Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Suspension upgrades

Purchased my 2016 ACE 29.3. Noticed some challenges in driving the rig. After considerable research, I competed the front CHF, safe-t plus, front and rear sumo springs, rear track bar, rear anti-sway bar (I actually have a spare rear anti-sway bar for a F53 18K with shock absorbers mounted parallel to the ground if anyone is looking for one ) and front and rear cermatics wheel balancers. I also realigned my steering wheel. The rig has been weighed, tire pressure based on the weight. All is good :-)

Old 04-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #22

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon70 View Post
I for the most part think these upgrades are a complete waist of money. Nothing and I repeat nothing will compensate for all of those little things things your coach wants to do like experience behind the wheel. 1,000 miles or so and you’ll be compensating for things just like you do in your car and you won’t even think about it.
Well everyone has their own opinion but I am pretty sure that a large majority of people here can disagree with you including myself. Suspension improvements are a safety item and when ford builds the chassis they have no idea how they will be used and therefore leave the factory in the exact same condition. Adding the rear link alone stops the sway from semis passing you. If you are happy with what you have then that is perfect for you. I dont believe you should have to make due when you can improve and get a more relaxing ride.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #23

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlanchard View Post
Purchased my 2016 ACE 29.3. Noticed some challenges in driving the rig. After considerable research, I competed the front CHF, safe-t plus, front and rear sumo springs, rear track bar, rear anti-sway bar (I actually have a spare rear anti-sway bar for a F53 18K with shock absorbers mounted parallel to the ground if anyone is looking for one ) and front and rear cermatics wheel balancers. I also realigned my steering wheel. The rig has been weighed, tire pressure based on the weight. All is good :-)
DITTO! I have done all the same, drives as close to a dream as it gets!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #24

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
There's prolly a thread on this somewhere I just haven't found it so I'll start a new. Other than the doing the CHF on the F53 chassis what suspension up grades have most of you done? Steering stabilizer? Sumo springs? Upgraded sway bar? I haven't even had this coach on the road other than the 35 miles driven home from the dealer and everybody is telling me do this or do that. I am thinking the steering stabilizer should be first as it is will assist if you get a blow out. Thoughts please.
Tx Mark
Luckily, the only other owner of my 2016 29M Hurricane did some things....very good things. Put Bilsteins all around....all four corners, added a Roadmaster on the front to recenter the steering and put added sway bars front and back. Keep the tires at 82 psi and it's as good as it will get and it's very good. Had a C Class that I had no idea where it was headed....Freedom Elite...had an ACE 27.2 which was better when I went to 75 fronts and 80 on the rears and that was much better but the Hurricane is very good....stable, not much when trucks pass and I can hit 70 mph and not know it....although I like to do about 63-65. IT's sa bunch of money...probably with installation approaching 2 grand but so glad this other guy did it.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #25

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Well everyone has their own opinion but I am pretty sure that a large majority of people here can disagree with you including myself. Suspension improvements are a safety item and when ford builds the chassis they have no idea how they will be used and therefore leave the factory in the exact same condition. Adding the rear link alone stops the sway from semis passing you. If you are happy with what you have then that is perfect for you. I dont believe you should have to make due when you can improve and get a more relaxing ride.
I agree with you. F-53's coming off the motorhome factory are borderline stable and dangerous to drive on roads with curves, grades or wind. The mods I've made (Safe-T-Plus, Koni Shocks and a rear track bar) have transformed how it drives. Still not up to DP quality but I don't feel afraid of ending up in the ditch (or in once case the Colorado River) every time a truck goes past or we get hit with a wind gust.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #26

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I agree with you. F-53's coming off the motorhome factory are borderline stable and dangerous to drive on roads with curves, grades or wind. The mods I've made (Safe-T-Plus, Koni Shocks and a rear track bar) have transformed how it drives. Still not up to DP quality but I don't feel afraid of ending up in the ditch (or in once case the Colorado River) every time a truck goes past or we get hit with a wind gust.
Yeah, unfortunately I dont think there is anything we can do to make it ride like a DP. I had a 34' DP years ago that was brand new and the ride was certainly much better. Difference is I paid $30k more for that option over gas. I love my Thor just fine lol. One thing I wonder though is if air ride might increase the comfort and handling level.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #27

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: Missouri
THOR #5861
I purchased our 2015 29.3 a couple of years ago and was terrified when the semis passed us! Driving is easier after getting 10,000 miles or so under my belt, but I installed the larger Roadmaster front sway bar and Roadmaster steering assist. Our trip to Florida was much calmer this last January. I'll bet the Safe T Plus products are just as good, I just like the customer service at Raodmaster. I do wish I'd been on this forum before and tried the CHF before purchasing the heavier front sway bar.

I've had a few issues with Thor quality, but overall very happy with the 29.3, also the couple of times I called Thor for wiring diagrams, they were very helpful.

Welcome to the club!!!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #28

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #6059
Suspension upgrades

Shortly after purchase I completed the following:
*Alignment
*CHF
*Road master steering stabilizer
*Sumo Springs front and rear
*Koni shocks

My MH drives absolutely wonderful, cruise down the highway one handed, semi’s pass by with very little reaction to my rig, much easier handling in high crosswinds. Pulling into and exiting driveways at gas stations and other locations much less rock and roll😊
If I had one complaint, is that on real crappy highways like I-65 etc. We still have the shake rattle and roll of the repair joints, bridge joints and patched areas etc.
The only fix to these bad roads would be maybe air ride suspension of a DP?

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.1
S/W Florida
Old 04-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #29

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerling2219 View Post
I purchased our 2015 29.3 a couple of years ago and was terrified when the semis passed us! Driving is easier after getting 10,000 miles or so under my belt, but I installed the larger Roadmaster front sway bar and Roadmaster steering assist. Our trip to Florida was much calmer this last January. I'll bet the Safe T Plus products are just as good, I just like the customer service at Raodmaster. I do wish I'd been on this forum before and tried the CHF before purchasing the heavier front sway bar.

I've had a few issues with Thor quality, but overall very happy with the 29.3, also the couple of times I called Thor for wiring diagrams, they were very helpful.

Welcome to the club!!!
Adding the rear track bar will correct the sway from semi's.

If you are handy and have access to any metal working machines you can make a track bar for less than $50,
Old 04-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #12625
What is the correct part number for sumo springs for a 2019 Hurricane 34j. The f53 would be a 2018. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #31

Model: 27k
THOR #13292
Here’s what I did and it’s actually enjoyable to drive now. Thor Hurricane 27-k
New aluminum wheels-totally changed the harshness of hitting bumps in the front as they are so much lighter allowing the suspension to work better, sumo springs in front, remote air bags in back,-I wanted control of variances of weight and pulling a toad, CHF, steering stabilizer. Also did alignment and found the rear axle mount was welded in the wrong spot causing the wheel to be backwards too far amd not square with vehicle so. Easy to see as well as it wasn’t centered in the wheel well.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #32

THOR #13292
Call the company. Great customer service!!!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #33

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Quote:
I for the most part think these upgrades are a complete waist of money. Nothing and I repeat nothing will compensate for all of those little things things your coach wants to do like experience behind the wheel. 1,000 miles or so and you’ll be compensating for things just like you do in your car and you won’t even think about it.
You could be right...but I upgraded my 2016 Toyota 4runner (Timbrin suspension, air bags) and the mods (together with sway bars on trailer) helped level the load while towing my 2014 Holiday Rambler Alumalite Ultra. I will report back once I pick up my new coach and let everyone know what I think of the Sumosprings.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #34

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanh1 View Post
Haven't driven our new rig much, maybe 300 miles so far. Our first class a so didn't know what to expect. Initially very disappointed with the handling, sawing our way trying to keep straight, all the time feeling somewhat unsure of the stability. Installed the blue Safe-T-Plus and the heavy duty Roadmaster rear sway bar. Better, but still not great, but we don't intend to try anything else. Guessing the big $$ units are much different, but out of my league. So, we're retired, no great rush to get anywhere, we'll stay max 60mph on the interstates and reduce the stress! 2019 Thor Windsport 33x.
I agree that going more than 60 mph is scary! Even if the Sumosprings help, I don't intend to exceed that.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:29 AM   #35

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Not getting a lot of love on this! But I tend to agree with you. My last two RVs were on the F53 chassis and I’ve been pretty happy with how they drive as delivered. Just checked the alignment and tire pressure. Mostly it just took a few trips to get the hang of it. I did finally put the Roadmaster steering stabilizer on as I think it might be helpful in a blowout emergency or a wheel dropping off the edge of the pavement (which is what happened to me when an inattentive oncoming driver veered into my lane. There was a moment of considerable terror when I swerved onto a poor quality shoulder!). I’m not sure the stabilizer is better for driving , just different. I am now doing the front and rear CHF because everybody raves about it and it is, after all, “C”. Maybe it’ll be transformative!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:35 AM   #36

THOR #13292
I own 360 wing sprint cars. One could never tell me little things in the suspension don’t do anything. Ridiculous comment. The gf couldn’t drive it before upgrading everything. Has no problem with it now. It hugs the road. It’s not like our new Yukon Denali that practically drives itself.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:37 AM   #37

THOR #13292
New aluminum wheels really helped with bumps. Weight issue I guess. Hardly noticeable now
Old 04-07-2019, 01:46 AM   #38
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
Besides the play in the steering wheel, my other main complaint is the rough ride. Hitting a bump or pothole is bone jarring! Has anyone found a fix for the rough ride?
Old 04-07-2019, 02:16 AM   #39

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeGrpArchitek View Post
I agree that going more than 60 mph is scary! Even if the Sumosprings help, I don't intend to exceed that.
In Ca 55 mph is max if towing. So i do 58 . On my october trip to Arizona and New Mexico speed limit is much higher 70 or 80 i forget. I averaged 65. I feel that is the sweet spot for my mh. It drove great and i got a little better gas mileage

And i also think most of these mh need some mods to make them drive better.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:32 AM   #40

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Your absolutely correct.... everyone does have their own opinion and their own experience. I stand by my statement that nothing replaces experience. Many new to motor homes think all these mods are going to make their coach drive like the family sedan. Been there done that.
Just trying to make the point that ain’t gonna happen. As I said before, you do learn to compensate without even thinking about and that death grip on the steering wheel slowly relaxes. It’s not my money your spending so if it makes you feel better have at it.