Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483

Just letting you know what we did with our 2016 24.1 Axis. Front Sumo Springs, Saf-T-Plus (Yes, I got another one for our SOB because I like them so much) and Koni shocks all the way around. Did much better on the bridge transitions and the truck passing. Bad winds with the short wheelbase will still be bad.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #17634
On my Axis 24.1 I added Safety Plus and they recommended changing the caster when they checked the alignment. Don’t know which helped the most but it certainly is a pleasure to drive now. Can even pass large trucks one handed.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:33 PM   #23

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenorris View Post
On my Axis 24.1 I added Safety Plus and they recommended changing the caster when they checked the alignment. Don’t know which helped the most but it certainly is a pleasure to drive now. Can even pass large trucks one handed.
The most noticeable driving improvement on a 24.1 is an alignment with caster change. The caster mod increases the total alignment cost, but once it’s done all other stabilizing and sway mods will greatly improve overall ride.

It’s unfortunate that Thor does not make the appropriate alignment mods at the factory once the box is added to the Ford chassis.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:09 AM   #24

Model: Four Winds 24DL
State: Arizona
THOR #13075
Thanks, glad to know I’m not the only one.. I agree a wallowing pig !
Old 02-23-2020, 01:59 AM   #25

THOR #12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
My 24.1 has Hellwigs front and rear, Supersteer trac bar in the rear, Sumo in the front, Bilsteins all the way around and on steering. It handles really well and way way better in windy conditions. From Thor it was a wallowing pig. My next changes will install Sumos in the rear, and finish it off, I'll add some steel belted radials like Michelin XPS Rib. I'm now researching Continental "VanContact" all season tires with a 120 load index; they are marked as C225/75 R16, made for the Euro vans evidently. Some of the wallow in these is from the tires, a steel belted with a stiffer sidewalls would help. I'll stay with 225/75 R16s .

J5
Like others I also an alignment shop fix the steering... That provided additional handling, braking, and sway control capability.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:44 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPartTimer View Post
Would you be willing to share all the details of your handling improvement upgrades for your 29M?
- Sumo - front springs?
- Any stabilizer bars?
- Shocks?
- Steering stabilizer?

I would really like for it to steer and ride better, but I worry about spending thousands and thousands of dollars to end up with only "marginally" better.

What exactly have you done and what % better would you estimate each of the upgrades and then in total?

I have a 2016 29M and have only done the CHF. Am thinking I will add the Safe-T-Plus to help with the steering. The ride is pretty harsh, but then the roads here in CA are crap so . . . . I'm somewhat of the opinion that nothing is going to make a big truck, motorhome, whatever ride smooth when your roads are complete crap.

Just don't want to waste time and $$$$$$$$ if I have to wonder whether the upgrades actually made a difference or not.

Thanks for any info you feel like sharing!!!
Here us everything I did to my 29m. Front end alignment, fully loaded weight on a Cat scale to get weights for correct tire pressures, CHF front and rear, saf t plus, front sumos. Before any of these were done I felt the coach was undrivable as delivered from the factory. I joined this forum and got loads of info for handling improvements and took what I thought was a budget minded methodical approach. The first three things made the coach easy to drive, but it still wore me out after 200 miles or so. The last things make the coach enjoyable to drive and I could go all day if I chose to do that.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:19 AM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Here us everything I did to my 29m. Front end alignment, fully loaded weight on a Cat scale to get weights for correct tire pressures, CHF front and rear, saf t plus, front sumos. Before any of these were done I felt the coach was undrivable as delivered from the factory. I joined this forum and got loads of info for handling improvements and took what I thought was a budget minded methodical approach. The first three things made the coach easy to drive, but it still wore me out after 200 miles or so. The last things make the coach enjoyable to drive and I could go all day if I chose to do that.
I've done all these also and the rear track bar. For me the track bar was the best improvement

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ll do the steering stabilizer because I already have it from a previous coach and the CHF, because it’s “C” but I’ don’t really consider any of it essential. I put front Sumos on my last F53 coach and found the benefit to be negligible and certainly not worth the $500 price tag (self installed). The available changes DO make for a less tiring drive but it’s a truck after all and it drives like one. You can be safe and enjoy the life without any upgrades. You get used to it as delivered.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #29

Model: Four Winds 24DL
THOR #13075
Thanks..
Old 02-24-2020, 05:29 AM   #30

THOR #12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Thanks for the info!

I’m going to add the Safe T Plus for sure, see how I like it.

What tire pressure did you end up at?

Also curious for all you other 29m owners, does your front driver side lean down?
Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #31

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach View Post
We love our Vegas 25.3. Added the stabilizer and it handles perfectly. I am the driver (husband unable to). This size is ideal for two people! Happy travels! Attachment 22585
Do you know what brand and how much it cost? I have a 27.7 vegas. K.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #32

THOR #12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
The most noticeable driving improvement on a 24.1 is an alignment with caster change. The caster mod increases the total alignment cost, but once it’s done all other stabilizing and sway mods will greatly improve overall ride.

It’s unfortunate that Thor does not make the appropriate alignment mods at the factory once the box is added to the Ford chassis.
What exactly is this caster change you mention? Can this be done on the F53 chassis with positive results also?

What exactly would I ask my alignment shop to do for this caster change?
Old 02-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #33

THOR #12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I've done all these also and the rear track bar. For me the track bar was the best improvement

Jerry
What track bar did you get/install on the rear?

I followed your recommendation a while back on the Ready Brake hitch and have been very happy with it btw.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #34

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPartTimer View Post
What exactly is this caster change you mention? Can this be done on the F53 chassis with positive results also?

What exactly would I ask my alignment shop to do for this caster change?
It's been widely discussed that the caster must be changed on an E350/450 to: -5.1 degrees on driver side and -5.3 on passenger side

Not sure what the specs are for F53

Suggest that you use search function on this website and on Google.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #35

Model: Ace 27.7
THOR #15856
Try etralier.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Meckes View Post
Do you know what brand and how much it cost? I have a 27.7 vegas. K.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #36

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #13943
Doghouse ??

Many refer to the "doghouse" WHAT IS THIS?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #37

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
Taking an inventory of mods I've seen on this thread. I've noticed everyone has a favorite related to what makes the boat on wheels feel less like a boat on wheels.

-Sway Bars
-Steering Stabilizer
-Track bars
-Sumo Springs
-Air bags
-Bilstein or Koni shocks
-Caster modification
-Alignment (not a mod but related work)
-CHF - not sure what this is (Congestive Heart Failure?) - need an acronym index

And the winner is...
I'm starting with steering stabilizer and sway bars as they seem the most common mods. Either that or pick it raffle style.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #38

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Just a thought and maybe a thoughtless thought:
Does a steering damper simply mask the problem where a bar system, be it track bar or antisway bar/torsion bar, actually cure parts of the problem?

I don't see how a damper does anything except dampen feedback to the driver.

Don't get me wrong; I have a damper. It's not a cure, it's a fatigue lessener.
I believe in them, I don't believe they fix any sway. They aren't attached to the body, they aren't attached to the frame rails, they don't attach the body with the frame rails(the flexible parts of the frame).

If dampers do fix sway, how?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #39

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL787 View Post
Taking an inventory of mods I've seen on this thread. I've noticed everyone has a favorite related to what makes the boat on wheels feel less like a boat on wheels.

-Sway Bars
-Steering Stabilizer
-Track bars
-Sumo Springs
-Air bags
-Bilstein or Koni shocks
-Caster modification
-Alignment (not a mod but related work)
-CHF - not sure what this is (Congestive Heart Failure?) - need an acronym index

And the winner is...
I'm starting with steering stabilizer and sway bars as they seem the most common mods. Either that or pick it raffle style.

CHF = Cheap Handling Fix and I’d sure do that before I’d spend hundreds of dollars on new sway bars. It’s free and you can do it yourself if you’re “handy”. Do a search for instructions. As much as has been posted about the CHF and replacement bars I’ve NEVER read about anyone who did the former followed by the latter and reported it to be worth it.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #40

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Chf

Since the CHF is only applicable to the F53 chassis, not the E450/350, I would start with weighing the rig for proper inflations, alignment/casters and the Saf-T-Plus which is not a true steering dampener but a return to center device. I emphatically also suggest rather than taking a poll, you deal with a reputable RV/truck service center and tell them what your specific rig is doing during the drive that you do not like. Not Camping World.