Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Petes post is the reason to not take a poll.
People do what people do and then praise their investment as the best ever.
There is no chf modification for your E series, but Pete loves his and blindly recommends it to all without regard for application.
Pete's answer is a good one, it's just not applicable except on a very certain frame which isn't yours.

Those with sumos only, have no choice but to love them. The same with track bars and airbags if that's your only modification. You love it.

You can weigh the differences, you can decide bandaid from plaster cast, but I don't think you'll get a real world assessment from but the very very few who say they regret their suspension changes.
The people to listen to, in my opinion, is the 'I regret the change and changed the change' folks who have reversed a mod or added to the modification with additional modifications.

Though, I do love my singular suspension modification...8-)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:48 PM   #42

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
I like the way it rides but then a Uhaul truck is my closest previous comparison. As mentioned before, my only issue has been the lateral push when being passed. If Safe T Plus could just send the correct mounting hardware (now on their 3rd attempt) I’d install the stabilizer today. Since the 31-140 requires taking out a couple of factory sway bar bolts I’ll do the front Hellwig while I’m at and laying under my rig.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #43

Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL787 View Post
The lateral movement seems the most critical at the moment so I’ll do the safe t plus this week. Each feature alleviates a negative while creating some enhancement but I’d venture its a matter of what bothers us the most aka lateral movement, boaty feel, ride smoothness etc. I’m going to address them in that order, then install the fully autonomous self-driving feature. I’ll be in the back taking a nap while the rig takes me to my next destination...
Sorry Capt. no autopilot for your RV!

Jeff
Old 02-26-2020, 01:00 AM   #44

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
One question 25.2 axis. Rear Trac bar or rear sway bar upgrade. I can only afford one. You have to choose.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:28 AM   #45

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
One question 25.2 axis. Rear Trac bar or rear sway bar upgrade. I can only afford one. You have to choose.
I did Helwig sways on front and rear and I believe that it really makes it feel like a Suburban/Expedition. It limits rocking side to side.

Others have done sways on front and track bar on rear
Still others have done only SUMO's front and rear, no sways

The only way to know the difference is to ride in all the different options, which probably isn't possible.

So you'll have to choose
Old 02-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #46

Model: Four Winds 24DL
THOR #13075
I like your assessment, I added sumos front and rear for no noticeable change.
I will just live with it because I sure would hate to spend more $$ on a stabilizer and be disappointed.
Thanks...
Old 02-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #47

THOR #3471
Does the e450 come with a track bar already installed
Old 02-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #48

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Does the e450 come with a track bar already installed
No, just the wimpy F & R Sway bars. I installed a Track bar on my E450 3 years ago. No tail wag now.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #49

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL787 View Post
Time for another poll of the experts

Rear only? Front and rear? I’m wondering how much additional arm and sway the larger RV’s encounter aft of the rear wheels due to greater surface area?

Thoughts?
Looks like nobody address this question exactly (unless I missed it).

This is what I did for what its worth: I installed the HD Front Sway bar only .... I had a local RV'er sell me his brand new (still in the box) rear Track bar (half price ) and it gave me the results I was looking for (I also have the Safty Plus Steering Stabilizer).

I would think the rear sway bar would help me some but Im pleased with my setup (but like to think the rear would help 10% more on sway?).

The reason I think the front sway bar would help more is if you look on sports cars (Corvettes) the front bar is thicker than the rear bar from factory (so I figured it make more of a differernce?) plus the E350 / E450 has the softer Front coil springs which would give more in a turn than the HD Rear leave springs (IMO). So Therfore IMO the Front Swaybar will give you better result than the rear but BOTH would be optimal.

I hope this helps.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #50

THOR #3471
How hard was the Trac bar to install. Did you do it yourself. What brand was it. Thanks
Old 02-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #51

THOR #12231
Quote:
How hard was the Trac bar to install. Did you do it yourself. What brand was it. Thanks
Not too hard, did it by my self on my drive (no jacking required).

It was Blue Ox Trac arm.

But the instuctions that came with it was exact opposite of what it needed. It said something like "Right Side" (or Passenger side) for one bracket but when I tried to install it it would not work so I looked it up on line and it was like the left side?. (Look it up on line to confim before installing). So it took me like 3 or 4 hours to install it TWICE by myself. If you had a helper it would go much quicker.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #52

THOR #13932
Our new pilot member is on his third attempt at getting the correct Mounts for his new steering damper, things go wrong and need anticipated.

Not everything needs to save you a couple of hours labor money by doing it yourself.

Everyone should consider their ability to lay under an rv for hours while using the wrong tools before they poopoo $128ph labor costs.

The pilot is many days wait for parts but he doesn't mind because he's in a park with no other traumas.
Three weeks of torn apart in your driveway because you can't modify a part is just silly when you knew upfront you might not be able to do the job. He's capable, the vendor screwed him a couple of times on a VERY common part, maybe one of their best sellers....
Now compound his ability and frustration against your inability, lack of knowledge to know its the wrong part and frustration...

Do I have projects that have ran a year because they need mods? Yup.
Is my reverse osmosis unit sitting in a bathtub while the stupid maker tries to find the parts number for the crap they cobbled together? Yup.
The difference is I'm tired of waiting on their sorry ass and I built an adapter to use the wrong parts they sent me.
I have a dedicated 8foot long bench for wiring and soldering and just electrical electronic stuff. No other work is done at that bench. Lots of tools, lots of practice yet I had cw install my inverter.
Here's what I told them:
'I'm smart enough to do this job, which makes me smart enough to hire you to do the job'.

Someone removing the wrong bolt(or right bolt) springing the whole system out of whack while not having the ability to retension everything, is due for a tow and double the original labor costs.

Not aimed at anyone
But
If you don't know how to do the job, maybe don't tackle the job.

The dyi is rampant here. Sumos are easy, until they're not. Trackbars are easy until the 250ftlbs of Torque comes into need. Airbags are, well airbags in front are indeed easy and almost foolproof.
Rear airbags? Possibly need modified, though the vendor won't tell you, because of dually clearance issues. You better have a grinder and a bender.

I didn't do my own suspension work because I know my limitations. I am pouring and milling my own uerathane sway bar bushings because I know my abilities.

Punchline:
'do not blindly go on the path of others'

Old 02-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #53

THOR #12231
Wow Duckface... you having a bad day.

I agree with you mostly..... but im the one that hates taking my cars (and RV) to the dealers if its something that is not covered by warrantee and I think I can do it myself. Most of the time if works out just fine but sometimes (like installing the Big Foot levelers) your better off having a pro do it.

Plus if it breakdown on the road I want to know if its simple I can fix it myslef and be rolling in a hour or two. So by doing all of the mods I know what to expect and how to fix it.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:12 AM   #54

THOR #13932
I agree exactly.
I'm doing most of my mods myself.

My post boils down to(I hope) :
If you've never used a gun before, tiger hunting in flip-flops probably shouldn't be your first choice of a first choice.

We tend to tell everyone how easy it is without paying attention to how they posted.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #55

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I’ve got a freedom Traveller A27. I added a steering stabilizer, in case of a blowout, and did the cheap handling fix. Loaded coach and had front end aligned. Spin balanced both front tires. No more sway. No more side suck when being passed. No longer have to continuously correct steering when on straight road. I run 100 psi in front, 95psi in back.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:22 AM   #56

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
In case anyone is planning to do the Safe T Plus I think they may be having an issue back at the ranch. Took three tries just to get the correct mounting hardware and even that didn’t fit. FYI - their brackets apparently don’t fit on all E350 chassis.
Finally able to metal grind it enough to make it work.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #57

THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I've done all these also and the rear track bar. For me the track bar was the best improvement

Jerry

What brand track bar. Was drilling required
Old 02-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #58

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Trac Bar

Quote:
What brand track bar. Was drilling required
https://supersteerparts.com/product/...rear-trac-bar/

Take a look at the install instructions that you can download. One is for a chassis already with a rear sway bar and the other is for one that does not have one. Don't see any drilling.

Jerry's comment pertains to the F-53 chassis. You will need to figure whether yours is an E350 or E450. Vin will tell.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #59

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Duckface- That's about where I am in life and I am beyond grateful that I can be.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #60

THOR #3471
Mine is a e450 but I don’t know if it has a sway bar unless it came from Thor with one. I bought it new in 2016. I’ll check when I go to storage. Thanks a lot guys. Always helpful