RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
I get it but still am a bit confused. I ordered a steering stabilizer and am considering the advice provided in this and other threads for other improvements.

My confusion comes from the variety of recommendations - sway bars, front and/or rear - rear track bar - Sumo springs - ?.

Do these all address the same issue? Is there one answer or is a combination of improvements suggested?

My rig is an 2016 Axis 24.2 on an E-350 frame.

Bill
Bill:
There's no right or wrong answer.
It's whatever you feel comfortable with drive-wise and/or money-spent wise.

That is...there are many Vegas/Axis/E350-450 class C's currently on the road that have had absolutely NO suspension or steering modifications done.
And those owners continue to drive their rigs either unaware of the difficulty to keep it straight, or unknowing of the mods that can be done to keep it straight, or unwilling to spend the $$$ to keep it straight.

So, have fun with your Vegas whatever mods you make.
But know that others on this Forum have added some or all of the mods you list.
Hopefully, thru searching the Forum you can find your answers.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Redlands View Post
I get it but still am a bit confused. I ordered a steering stabilizer and am considering the advice provided in this and other threads for other improvements.

My confusion comes from the variety of recommendations - sway bars, front and/or rear - rear track bar - Sumo springs - ?.

Do these all address the same issue? Is there one answer or is a combination of improvements suggested?

My rig is an 2016 Axis 24.2 on an E-350 frame.

Bill
RV handling may be impacted by the combined effects of:

1. The degree of front end stability (as established by the caster trail):
- caster angle (including nose attitude)
- tire diameter
- tire profile
- tire pressure
- tire construction
- speed
- front axel weight

2. Enhanced Stability afforded by Steering Stabilizers and Reducing Sway

3. The many runtime challenges to the existing front end stability:
- sway
- weight distribution
- rear overhang
- pulling a trailer
- pulling a toad
- highway grooves
- cross winds
- shock dynamics
- passing traffic

JMO

Old 05-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Much truth to all the posts above.

My rationale: 1st few trips out wife says you seem to always be correcting. But you do not seem to on trip back. That led me to damper, moreso when I pulled it was sloppy as stated above. I chose the Roadmaster due to spring back to center and additional ease of steering in event of blowoiut. Has worked great.

I did weight upon purchase. Had to reconfigure storage of car stuff as front very close to max without trailer. Rear axle plenty of spare capacity.

I have considered heavier sway bars at some point, just not urgent.

One of the big selling points of e450 based 24.1 was excess GCVW. I have never been past just under 19k giving 3000 lbs of excess. The other wss extended WB. Is 30" longer than buddies e450 class c. He cannot tow as fast and stable as I do. At max of 5600 lbs trailer has no impact on Vegas. I run large LT street tires on trailer and have been able to cruise at 75 or above without feeling likke outside safe limt.

Everybody is different but after these evercises wife took a drive with and without trailer. She though was excellent.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #7188
E-350 and E-450 chassis

Ditto all that the Judge had to say about the Ford E-450 chassis. I had to do all the same chassis upgrades on my 2017 Vegas 24.1, but mine is on the E-350 chassis so there was even more to do. The E-350 spring rates in the back were too soft so I had to add booster air bags. I was afraid to jack the motorhome up and work under it, so I had to get a truck shop to do the bags; all the rest I could do myself without jacking. I also added Bilstein shocks to tone down the crosswind swaying. The ancient recirculating ball/pitman arm steering system is inadequate. So $2000 later, it is no longer dangerous in a crosswind and drives just OK. Most of that could have been done at the factory level or where the chassis is modified for way less than I had to spend afterwards.
So what to do? The suggestions by themselves will make only incremental improvements, but taking them all altogether will make the driving much easier.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #25

Model: 35 M Windsoport
State: Texas
THOR #13876
which rear track bar did you use I just ordered on for my 2018 windsport 35 m but I think they gave me the wrong one SS400 for 16 to 19k my rig weight is 22k so it should have been the SS401 planing on installing my self once I get the right parts.

sumo Front
safety plus
balstine shocks
timbrens rear
Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #26

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by McShelby View Post
I have a 2015 Axis (E350 chassis). What worked for me was a steering stabilizer, rear track bar and front Sumo springs. All three are inexpensive, easy to install and very effective. I pull an enclosed 36 foot race trailer and the rear track bar is a necessity to reduce most of the sway. I think rear Sumo springs would help to reduce body lean, but I am happy with it the way it is.
I just did the Sumo Springs and I will add a Bilstein steering stabilizer next week...what is a rear track bar?
Old 07-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #27

Model: AXIS 25.1
State: Iowa
THOR #5084
Track Bar I use

http://supersteerparts.com/products/...-sway-bar.html