Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 27k
State: Missouri
THOR #13292
If you have steel wheels I strongly suggest considering aluminum. Bone jarring bumps don’t exist anymore.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #42

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon70 View Post
I for the most part think these upgrades are a complete waist of money. Nothing and I repeat nothing will compensate for all of those little things things your coach wants to do like experience behind the wheel. 1,000 miles or so and you’ll be compensating for things just like you do in your car and you won’t even think about it.
Had a Freedom Elite Class C and an ACE 27.2...neither had upgrades. The Hurricane 29M has them as described above and there is a big difference. Nice to finish off a day of traveling without white knuckles.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #43

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Suspension upgrades

Quote:
I for the most part think these upgrades are a complete waist of money. Nothing and I repeat nothing will compensate for all of those little things things your coach wants to do like experience behind the wheel. 1,000 miles or so and you’ll be compensating for things just like you do in your car and you won’t even think about it.
I could not disagree more after real world experience.

I have been towing boats and snowmobile trailers for over 30 years. When I picked up my Class C I expected some differences but I was not prepared for the "white knuckle" experience.

I put almost 3000 miles on thinking I would get used to it. After a 5 hour drive back from the dealer last month in strong winds and heavy truck traffic, I had had enough.

I made changes to the sway bars, steering stabilizer and added SumoSprings. The difference could not have been more dramatic after those changes. It is no longer a white knuckle experience and it now handles closer to a large SUV. Truck traffic and wind does not blow it out of the lane. It tracks straighter. It no longer feels top heavy or porpoises as it had.

Was more than worth the investment in parts and my time to do it.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #44

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I could not disagree more after real world experience.

I have been towing boats and snowmobile trailers for over 30 years. When I picked up my Class C I expected some differences but I was not prepared for the "white knuckle" experience.

I put almost 3000 miles on thinking I would get used to it. After a 5 hour drive back from the dealer in strong winds and heavy truck traffic, I had had enough.

I made changes to the sway bars, steering stabilizer and added SumoSprings. The difference could not have been more dramatic after those changes. It is no longer a white knuckle experience and it now handles closer to a large SUV. Truck traffic and wind does not blow it out of the lane. It tracks straighter. It no longer feels top heavy or porpoises as it had.

Was more than worth the investment in parts and my time to do it.
Exactly, if you have a broken leg you could put up with the pain of trying to walk without assistance but if a crutch can make your life easier why wouldnt one use it? Life is hard enough as is, Im going for ease as I drift into retirement I commend Dragon70 for his heroic efforts
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #45

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStuart View Post
If you have steel wheels I strongly suggest considering aluminum. Bone jarring bumps don’t exist anymore.
Interesting. I’d really like to hear exactly why this is. I can understand how taller tires inprove the ride but I’ve put aluminum wheels on nearly every vehicle I’ve ever owned (for looks) and never noticed a difference. Your saying that a steel wheel that weighs maybe 10 lbs more than aluminum on a coach that weighs in the neighborhood of 18,000 is going to make a difference? Not seeing the science here.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #46

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco05 View Post
First first thing I did was a safe-t-plus now we just ordered my Sumo Springs Im going to put them on this week lastly in the next couple of months I'll be putting in the upgrade sway bars (Roadmaster) and that should do it. I noticed a monster change in drivability with the safe T Plus.
good luck keep us posted
We ran into horrendous cross winds while driving through Oklahoma in early February, in our 2016 Vegas 25.3. After doing the entire state and parts of Texas with the wheel cranked 1/4 turn, we added Georgia to our impromptu trip and had a SafeT Plus system installed at the factory. I also got on Amazon and had Sumos ordered and delivered before we made it back to Tennessee. I haven't driven yet, but hubby says the steering stabilizer has made a 75% improvement to the handeling. Cant wait to get the Sumos on and then I'm thinking Gumbo in New Orleans for a test drive!
Old 04-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #47

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
F53 Caster is Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
There's prolly a thread on this somewhere I just haven't found it so I'll start a new. Other than the doing the CHF on the F53 chassis what suspension up grades have most of you done? Steering stabilizer? Sumo springs? Upgraded sway bar? I haven't even had this coach on the road other than the 35 miles driven home from the dealer and everybody is telling me do this or do that. I am thinking the steering stabilizer should be first as it is will assist if you get a blow out. Thoughts please.
Tx Mark
Alignment - Caster is Key? - Forest River Forums
Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #48

THOR #4796
Quote:
Before the husband and I sink anymore 'wasted' money into handeling fixes for our Vegas, and since you seem to have such conviction about this subject, please tell me what YOU DID to your coach, suspension and handeling-wise, that absolutely didn't make any difference. Please don't tell me "safe T plus, because we already found that changed our world!
Old 04-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #49

State: Nevada
THOR #10325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
There's prolly a thread on this somewhere I just haven't found it so I'll start a new. Other than the doing the CHF on the F53 chassis what suspension up grades have most of you done? Steering stabilizer? Sumo springs? Upgraded sway bar? I haven't even had this coach on the road other than the 35 miles driven home from the dealer and everybody is telling me do this or do that. I am thinking the steering stabilizer should be first as it is will assist if you get a blow out. Thoughts please.
Tx Mark
Well lets see I had a 32 foot Monaco Monarch F53 Ford Chassis for 4 years when it was 15 years old. No modifications and it ran and drove like a dream. For me the only Mod needed was to add insulation under the hump or Word Cage to muffle the noise so you can carry on a conversation. Last year we bought a 2019 Thor Challenger 37 LX it has the F53 Chassis and we have been to Texas and back a few times and Miami Florida and again no Modifications. Have the front end aligned and you should be good to go or toss your money in the trash and think there is a difference. Enjoy.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #50

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Go drive yours. If 18 wheelers push you all over, then you may want to do some upgrades. If not or everything seems fine, don’t do anything. I did some upgrades but I also do track days with my sports car and understand how they work.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #51

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmingfriend View Post
Well lets see I had a 32 foot Monaco Monarch F53 Ford Chassis for 4 years when it was 15 years old. No modifications and it ran and drove like a dream. For me the only Mod needed was to add insulation under the hump or Word Cage to muffle the noise so you can carry on a conversation. Last year we bought a 2019 Thor Challenger 37 LX it has the F53 Chassis and we have been to Texas and back a few times and Miami Florida and again no Modifications. Have the front end aligned and you should be good to go or toss your money in the trash and think there is a difference. Enjoy.
Well if you never done the mods to your RV how do you know its a waste of money?

I have seen a great improvement with my front HD front Swaybar/ rear track arm and Saftey Plus steering stabilizer. And it just not in my mind.

The RV is Much easier and safer to driver in all conditions. The wife could tell a difference from the passenger seat. Not to mention it makes the RV more fun to drive (esp on long trips) and less fatigue.

But some people to expect more out of their rides than others. Some are happy with 20 year old cars and dont care about handling and others have to have a new ride every couple of years.

Some would never purchase a BMW while others (once they have driven one) cannot see living without one. To each his own but dont tell us it dont make difference.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #52

THOR #4796
Double blind study without a control group? (Kidding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well if you never done the mods to your RV how do you know its a waste of money?.
Pretty much where I was going with my above comment. Without a comparison to be had, one cannot for certain KNOW modifications make no difference...OR, a positive difference, even. It's akin to saying asprin doesn't help alieviate a headache, without actually testing the theory. I've found most everyone on the forums who have made changes to their coaches with respect to handling report significant imorovements, myself included.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #53

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Pretty much where I was going with my above comment. Without a comparison to be had, one cannot for certain KNOW modifications make no difference...OR, a positive difference, even. It's akin to saying asprin doesn't help alieviate a headache, without actually testing the theory. I've found most everyone on the forums who have made changes to their coaches with respect to handling report significant imorovements, myself included.
i agree completely. Its also a good idea to do one mod at a time and test how or what improvement it did. Then do the next mod if needed

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #54

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
i agree completely. Its also a good idea to do one mod at a time and test how or what improvement it did. Then do the next mod if needed

Jerry
I'm totally on-board with this... Not because it makes sense, as much as because we can only afford one mod at a time!
Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #55

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post

Jerry

You are correct Jerry. One at a time. Not what I did.... but if I could get a do over that’s how I would do it. I did front and rear sway bars at the same time. Then did the stabilizer, then the track bar and finally the front sumos. And my wife can tell the difference. It handles completely different.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #56

Model: Axis
THOR #4455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
You are correct Jerry. One at a time. Not what I did.... but if I could get a do over that’s how I would do it. I did front and rear sway bars at the same time. Then did the stabilizer, then the track bar and finally the front sumos. And my wife can tell the difference. It handles completely different.
In what order would you recommend these modifications?
Old 04-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #57

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
1. Alignment 2. weigh each corner for proper recommendation of tire pressures 3. Saf-T-Plus After that, decide if you want the Sumo Springs, possibly shock absorber improvement with Konis or Bilsteins. We went with Konis and could tell the difference in better handling.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #58

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Suspension Upgrades

I removed the factory bump stops with Sumo Springs on my 2018 Thor Siesta which is built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis. That was an easy upgrade I was able to do myself. Works great.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #59

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

Start with alignment. I added sway bars next. Then a roadmaster stabilizer. Sumos and last a track bar. Everyone will have an opinion. The sway bars were a really big deal on my rig and they don’t cost much if you do the install.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #60

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
At the risk of extending this long thread....did any of you who replaced the sway bars try the CHF first? And/or just upgrading the rubber bushings to urethane ones?