Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #121

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Rich,
I can help you with all this. Have all the tools. Just let me know

Jerry

Jerry I have a few things I would like to do. Come on down to Magnolia, TX.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #122

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Jerry I have a few things I would like to do. Come on down to Magnolia, TX.
Send me a plane ticket Jeff.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 AM   #123

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess1946 View Post
So, I just got my new (to me) Thor 27.2 ACE. I got under it today, thinking I could do the CHF. This was the front bar. However, the links are about 2" short to connect with the proximal (inboard) hole on the stock sway bar. I saw on a forum that I could get Hellwig 7962 adjustable links. They're about $125. Here's my questions:

Is the CHF essentially equivalent to putting on a new sway bar? The Roadmaster is $500+. If it's better, I'll put out the cash for that rather than spend less and have less improved results.

Is the situation the same for the rear links?

I plan to put on a track bar and SafeTPlus stabilizer as well. I was hoping that the CHF, steering stabilizer, and track bar would significantly improve things.

Rich Guess
If you're going to do all the extras, do those and let the CHF go...the other things are probably going to serve you better.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #124

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Send me a plane ticket Jeff.

Jerry

Jerry, I think I would need to send you two plane tickets. I will get my list of “to do” together and send it to you. We would love to have you and your wife come over anytime. You and Dino have been such a huge help to me.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #125

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #12011
I installed the front, two-piece SumoSprings yesterday. Easy install with the MH up on the hydraulic jacks, with jack stands for safety, of course. Took it for a test drive this morning and it feels great. Driving on a fairly rough CA road and the springs absorbed most of the bumps, much smoother ride. These were a good investment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8D7CE2C7-E906-430A-B0DD-D9C9C9577A2A.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	16862  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #126

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Mississippi
THOR #14259
My new Windsport 29M blew me all over the highway on its first trip and shook so badly the new satellite dish was hanging on to the roof only by the cables within a hundred miles! The scariest trip of my rving life—which began in the 80’s. After reading this thread, I have added the Roadmaster steering stabilizer and, even in windy conditions with trucks passing me between Tupelo MS where I had it installed and my home on the MS/TN border, I stayed between the lines. YAY! Now I want to go one step further and get the front (or both front and rear?) Sumos. The RV repair shop owner is telling me the SumoSprings he gets are made for bigger motorhomes than mine since the gvwr on mine is only 18k. I’m reading here that other 29M owners are installing Sumos. What is the model number of the front and rear Sumos for 18K GVWR for F-53?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #127

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelernet View Post
My new Windsport 29M blew me all over the highway on its first trip and shook so badly the new satellite dish was hanging on to the roof only by the cables within a hundred miles! The scariest trip of my rving life—which began in the 80’s. After reading this thread, I have added the Roadmaster steering stabilizer and, even in windy conditions with trucks passing me between Tupelo MS where I had it installed and my home on the MS/TN border, I stayed between the lines. YAY! Now I want to go one step further and get the front (or both front and rear?) Sumos. The RV repair shop owner is telling me the SumoSprings he gets are made for bigger motorhomes than mine since the gvwr on mine is only 18k. I’m reading here that other 29M owners are installing Sumos. What is the model number of the front and rear Sumos for 18K GVWR for F-53?

I can’t remember the model number but I got on etrailer website and found the info there.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #128

THOR #14259
Found it. Much appreciated! Looking forward to a smoother ride!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #129

THOR #14120
Quote:
Found it. Much appreciated! Looking forward to a smoother ride!

I had the same experience driving my 31Z home. So far I have added roadmaster front and rear sway bars, stabilizer, rear track bar and front Sumos. It’s all good now. Have you had a front end alignment?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #130

THOR #14259
Yes. That was the first thing done. Made no difference. That’s when I got on this forum and went for the steering suspension. So glad I did. It was a great start. It’s so annoying to purchase a rig that not only isn’t road ready, it’s actually dangerous on the road. The satellite dome could’ve bounced off the roof on the freeway, caused an accident that could’ve killed someone. NOT GOOD!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #131

THOR #14120
Quote:
Yes. That was the first thing done. Made no difference. That’s when I got on this forum and went for the steering suspension. So glad I did. It was a great start. It’s so annoying to purchase a rig that not only isn’t road ready, it’s actually dangerous on the road. The satellite dome could’ve bounced off the roof on the freeway, caused an accident that could’ve killed someone. NOT GOOD!

If you’re like me....I pick up knowledge just shortly after I need it. Like you, I would expect Thor would add some suspension items to help with the big box they put on the F53. That’s just not how it works.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 AM   #132

Model: Windsport 31s
State: British Columbia
THOR #13341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsmith4845 View Post
I installed the front, two-piece SumoSprings yesterday. Easy install with the MH up on the hydraulic jacks, with jack stands for safety, of course. Took it for a test drive this morning and it feels great. Driving on a fairly rough CA road and the springs absorbed most of the bumps, much smoother ride. These were a good investment.
So, you definitely feel that the Sumos smooth out the ride, got rid of some of the harshness over bumps? This is what I am after, not so much the swaying...
Old 04-24-2019, 02:59 AM   #133

THOR #14259
Based on what I’m reading here, I’ll go with the front Sumos, see how they go along with the steering stabilizer already installed, and make a decision on the rear Sumos after that. I love this forum!
Old 04-24-2019, 03:37 AM   #134

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #12011
Quote:
Originally Posted by russncath View Post
So, you definitely feel that the Sumos smooth out the ride, got rid of some of the harshness over bumps? This is what I am after, not so much the swaying...
Yes, the front Sumos smoothed it our quit a bit. The front feels much more planted now, much less bump coming through the steering wheel
Old 04-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #135

THOR #14120
Quote:
Based on what I’m reading here, I’ll go with the front Sumos, see how they go along with the steering stabilizer already installed, and make a decision on the rear Sumos after that. I love this forum!

Traveler net, look for a thread “ Jerry Hurricane mods “. I just happen to find it the first time I got on the Thor forum. That thread has a ton of information AND Jerry is great about answering questions.... really everybody is good about helping.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:53 AM   #136

THOR #14259
Thanks for the suggestion to look at Jerry’s posts. Wow! What a wealth of info! While I will always have to bring my rig in to have mods made to it mechanically, I can hang up Command picture frame holders for curtain rods, etc. Great ideas! I even picked up ideas for surge protection. It’s going to take me a long time to get through all his posts though. I’ve only just begun!
Old 04-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #137

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Florida
THOR #14140
newbie here

ok reading all of the replies but what is CHF?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #138

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers1 View Post
ok reading all of the replies but what is CHF?
Here is a link to 406 pages about the cheap handling fix (CHF).<http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap-handling-fix-72335.html>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #139

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Here is a link to 406 pages about the cheap handling fix (CHF).<http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap-handling-fix-72335.html>

Good lord! How can there be 400 PAGES on this simple change?! Since Ford calls it an owner choice it it’s just a decision to try it or not.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #140

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
It is about the brackets, bushings, roll centers, links, plates, bolt torque, anti-lock fluid (blue, red, green), etc. Some good, some bad, some guesses, lots of empirical data, some technical info in the post. I been reading it for 4 years for entertainment, but not for sage advice.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote