Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #21
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
They look exactly like the second picture. I purchased them online at SDtrucksprings.com and had a local shop that only work on suspensions on trucks. They also service the fire dept. and school bus vehicles. The part number for my 2016 Vegas is SSR-107-54 which is on a Ford E-450 frame. I dont know what frame your coach is on so I would call to get the correct part. Hope this helps.
Kev

Old 08-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #22
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Here's a better pic with choices. Contrary to what it may seem, I'm not trying to nit pick what things are called, I'm just trying to figure out what I would perhaps want to order.

Ken
You have it correct they are the yellow ones that say rear.
Kev
Old 08-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
They look exactly like the second picture. I purchased them online at SDtrucksprings.com and had a local shop that only work on suspensions on trucks. They also service the fire dept. and school bus vehicles. The part number for my 2016 Vegas is SSR-107-54 which is on a Ford E-450 frame. I dont know what frame your coach is on so I would call to get the correct part. Hope this helps.
Kev
OK,
Thanks a lot. My 4 winds is also on a E-450. I'm really happy about that. In the late part of the 2016 model year, they changed from 350 to 450. Our motorhome year is 2017, but the chassis is 2016 F-450. We almost bought a Vegas. The main thing that stopped us was the was the fact that the bed above the cab had to be locked in the up position when driving. That's a whole 'nother story involving the 3 cats that travel with us. We also prefer the fact the the C class has doors directly into what we call the cockpit.

Thanks again,

Ken
Old 08-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #24
Kev

THOR #3918
Stability

Quote:
OK,
Thanks a lot. My 4 winds is also on a E-450. I'm really happy about that. In the late part of the 2016 model year, they changed from 350 to 450. Our motorhome year is 2017, but the chassis is 2016 F-450. We almost bought a Vegas. The main thing that stopped us was the was the fact that the bed above the cab had to be locked in the up position when driving. That's a whole 'nother story involving the 3 cats that travel with us. We also prefer the fact the the C class has doors directly into what we call the cockpit.

Thanks again,

Ken
Glad I could help. That's funny because we bought a Class C had it for two weeks and traded it for the Vegas. They did the same with the Vegas changed the chassis in late to the E450. I do miss the two ways to get into the coach though.
Kev
Old 08-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #25

THOR #4719
Question Now What????

Everytime I think I'm getting smarter, something happens to prove it ain't so.

I looked under the front of the motorhome. (what a brilliant idea). It looks as though there is already a Safe T Plus installed. If not it is something very similar. The lever from the steering mechanism is attached to a combination of two bars. I'm guessing these are the tie rods as the end of each of these bars attaches to short small bars which clearly steer the two front wheels. Attached to the right side of the frame is a bracket holding the end of a black tube with a silver rod coming out of the other end of the black tube. the silver rod is attached to the tie rods (if that's what they are) with two u bolts.

What am I seeing? Has anyone heard of a Four Winds coming from the factory with a Safe T Plus or anything similar? How can I identify this whatever?

Ken
Old 08-14-2016, 01:05 AM   #26

THOR #4719
Here is what I am seeing. The object in question is right behind the bottom of the paper tag. It has a silver nut, bolt and washers on each end.

Ken

P.S. This is a E-450 chassis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_175732_1471136429309_resized.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	2731  
Old 08-14-2016, 01:34 AM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
What am I seeing?
My Axis had something similar. It was a small steering damper - the Safe T is much larger and also has a spring. I had to remove this damper to install the Safe T Plus.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:58 AM   #28

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
My Axis had something similar. It was a small steering damper - the Safe T is much larger and also has a spring. I had to remove this damper to install the Safe T Plus.
Thanks a lot. I was hoping that it might turn out to be something like that.

Ken
Old 08-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #29

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
I have a new 2017 Challenger 37LX and I noticed a lot of swaying while driving. First thing was to take it in for an alignment. That fixed about 70% of my issues. I went ahead and installed the roadmaster steering stabilizer and that made driving feel effortless. I would recommend having a shop adjust it right after they center the wheels. The RV tracks beautifully and handles like a dream now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	2760  
Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #30

THOR #4719
Ok, the Safe T Plus will be here in a couple days

Now the question is:
To do the installation myself or pay someone to do it?

I have all the tools I would need. I just need to convince myself that I want to do it.

I would like to hear from others who did it themselves and how they felt about it afterwards.

Can it be done without raising (jacking up) the front end? (F-450 chassis)? (I'm not very big)

Ken
Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #31

State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
I would like to hear from others who did it themselves and how they felt about it afterwards.
I installed mine on an E450 chassis. Not hard at all if you have a good torque wrench and a level spot to do it. The hardest part is getting the wheels straight. It took me one adjustment iteration.

I did not jack up the front end, although I had ramps on one side to level it.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #32

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Quote:
I drove my front end up on blocks and installed the unit myself. Very easy install. Hardest part was loosening one of the bolts holding the sway bar. Long handled ratchet broke it loose.

Installation took 30 to 45 minutes. Took it for a test drive, made one adjustment and love the way it drives now.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:28 AM   #33

State: Texas
THOR #4119
Steering stabilization

Ag&Au,

We have a 2015 Thor Axis 24.1 This RV has a lot of drift. It was a constant steering exercise. We had the RV re-aligned and it did not make a difference in the drifting. We finally decided to install the Safe-T-Plus. I had CW install it.

Immediately after the installation and sitting behind the wheel there was a significant difference. The drift is now normal. I no longer have to go through a steering exercise. It made a difference in me as well. I no longer have to mentally prepare myself to try to keep the RV in the center of the lane.

I'm glad we got a Safety-T-Plus. I am glad that CW's price to install was reasonable. We bought the device through CW and had them install it so that the warranty for the equipment and installation was with one company.

Machlin
Old 08-20-2016, 01:19 AM   #34

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by machlin View Post
Ag&Au,

We have a 2015 Thor Axis 24.1 This RV has a lot of drift. It was a constant steering exercise. We had the RV re-aligned and it did not make a difference in the drifting. We finally decided to install the Safe-T-Plus. I had CW install it.

Immediately after the installation and sitting behind the wheel there was a significant difference. The drift is now normal. I no longer have to go through a steering exercise. It made a difference in me as well. I no longer have to mentally prepare myself to try to keep the RV in the center of the lane.

I'm glad we got a Safety-T-Plus. I am glad that CW's price to install was reasonable. We bought the device through CW and had them install it so that the warranty for the equipment and installation was with one company.

Machlin
Thanks a lot for the report. I hope to see similar results. Right now we are getting a wander that is just a bit annoying. After reports, I hoping to see that disappear. I am also getting it for the safety in unexpected things, like front blowouts etc.

After thinking it over, I have found a local RV service business that has experience installing them. This seems worth the labor charge to know it has been done correctly. The post installation adjustments sounded a bit intimidating for me. Especially since level straight roads are rare around here. I'm glad someone who knows what they are doing will be doing it.

Ken
Old 08-20-2016, 03:06 AM   #35

State: Texas
THOR #4119
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the report. I hope to see similar results. Right now we are getting a wander that is just a bit annoying. After reports, I hoping to see that disappear. I am also getting it for the safety in unexpected things, like front blowouts etc.

After thinking it over, I have found a local RV service business that has experience installing them. This seems worth the labor charge to know it has been done correctly. The post installation adjustments sounded a bit intimidating for me. Especially since level straight roads are rare around here. I'm glad someone who knows what they are doing will be doing it.

Ken
Ag&Au,

Sounds reasonable. Keep us posted on your progress.

Machlin