Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
...You can fill your fresh water tank to the half mark only to off set any weight.
20 gallons of water not carried would be a weight savings of about 150 pounds...
That would be a better option than leaving SWMBO at home!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 4 Winds 31Y
State: Texas
THOR #20784
Spare tire

I just purchased a 2020 Thor 4 Winds, 31y. It has no spare tire and no interesting looking threaded rods underneath. I want to purchase a spare. Looking at wheels first, it talks of offset for the dually. I cant locate that info anywhere. My chassis is the 2019 Ford 450SD. Anyone with a idea that would help me chose the wheel? I appreciate the info about the C tire over the LT.

Anyone just carry a spare tire and no wheel? Do all road services have the mobile ability to mount a tire?

My first post so I apologize if this is under the wrong thread.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #23

State: Arkansas
THOR #19338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullabunk View Post
I just purchased a 2020 Thor 4 Winds, 31y. It has no spare tire and no interesting looking threaded rods underneath. I want to purchase a spare. Looking at wheels first, it talks of offset for the dually. I cant locate that info anywhere. My chassis is the 2019 Ford 450SD. Anyone with a idea that would help me chose the wheel? I appreciate the info about the C tire over the LT.

Anyone just carry a spare tire and no wheel? Do all road services have the mobile ability to mount a tire?

I went to an auto salvage yard. I bought a used wheel off a ford ambulance. I made sure the lug pattern and the center hole were the same. The local tire store had a basic tire the correct size that was perfect for the spare they also changed out the valve stem with new.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullabunk View Post

Yeah I had a flat in the spring (no spare at that time). They manually install new tire on my old rim.

Since then I purchased rim off of Amazon but it does not fix as well as the FORD rim. YOu can purchase used Ford rims for $80 on Ebay.... I would do this instead of my NEW $80 aftermarket rim that you cannot run on the front unless you grind like 2 - 5 mm off of the calipers.

Get the correct size tire and speed rating / load rating that your chassis shows (should match what your current tires).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #17202
Doesn't all the 2020 class C models have a spare tire well inside the aft basement storage compartment? My 28A has the perfect round niche in the middle. It fits the spare and a 12 ton bottle jack in the middle of the tire.

Why not just put it there?
Old 10-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #26

THOR #19338
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdpeteMH View Post
Doesn't all the 2020 class C models have a spare tire well inside the aft basement storage compartment? My 28A has the perfect round niche in the middle. It fits the spare and a 12 ton bottle jack in the middle of the tire.

I did not see anything like that on my 2021 quantum jm31.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #27

THOR #19338
Mine didn't either. That mod that is pictured above in the thread worked up well. I modified a half inch extension and can raise and lower with a wrachet or impact gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie1127 View Post
I did not see anything like that on my 2021 quantum jm31.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #28

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdpeteMH View Post

No, they don't. I used to have a Chateau 23U, and it had the spare tire well in the main storage compartment, and the spare tire was an option, which we had. But my Chateau 31E did not come with a spare, and there is no place to put one. The main storage compartment isn't very big, and putting a spare tire in there wouldn't leave enough space for our camping gear.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #29

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
that threaded rod is part of the factory spare rack.
It's a triangular shaped steel bar rack. Two tabs forward with screws through holes form the hinges and the threaded rod is that attach point.
Simple and it works....
and would be easy to weld or fabricate a copy if you didn't want to order from thor

I posted photos of mine a long time back....
Old 10-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #30

THOR #908
dug up a couple photos for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140819_131700311_HDR.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	26700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160520_160633392.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	26701  

Old 10-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Texas
THOR #19813
Is there a spot to fit a spare under a Vegas 27.7 ?

I've read a number of posts about storing a spare under the RV but has anyone been able to do this on a Vegas 27.7? I've been all around the underside and can find no place to recess the spare sufficiently. Back aft the potential spots are occupied by the black and gray tanks. There's a potential area just aft of the fuel tank but it's not long enough for a tire because of the pipe crossing from the black tank on the passenger side to the wet bay on the driver side. I'd much prefer storing below rather than the bumper.
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #32

THOR #19338
If it comes down to it, maybe the front is an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaurbanelli@aol.com View Post
I've read a number of posts about storing a spare under the RV but has anyone been able to do this on a Vegas 27.7? I've been all around the underside and can find no place to recess the spare sufficiently. Back aft the potential spots are occupied by the black and gray tanks. There's a potential area just aft of the fuel tank but it's not long enough for a tire because of the pipe crossing from the black tank on the passenger side to the wet bay on the driver side. I'd much prefer storing below rather than the bumper.
Thanks.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:00 AM   #33

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
dug up a couple photos for you
Yes but it looks like you have to manually hoist it up in place. I think folks are looking for a more modern conclusion.

I'm jockeying a new front after a few punctures. They're not light. Any assistance in the spare location is welcome news.

My father has a f350 and told me about it. It also has a key to unlock, though that's not important in this situation. Whose going to take the time to steal it from under the coach? Locks keep honest people away.

You get the point.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #34

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Yes but it looks like you have to manually hoist it up in place. I think folks are looking for a more modern conclusion.

The time I had to use the spare, the roadside service guy had a nice big floor jack that made easy work of it.

I don't carry a jack or tools for it on the road, but even if I did that would be the least of my worries. Any jack that can jack the MH can surely handle the weight of a tire.

I can understand the appeal of a more complex solution.... but sometimes there is beauty in the keep it simple approach.

Regardless, it's not my design. It's Thor's. I'll admit to liking the simplicity.... but if I were doing it I'd try to come up with a little better latch for it, otherwise I'd copy it.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #35

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Here's the thread w/pics when I installed a tire winch. Oh, and I guess I did a good job, only one comment on the thread! https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...led-19862.html