Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #13111
2016 ace 30.1

I'm a newbie! I hate driving my MH or should I say fighting my steering wheel.I have appointment for front end alignment next week what else should I look into? I travel alone until hubby retires no further than 4 hours each way.rear end alignment,front or rear stabilizing bars? Scared of front tire blow out with this thing.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:56 AM   #2

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
you'll find lots of threads on handling and suspension mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeasley View Post
I'm a newbie! I hate driving my MH or should I say fighting my steering wheel.I have appointment for front end alignment next week what else should I look into? I travel alone until hubby retires no further than 4 hours each way.rear end alignment,front or rear stabilizing bars? Scared of front tire blow out with this thing.
We have a 30.2--same basic bones, different layout. First check if the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF, do a search and you will find descriptions and pictures) has been done on your coach, both front and rear. If not, see if the alignment shop will do it for you. That should help with handling. While you are at it, add a Safe T Plus, or similar, to help you maintain control in the event of a front tire blowout (assuming one is not already installed). In my opinion, these are the minimum mods that you should undertake for safety and handling. Some forum members stop there, others do more--remember we have different coaches and different driving comfort levels!!! As for us and our coach, we did the CHF, alignment, SafeTPlus and also added a rear Trak Bar and front and rear sumo springs. We are done with handling and suspension mods now--she handles pretty well in most condItions. You can do modifications piece meal and evaluate the results before doing anything else, or decide what makes sense for you and bring it in once and you are done.
There will be lots of opinions on what you can or should do; and some of the folks will have no issues with their rigs as is. Just keep in mind that they aren't the one driving your rig!
Have fun, keep us posted, and happy travels.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:30 AM   #3

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Handling

Had a 2016 ACE 29.3 that was a bear to drive. I had been aligned, but it was a two handed drive in order to feel safe. It was tiring to drive and trucks passing made it sway. Traded to 2018 Challenger 37 YT and it drives like a car. Drive with one hand all time and do not tire driving it. Dealer and Thor said it the longer wheelbase, heavier RV, and the 22.5" wheels instead of the 19.5" wheels. Governor is set at 77 MPH and still very stable at that speed. (Not that I have ever done that)
Old 09-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Our 2015 30.1 was the same thing. Alignment helped some next came the CHF front and rear and that made a great difference. Still may put on a rear track bar, just haven't decided to spend the money. Jim.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #5

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
We have a 2016 30.1 and have had the front end allinment, then came the Safe-T-Plus, then the CHF. That helped a lot, but then I did the rear track bar and that helped even more. Now I mostly drive with one hand on the wheel, but now and then will still get some push from trucks.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3486
Our 2016 30.1 is very easy to drive and handles well(was not fun at first).
I installed rear trac bar and added additional rear sway bar.
Also make sure your tires are inflated properly