Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #19013
dolly modifications

First of all let me say that the acme eze tow is a very lightweight dolly with some great advantages - light weight , stores upright , surge breaks , galvanized .

Some of the problems we were having that may be specific to our set up
- bit difficult to load mostly getting wheels to center on straps tie downs and be tight against front bumper (might be driver error lol)
- keeping straps tight and yes we are virtually towing it flat hitch height 14 inches but sometimes you go up and down hills and hit pretty rough roads
-biggest issue is Pt has very low profile tires and stiff suspension when you crank straps tight it virtually flattened tires where front bar was digging in actually first trip it blew side walls out both front tires tire store said i over tightened straps -oops

Our solution was this - had a piece of diamond plate aluminum fabricated with angle iron guides matching outside of car wheel base and put stops on front and back added very little weight to overall.
It is very easy to load now first time get close and it falls in place . Car doesnt move at all towing side to side or front to back straps stay tight and I dont have to replace tires lol

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towrig.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	27763   Click image for larger version

Name:	start.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	27764  

Name:	finaldolly.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	27765  

Old 12-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi bevrouden

Welcome to the forum. Good idea on the modification to the tow dolly. I am also considering the Acme Tow Dolly after the first of the year. I like their set up.

Paul
Old 12-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Clever solutions.

Our Acme dolly is older so it isn't galvanized; its powder coated black. I have found that the dolly tires leak a little: have to top them off before every trip--including the spare I picked up.

As far as getting it as far forward as possible I've found that the car & dolly have to be almost perfectly aligned when loading. If not one side or the other will be away from the front guide. I'm usually pretty bad at it after winter since I haven't loaded up the car in a while--I'm sure spring 2021 I'll be horrible at it ! LOL

On two of the cars we've put on the dolly I found that I compressed the front tires after driving a while and tightening it up at the odd rest stop. (Once at a gas station we had to turn so tight that one of the front tires popped out of the straps and we had to basically unload/reload the car to get them straight again.) I've never caused a flat due to it and the tires returned to normal after unloading.

The Bolt also has pretty low ground clearance causing the bottom to barely scrape at the front rail of the dolly. So far it hasn't caused any damage, however.

Here is the collection of vehicles we've put on the dolly, LOL

Name:	axistowffe3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	27769

Name:	DSC_0504.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	27766

Name:	2017-08-08 15.07.32.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	27767

Name:	boltallreadycloseup.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	27768
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Sometimes I will take the Escape and use my Stehl tow dolly. Havent ever had another except for Uhaul so nothing to compare with.

I like the diamond plate mod

If your in the market for a tow dolly compare it against the Stehl as it truly has been a solid performer and has been over the Rockies numerous times