roadside assistance? 2 women here asking is it even possible for us to change the tire?
Old 04-02-2023, 11:45 PM   #48

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #22781
I carry a spare with the intention on that roadside assistance will change.

You could probably change a the tire with the right jack/tools.

For me it's a safety issue you may be in bad/dangerous location.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:28 AM   #49

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEasTexas View Post
I carry a spare with the intention on that roadside assistance will change.

You could probably change a the tire with the right jack/tools.

For me it's a safety issue you may be in bad/dangerous location.
Not only that, what if the service call for your flat takes 3 or 4 hours, maybe even the next morning, to show up? Or, you need the tire replaced and they want double the tire's value cost?

I never boondocked on an exit ramp, or near a bridge on the interstate. Could be interesting, especially if hoodlum vultures stop to investigate!

I digress...
Old 04-03-2023, 01:41 PM   #50

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxVan View Post
How many Thor van drivers out there actually carry a spare tire with them. Or do you mostly count on roadside assistance? 2 women here asking is it even possible for us to change the tire?

Just like with men, much depends on age, health, size, strength, willingness to try, etc….

Your Tellaro spare tire/wheel should weigh about 60 pounds, so it should not be too difficult for some women. Others should never try unless they feel confortable changing car or SUV spare and think they can go a little larger. A lot of SUV and pickup spares are larger and heavier than on your ProMaster van.

There is a lot more than strength to consider though. Many RAM ProMaster come without a spare, and the space where spare goes is most often used by RV manufacturers to install a generator or holding tanks. So where would you carry it?

There are racks that mount a spare to rear door, but you’re looking at a lot of cost, and likely interfere with bike carrier if you have that option.

You also need ability to carry and use a jack to lift van off the ground, and since vans are small, you probably won’t have room to carry extra gear as secondary support for added safety. Vans don’t have levelers either. This in itself is not a show stopper if you view your Tellaro as a big car or SUV.

I have changed a tire on my van on side of Interstate before, but know my wife could never do it, not that she would ever try. It’s not due to gender, just that I changed large tractor tires when young and she’s never changed a spare. To think of it, I don’t even recall her changing a bike wheel. It’s all relative, and experience helps a lot. Obviously, even if you are not experienced, you can practice at home and see if it’s something you’d want to actually do in an emergency.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:27 PM   #51

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Not only that, what if the service call for your flat takes 3 or 4 hours, maybe even the next morning, to show up? Or, you need the tire replaced and they want double the tire's value cost?

I never boondocked on an exit ramp, or near a bridge on the interstate. Could be interesting, especially if hoodlum vultures stop to investigate!

I digress...
Some people who do not carry a spare never consider considerations.
You and I do.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:41 PM   #52

THOR #13932
I just this moment saw a t-shirt:
Win before you begin.

Sums up the reason to carry a spare and a full tank of propane, water, fuel.

Failure is always an option. It doesn't have to be an inevitability
But as always, some insist on being in that position.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #53

THOR #24216
I would not put us in the unenviable position of having no spare, thus I have a OEM Ford rim and FS spare to carry with us. Granted I would attempt to have AAA or Foremost mount it onto the coach if needed, but to not have one at all would never even be considered.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:59 PM   #54
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
My use of propane is less than 1 tank per year - makes no sense to me to fill it every trip.

On Travel Trailers that are at or exceeding their weight limits it makes no sense to pull it with a full water tank to a full hookup campground. Same goes for any MH flirting with weight limits - carry enough for expected needs on the road.

I don't carry a spare - too much hassle for minimum chance of needing it where and how I travel. I haven't had to pull a spare out of it's location on any of my vehicles in the last 20+ years. But should I have a tire problem I have plans in place:
Roadside Assistance plan. - failing that;
I carry plugs and an air compressor (two actually)
I have the ability to jack the vehicle and remove any of the tires.
I have the ability to transport an unrepairable tire/wheel to the nearest capable shop for replacement in my TOAD.

So following any "absolute rules" on a Forum mindlessly is not always the best approach. Put some forethought into your travels, assume your level of risk, and plan accordingly.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:09 PM   #55

THOR #13932
Your jack and plugs are as good as a spare.
I discovered some drywall screw type tire plugs that are coated with rubber cement. I bought but havent tried them yet.
I also carry extra valve stems that can be applied from the outside the rim. I'd never lost a valve stem ever, then lost two in a month.

Anyone flirting with overweight due to an extra 30 gallons of water should have flirted with a sensical purchase instead of what they bought.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #56

THOR #24216
When I had the spare tire mounted onto the rim at Discount I included a TPMS sensor on the assumption that if we ever have to use the spare, it can stay on the coach afterward and the rim/tire that comes off can then become the spare.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #57

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
We wouldn't leave home without a spare. did the same thing taylorbob1 did, mounted a spare under the rear, it fits well there. we sleep much better with that, and other precautionary modifications made. there is no way I would mount it to my ladder. find some place to put it, but not the ladder. tire pressure monitor system is one of our must haves as well.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:48 PM   #58

THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/SAVITA-Self-S...%2C2624&sr=8-5
^^^^^^^^
Untested, value not set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NA...b_b_asin_image
^^^^^^^^^^
T3sted and works

Old 04-04-2023, 07:56 PM   #59

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
If you decide to have a spare, think about using a trailer hitch spare tire holder to carry it. I have one that I use most of the time.

Paul
Glad I have a 29,000 pound RV not even a thought. Road side and let them do it. Maybe a bottle of gunk like comes with many sports cars. Squirt that in and us on board compressor.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:21 PM   #60

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #22781
Have spare mounted on rim, carry in toad.