Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2022, 02:21 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #15940
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I think your list is good, but I would move up swaybars to #3. Here is my recommended order:

1. Good alignment with 5+ degrees of caster. This really helped steering feel and reduced wandering.

2. Steering stabilizer. Greatly reduced wandering, and less getting pushed around when semis pass.

3. Big swaybars. Reduced roll and more overall stability.
4. Upgraded shocks. These helped ride and stability somewhat, and reduced wallow on undulated roads, but not as significant as the above mods.
5. Helper springs/bumpstops (such as Sumo or Timbren).
A friend of mine who has an F53 chasis just put Sumo springs on by himself at home. He says it made a huge difference in ride and stability. And it wasn't expensive compared to some upgrades.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:17 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tom View Post
A friend of mine who has an F53 chasis just put Sumo springs on by himself at home. He says it made a huge difference in ride and stability. And it wasn't expensive compared to some upgrades.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:20 AM   #23
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
First a front end alignment is not a bad idea.

Then drive it. Drive in the slow lane and when a semi passes, does it try and push you first to the left and then when it gets to your front to the right. If so, larger anti sway bars help a lot. If not, or the push is hardly noticeable, you do not need them.

Safe-T Plus Steering Stabilizer is great to help with a front end blowout. It can help with wind gust as well. If you keep your tires to seven years or less manufacturing age and ten psi over the minimum required by the weight/load tables per the manufacture, you should not need to worry much about a blowout except for hitting a road hazard. But then you would expect it and be ready for it.

Koni shocks are great, but unless you bottom out when hitting a pothole, your shocks should be fine.

Sumo springs should not be required. If you want them and it makes you feel better, get them.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:27 AM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
First a front end alignment is not a bad idea.

Then drive it. Drive in the slow lane and when a semi passes, does it try and push you first to the left and then when it gets to your front to the right. If so, larger anti sway bars help a lot. If not, or the push is hardly noticeable, you do not need them.

Safe-T Plus Steering Stabilizer is great to help with a front end blowout. It can help with wind gust as well. If you keep your tires to seven years or less manufacturing age and ten psi over the minimum required by the weight/load tables per the manufacture, you should not need to worry much about a blowout except for hitting a road hazard. But then you would expect it and be ready for it.

Koni shocks are great, but unless you bottom out when hitting a pothole, your shocks should be fine.

Sumo springs should not be required. If you want them and it makes you feel better, get them.

That's pretty sound instruction.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:07 AM   #25

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodZone View Post
I recently purchased a 2018 Windsport 35M and I am planning some suspension upgrades. But first, a little backstory....

We are the second owners of this rig and while the previous owners took great care of it, all the suspension components are stock. The husband was accustomed to driving large vehicles and did not feel the need to make any changes. The wife drove behind the rig in a chase vehicle and did not often spend time in the rig while underway.

I am interested in making some suspension improvements to increase both the quality of the ride and ease of handling in challenging conditions. I have created a wish list of possible component upgrades and I am unsure which should come first. I figure I would add an upgrade to address the most noticeable issue, and then move on to the next issue. I suspect there is a point of diminishing returns and I may not even need to install all the upgrades I am considering.

Question for the group: Which suspension modifications did you make, and which did you make first? I have listed them in the order that makes sense to me. Here's what I am thinking...
Front-End Alignment
Safe-T Plus Steering Stabilizer
Koni Shocks
Rear Trac Bar
Front/Rear Sway Bar
Sumo Springs
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m, a little shorter that yours. I love my coach and have done several things to improve the handling for stability and a smoother ride. Your listing all good choices but I don't feel a steering stabilizer is a good move. Many may disagree but an alignment is always good for driving comfort and tire wear so do that first!! I started with Sumo springs on the front. They were cheap and I installed them myself. Made a big difference! Next, I wanted to install a Anti Sway bar in the back. On most RV's and the F-53 frame the stock bar is in front of the differential, the Road Master sway bar goes to the rear so you actually have 2 sway bars and THAT made a huge difference! Last thing I did was install all new Bilstien shocks. Also a big improvement. The brand is not that important, again some may differ but getting quality shocks is very helpful. In my opinion the rear track bar is redundent if you add a sway bar but I could be wrong. For the money I don't know of 3 things that could have given me the ride I have than those. That extra 6 feet of coach my require more than I did but I'd say do one at a time and stop when your happy with driving it!!! Bob Trice
Old 01-09-2022, 05:51 AM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Here are the changes I made on our 2020 ACE.

Front and rear Roadmaster sway bars and Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer (had the alignment checked loaded and full tank of fuel and fresh water prior to it and it was good). It made a huge difference in handling and is very stable now.

We previously had a 2006 Winnebago on a GM chassis. It had some Supersteer components (including weight matched front springs), Bilstein shocks and rear Sumo springs.....it rode rough and didn't handle nearly as well as the ACE.

No matter what you do, you are still driving a top-heavy machine and can't expect miracles. It will take some time and miles to get used to it and feel comfortable driving, especially through one lane construction zones where you have very little margin for error.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:39 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #25444
We went on a 250 mile shakedown cruise overnight first. Fixed a few things then we took three days to make a 1200 mile trip to Florida while towing our Toyota Sienna (yes, I disconnected the driveshaft to the rear). I got more used to driving it each day, but it still wasn't fun. The first day the joints in my fingers hurt from gripping the wheel so hard. Thank God I installed the Sumo Springs before we left. That helped the roll. Passing trucks and uneven road surface with worn in tire ruts didn't help. The best ride was I 295 E around Jacksonville. It has a section of brand new, level, cement roadway and the traffic was very light. That was one handed cruising and almost fun. We're in Southern Florida now. Where do I take it for an alignment? What would be an approximate cost?

Could someone please tell me what CHF is ("Cheap Handling Fix" didn't help my understanding)?
Boca Raton, FL
Steve Beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Beamer View Post

Could someone please tell me what CHF is ("Cheap Handling Fix" didn't help my understanding)?

CHF applies to F53 chassis. It is not possible on the E-series chassis your Vegas is on.

CHF is a mod to the rear factory sway bar.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:50 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Oregon
THOR #19629
2017 31s Windsport

I had many of the same questions, where to start & bang for buck.

I chose to start with Added/Upgraded Sway Bars from Roadmaster. They replace the front and add one to the rear. Also chose to add the steering stabilizer. Pretty noticeable change in driving experience. My next goal is to add the rear track bar to help reduce tail wag. I think all of these things help, and length of rig and chassis gross weight may influence what contributes to the most comfortable ride for you, the key is to be confident and comfortable with your driving...otherwise its not fun.

An entertaining but useful video from SuperSteer.
https://youtu.be/3q3hFV4HnZU

Good luck!
CP
Old 02-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #30

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPass58 View Post
I had many of the same questions, where to start & bang for buck.

I chose to start with Added/Upgraded Sway Bars from Roadmaster. They replace the front and add one to the rear. Also chose to add the steering stabilizer. Pretty noticeable change in driving experience. My next goal is to add the rear track bar to help reduce tail wag. I think all of these things help, and length of rig and chassis gross weight may influence what contributes to the most comfortable ride for you, the key is to be confident and comfortable with your driving...otherwise its not fun.

An entertaining but useful video from SuperSteer.
https://youtu.be/3q3hFV4HnZU

Good luck!
CP
Alignment and front wheel balance.