Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Sounds interesting, doable and worthwhile - Has anyone added these to a Thor Palazzo 36.1 size unit? After my recent knee surgery it may take my a while to move around and look into this, never mind get down and crawl around to do the work.
I dont think so. Yours is an AIR RIDE Freightliner chassis. We are hoping to make our Ford Chassis handle half as good as yours. Plus you could not dump your air bags and make your chassis drop down anymore (These would hold it up) not to mention it makes for a firmer (some say rougher) ride.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #42

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Thanks for the reply - Good point, yup, we have the air ride suspension, just not enough experience yet with driving it in all situations - only have put 2,200 miles on since we bought it - can't wait to get moving in the unit again after some OEM issue corrections - A/C, Black Water Flush, Water Filter location, leaking Ice Maker, etc.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:20 PM   #43

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Did you take it for a test drive? What do you think?
After driving yesterday about 50 miles on highway and traffic, I’m pleased with the results of the Sumo install on the fronts.

A more firm and sturdy ride, in a good way.
Both side to side, front to back.
Minimal sway, even when encountering dips in road or driveway.

It now drives like a Chevy Suburban or large SUV.

I’m ready to add the rear Sumo Springs.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #44

THOR #12231
Ok, good to know. Did you go with the softest one?

I might try shocks first. I like the way mine rides overall but it it was a tad firmer that would be fine too.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #45

THOR #13362
Quote:
Ok, good to know. Did you go with the softest one?

I might try shocks first. I like the way mine rides overall but it it was a tad firmer that would be fine too.
Blue ones
I listed item numbers and cost in a previous post

Yellow ones with a steel collar will be on back. I can’t understand why the yellow ones are $275
Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2 View Post
I installed mine a month ago. Big improvement. You will like them. I assume you did the rears also?
When you say "Big improvement": can you please expand on that a bit? Does your Sprinter rock from side to side less? Is it more precise in the turns?
(I've got a Sprinter as well... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 PM   #47

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Blue ones
I listed item numbers and cost in a previous post

Yellow ones with a steel collar will be on back. I can’t understand why the yellow ones are $275
Ok, thanks.

Because they can. The yellow color is derived from the rare yellow flower call "Thor-berry". LOL.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:42 PM   #48

THOR #12231
If they are too firm.....

I guess If I installed the Sumos and I find they are little TOO firm for my tastes I could either shave off 1/4 inch from the bottom of them (to allow the axle to move up more before contact) perhaps even cut 1/8 more at a time until Im happy with ride (but this might defeat any benefit for sway control?).

Or drill some holes in the bottom half inch of the sumo (Going straight up .... not sideways) so soften the first 1/2 inch or so? You could start with one hole then add more until happy with ride??

Any thought on these ideas to soften a firm Sumo if not happy with ride?

I think in the spring I will try shocks first... I really like my ride overall and I have the front sway bar and rear track arms replaced so it feels good on the road to me.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #49

THOR #13362
Quote:
I guess If I installed the Sumos and I find they are little TOO firm for my tastes I could either shave off 1/4 inch from the bottom of them (to allow the axle to move up more before contact) perhaps even cut 1/8 more at a time until Im happy with ride (but this might defeat any benefit for sway control?).

Or drill some holes in the bottom half inch of the sumo (Going straight up .... not sideways) so soften the first 1/2 inch or so? You could start with one hole then add more until happy with ride??

I think in the spring I will try shocks first... I really like my ride overall and I have the front sway bar and rear track arms replaced so it feels good on the road to me.
All good ideas you have

You should consider adding the Moog end links on your front sway bar to replace stock end links. A Forum contributor broke a stock end link after adding the Helwig front bar.
It’s really cheap insurance and can be purchased on Amazon.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:18 PM   #50

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:

After installing Sumo's on the rear of my 23TR class C I doubt you would NOT like them if you go with the model recommended for your coach. I personally would not try to reinvent them. If I didn't like them I would remove them.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:04 PM   #51

THOR #12231
Quote:
All good ideas you have

You should consider adding the Moog end links on your front sway bar to replace stock end links. A Forum contributor broke a stock end link after adding the Helwig front bar.
Yeah I tought about it. I check them about 4 times a year... so far so good. But its on my long term mods list.

If you have the F53 chassis and do the CHF it more important (IMO) since they are changing the angle and adding more stress to the stock components. But on the E350/450 we are replacing with a HD bar and the angles remain factory (But I bet the are seeing more force applyed to them as well).

Was his bar on F53?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:22 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
All good ideas you have

I've seen this happen in other applications.
Adding a "better" end link should be high on your list of priorities.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:06 AM   #53
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Bob, I think your Wayfarer comes standard with SUMO Springs.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:09 AM   #54
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:

SUMOS would be my First Mod in any future Motorhome I buy. This should be a MANADATORY install on all Rvs from the factory!
Old 02-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #55

THOR #13362
Quote:
Yeah I tought about it. I check them about 4 times a year... so far so good. But its on my long term mods list.

If you have the F53 chassis and do the CHF it more important (IMO) since they are changing the angle and adding more stress to the stock components. But on the E350/450 we are replacing with a HD bar and the angles remain factory (But I bet the are seeing more force applyed to them as well).

Was his bar on F53?

The recent PM that MichFigs sent me was in regards to his ‘18-Vegas 24.1...

Quote:
”I would purchase the upgraded MOOG end links for the front sway bars, as they are beefier than the Ford parts. (should have done this when I installed the Hellwig's last spring- instead of in late October after the driver side failed while driving to a campsite).”
The theory is that the Helwigs are much beefier than stock, put more downward force on the Ford OEM end links, thus the weakest point is now the Ford OEM end links.

The Moogs are abt $28 a piece.

But, the front SUMO’s will help reduce downward force as well
Old 02-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #56

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
Just started researching installing SSR-106-40-1 on my rear suspension. After deciding I could do it, I discovered a bracket welded onto each side of my frame right where the Sumo Springs would mount on my Vegas 25.4. Very sad [emoji20]
I've done this install multiple times...here's what I found.....when you put the sumo's in the sumo recommended spot...they make the ride real choppy,,,the front mounting idea is too close to the front leaf spring mount...causes a pogo effect... though the best place is right above the axel, most of the time there is not room for this... but... for best results... mount them behind the axel...you will be amazed at the difference..I've been to sumo's factory in carpenteria and have done R&D work with Gerry...to mount them behind the axel you simply swap them side to side ...I do custom sumo installs, as in I change out height and durometer to customize the end result to what the coach is used for..

most ill handle conditions I have found to be the loose nut behind the wheel...motorhomes don't have to have sumos to be able to go down the road....there are millions out there with out them...so the argument whether they are needed or not is not gonna be won...but as said.they sure make the ride more comfortable ..I have a total 100% happy owners on all my installs.. some of them I had to give driving lessons.....motor homes are like boats,,, they have to take a set...sawing at the steering wheel can make them react violent..
Old 02-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #57

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
SUMOS would be my First Mod in any future Motorhome I buy. This should be a MANADATORY install on all Rvs from the factory!
there is rumor that the new ford chassis will have sumos….they are doing a lot of closed door R&D on the new chassis..and rumor has it they are testing with Sumo's

can't wait to see what they come up with.....
Old 02-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #58

THOR #12329
Just a little more info on sumo's sumo's are a progressive load rating..as in the more they are compressed the stiffer the durometer...the first thing I always do is take the loaded coach and get it weighed,then on a level spot (I have a 4 post rv lift) I measure and record all four corners, although sumos will up the carrying capacity of the spring.....the axel rating remains the same... so adding sumos doesn't up the GVWR... it makes it handle the load better, the weight is real important per install..some people run down the road pretty dry,.. and then there are the ones that won't leave home without it...as in the they have one or two of each crammed in there..thats where custom install nets the desired results...you can get real close to the weight of the coach by just looking at the yellow sticker on the screen door... if it says there is 2100lbs carring capacity... that means the coach weighs 15,900..on an 18,000 lb chassis..

so pretty easy to figure that a guy that loads right up to the 18k rate is gonna want a stiffer bag than the guy that is only 16.5k..

next is wheel travel..I like to have about 1/2'' compression on the bag... that'll net the smoothest ride...there are multible bag heights, so sumo has put together kitsthat try to fit all.... but,.. as most of you that have installed these have found...coach builders do every thing different...gas lines, propane pipes, bundles of wires, and coach floor come in to play...

happy travels
Old 02-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #59

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I have a Thor Siesta 24SS built on a Mercedes Benz chassis. I am planning on buying and installing the sumo springs myself. It looks like an easy do it yourself project. I look forward to no more side way swaying going over speed bumps and wind issues by passing trucks.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #60
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
there are millions out there with out them...so the argument whether they are needed or not is not gonna be won...but as said.they sure make the ride more comfortable ..I have a total 100% happy owners on all my installs.. some of them I had to give driving lessons.....motor homes are like boats,,, they have to take a set...sawing at the steering wheel can make them react violent..
I think you answered your own argument. Put SUMOS on if you want a more comfortable ride. Who doesn't? Other MFG's add them as a stock item not an option. Great summary for those on the fence.