Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 11:41 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I believe the only way a change will be made is for folks to refuse to purchase a coach based on it's handling characteristics during the test drive. If a model does not sell because it handles squirrelly then the manufacture will be forced to make a change or discontinue production of the model line.

If folks buy it after a test drive they are accepting the handling characteristics.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:22 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I agree dstankov ... I wasn't happy with any of the vegas or axis rigs I drove but decided their characteristics were so similar to a previous E-350 that ended up driving quite nicely with a little work. So we took a chance ... and ours handles quite well now with just a trac-bar and increased caster but still isn't perfect as I think it could be a touch better. So now I contemplate what might be a next biggest improvement. For sure it won't be a steering stabilizer until after I think it's near perfect otherwise.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:27 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_Chief52 View Post
I agree with FW28Z. Manufactures should put the mod on at the factories or have the vehicle manufacturer do it as part of their chassis. I recommended this to the Thor rep I spoke with today. If you think of the bad rap you read in the posts about handling issues, you'd think the manufacturers would respond. An RV is an expensive experience - why not make it a pleasant one from the start.
i think it's because they want to keep the cost down where it's competitive that they leave off a bunch of things you'll need to make it solid. Just a numbers game
Old 06-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
The conventional wisdom with the E350/E450 chassis is to do the following:

1. heavy duty sway bars.
2. Bilstein (or Koni) shocks.
3. Firestone Air Lift..
Those are the same things are also done for the F53 chassis, (along with the CHF - cheap handling fix).

However, those things are great for improving the handling. But they will do absolutely nothing to stabilize the motorhome in the event of a tire blowout.

The only devices that will help stabilize, (keep centered down the road), a motorhome during a tire blowout is a self centering device. The most common are the Safe-T-PLus, and the TruCenter.

They are NOT to be confused with a normal steering stabilizer which is nothing more than a shock absorber mounted to your tie rod. That serves a different purpose, (to reduce vibration to the steering wheel).
Old 07-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #25

State: Louisiana
THOR #2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
So you did the rear stabilizer (panhard rod) only, and not the steering dampener/stabilizer thing?

I have been advised that the route you have gone is likely the one most addressing the issue with the coaches (with a possible exception of increasing + caster angle and addressing tire pressures)..... but i think yours is the first report I've seen of doing only that mod without the others....

I've read several folks report improvement after installing better after market sway bars.

My gut tells me that while these sway bars may not be the solution to the real problem, they likely make an overall contributing difference to the system..... just like almost any improvement does.

Do you happen to know where your caster angles landed after the alignment? It's a different chassis that mine, but I'm still wondering.....

Also another question.... how well does your steering recenter? I mean is there a dead or loose/sloppy spot in the middle when going straight, or when coming out of a turn does the steering return to center by itself?
blw2 - I finally drove my RV recently. I was more mindful of your question while driving. The steering stabilizer does not center the steering wheel after making a turn or taking a curve. The mod does feel like it took out wobble in the steering and provide a better feel of the road.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #26

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
THOR #2204
My MH is at CW right now having some warranty & non warranty items repaired.
I bought a Safe-T-Track on line at a decent $$ savings and am having them install it.

At a later date I will add the rear track bar if needed.

I've had people ask "why go to CW for the work?" Here in Colorado
CW is the only Thor dealers. I'm not real happy that they want to
keep the MH for 3 or 4 weeks to do the needed repairs but that is
what it is.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I believe the only way a change will be made is for folks to refuse to purchase a coach based on it's handling characteristics during the test drive. If a model does not sell because it handles squirrelly then the manufacture will be forced to make a change or discontinue production of the model line.

If folks buy it after a test drive they are accepting the handling characteristics.
I agree with you 100% in theory but can also see some practical limitations.

I think the buyer is essentially accepting the motorhome's handling or any other performance "as is" at time of purchase. For that reason it's his/her responsibility to test the RV as needed.

On the other hand I can also imagine that not all driving conditions can be simulated or tested during a test drive. I live in a very flat area, so how do I test handling on mountain roads? What if RV gets squirrely on wet roads? Or if it gets hard to drive in cross winds? What are the odds of encountering strong cross winds during a test drive?

In the past I've rented vehicles similar to what I was buying in order to get in a long test drive. That's worked pretty well to reveal handling issues, plus fuel economy, noise on rough roads, etc.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:32 AM   #28

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Has anyone installed a front end stabilizer to help steering control on wind and blowouts. If so what do you recommend and do they work?
I didn't install any sway bar, however I did crawl under the unit and readjusted the existing sway bars front and back.
The existing bars have 2 holes per side, I simply move the rod from the front hole to the rear hole closest to the axle on each side. Worked great. I will complete with a alignment from a truck alignment shop.
Hope this helps
Old 09-13-2015, 02:47 AM   #29

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
Like everyoe says, front/rear swaybars and steering stabilizer stopped most of it for me also.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #30

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
THOR #2204
I've now driven my MH with the new steering stabilizer about 170 miles and I will drive it home tomorrow 95 miles and it is much better than it had been with out. My MH
already came from the factory with front & rear sway bars.

A big part of all this is having the tire pressure correct.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:20 AM   #31

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Knock on wood, I have had no issues with stability or tracking on my F53 Hurricane!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #32

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #2580
I agree it's an unforseen cost to correct. Next time will do a more extensive test drive.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #33

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2287
I am in the process of installing Steersafe stabilizer on front axle. I researched it and it will keep wheels straight in event of a blow out. It also helps with wind and uneven road surfaces. After installation I will report back on wether it improved my steering control. Ozzie
Old 09-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #34

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2287
I am in process of installing Steer safe stabilizing system. Has anyone had any experience with this system
Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 AM   #35

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Illinois
THOR #2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Before you spend on air suspension do you have a rear track bar on the motorhome? That is a pretty significant item for push from the rear and cross winds. You should at a minimum investigate it before dropping more cash. I don't see air suspension helping much in a push situation. Usually that is caused by the body shifting on the chassis and air suspension is more designed to support weight from a vertical force not horizonal.

The steering stabilizer helps mainly to prevent seesawing the wheel.
We bought a new 2015 Challenger 37TB and had the same problem of sway in the back and wind and big rigs pushing us not to mention fighting to keep it straight down the road. At 1000 miles I first installed the Super Steer Trak Bar and then the Safe T Plus stabilizer. We just got back from a trip through the Smoky Mountains and it handled wonderful. It held the road great, big rigs don't push us around (cross wind will still make you grab the wheel harder) but the back end don't have any sway at all. Total cost of me and doing some work and an RV shop doing some was $1500.00.

For any more information on these items, look for Henderson Line Up and youtube videos as I did. And the Henderson folks (John) will gladly answer any questions per phone call.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:04 AM   #36

Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: Alabama
THOR #5212
Having same problems with mine FW28Z,Eprise al

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Not so much caster, but my ford dealer did notice that I seemed to have excessive camber on the front. This is a characteristic of the independent I beam front suspension design, exacerbated by too much weight in the rear making the rig "light" in the front.

He did suggest air bags - not for increasing the rear axle suspension stiffness, but to bring weight forward to the front axle, which should help the camber; and hopefully the steering response.

I am sure there is something to that as I remember when I was in the military, we had some vehicles that had a heavy communications package attached to the bed, and that made the steering pretty squirrely - and I immediately thought of that the first time I drove my motorhome - so I am pretty sure there is something like that going on.

I also notice that when I am towing my car, that at highway speeds, I can get some side to side movement in the rear (not really sway), which I think is from the toad "wagging the tail" of the motorhome. This seems to be a common thing when towing, and probably means a rear stabilizer bar (tiger trak, etc) is in my future.

The wife is wanting to buy a 5th wheel, but not after I have spent all the money on this rig trying to improve it.

I have not yet decided on air bags. If we keep it, perhaps next year.

I think each improvement is an incremental step in improving the overall handling.

Shame on the RV manufacturers for not doing these things before the rigs leave the factory. One day it will kill someone, then after all of the lawsuits, they will see the error in their ways.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #37
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
I was looking at safety plus steering stabilizers
I have a Vegas on a E450 frame and had a front alignment done along with the addition of the Safe T Plus and Sumo springs on the rear. I have noticed a considerable improvement in handling. Hope this helps.

Kev
Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #38

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Sumo Springs

After much debate about what fix would be best for sway, front end bounce and handling, I ended up installing front and rear Sumo Springs on my coach this past spring and made a world of difference. I will add that I did an alignment a year ago that made a huge difference as well in tracking.

My decision was based purely on expense and ease of use. The Firestone air bags installed with pump was just over $3500. I then came across Sumo Springs. I got a set of 4 for $1200 shipped to my door. 6 hours to install all 4 corners. and now I have @ 6000 miles behind the wheel on them. Dramatic difference.

I did see someone on this forum that paid $1500 installed on his F53.

Best part, No leaks, no air lines, no pump, no controller. Bolt on and they work!

Apparently ALLEGRO is offering them as an option on their new F53 coaches.

I highly recommend them.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 AM   #39

State: South Carolina
THOR #6691
Stabilizing steering on a class c 28he thor

We purchased our Thor 28he class c in March of 2017 Ford E450 new). First trip it was like steering a marble with a stick down the road.

I had a "SaftyPlus" steering stabilizer installed and it made a big difference in the steering. It is much easier to drive now. You feel like you have more control of the steering.

Cost was about $650 parts and labor.

JP
In Charleston SC
Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #40

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #7007
After reading this forum and doing other research...

Using Jayco's J-Ride as a guide, I went all in on suspension upgrades for my Thor Quantum RS26. I had my local Ford dealer install Helwig heavy duty sway bars, Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer, Timbren bump stops (rather than helper springs), and Super Steer rear track bar. I took an ill-handling beast and turned it into a mild mannered, predictable, stable and fun to drive vehicle. The ONLY aspect of its ride I don't like is how it handles frost heaves and pot holes on the highway. But then heavy truck chassis are not known for their compliant rides. I strongly agree with a previous post that these mods should at least be an option, and maybe even standard equipment. When you spend over $70K on an RV, $2K to make it safe to drive should not be a big issue. I just got back from a 1000 mile trip to Lake Ontario. All the mods were more than worth the money spent.

Keith