Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
In what order would you recommend these modifications?
alignment, safe t plus, chf, rear track bar, front sumo

And yes weigh coach fully loaded to set proper air pressure in tires

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #62
Ron

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
THOR #1675
Do Sumo's improve the Ride? The Handling? Or both? My biggest complaint is the ride is bone jarring.

Those who have installed extra insulation...what kind did you use and where did you get the insulation material? Did you insulate the entire front section or just under the doghouse cover? How do you attach it?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #63

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Sumo Springs

I installed Sumo Springs on my 2018 Thor Siseta which is built on a Mercedes Benz Chassis. They make a big difference. Cuts way down on side to side motion especially going in/out of driveways or over speed bumps. They also reduce the wind motion when passing or being passed by large trucks. They were easy for me to install.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #64

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Do Sumo's improve the Ride? The Handling? Or both? My biggest complaint is the ride is bone jarring.

Those who have installed extra insulation...what kind did you use and where did you get the insulation material? Did you insulate the entire front section or just under the doghouse cover? How do you attach it?

I got sound dead and heat barrier for the dog house. Found on Amazon. Self adhesive. It’s up to you what you want to use Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1964.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	16642Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	16643
I have also put sound dead under the drive and passenger sides of the cockpit. Plan to add heat barrier next. Again I got everything from Amazon.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #65

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I got sound dead and heat barrier for the dog house. Found on Amazon. Self adhesive. It’s up to you what you want to use Attachment 16642Attachment 16643
I have also put sound dead under the drive and passenger sides of the cockpit. Plan to add heat barrier next. Again I got everything from Amazon.
Looks exactly like my pictures. I also got everything from Amazon.

I put Dynamat on the inside of the doghouse over the excuse for a doghouse liner that Thor provided. I then covered it with the Dynamat hood liner. I bought a large box of Dynamat so I'd have some to put under the driver and passenger floor. Haven't done that yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4430.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	16646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4442.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	16647  

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #66

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
Looks exactly like my pictures. I also got everything from Amazon.

I put Dynamat on the inside of the doghouse over the excuse for a doghouse liner that Thor provided. I then covered it with the Dynamat hood liner. I bought a large box of Dynamat so I'd have some to put under the driver and passenger floor. Haven't done that yet.

That’s exactly what I used. Big difference. Even bigger when you get the cockpit done
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #67

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
Does anyone ever just keep it stock? I understand why these upgrades are done, but in my younger years I drove many a commercial vehicle and never had an issue. Our Class C has never been a problem with handling. The Class A we just bought does not have any noticeable movement when a truck passes or on horrible roads or wind. I don't know. I am not opposed to the upgrades if it will make a SIGNIFICANT difference I guess.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #68

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Suspension upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Does anyone ever just keep it stock? I understand why these upgrades are done, but in my younger years I drove many a commercial vehicle and never had an issue. Our Class C has never been a problem with handling. The Class A we just bought does not have any noticeable movement when a truck passes or on horrible roads or wind. I don't know. I am not opposed to the upgrades if it will make a SIGNIFICANT difference I guess.

I have pulled boats and snowmobile trailers for 30 years and am very comfortable in all conditions..... wind, heavy truck traffic, snow, etc. I can back into any spot without an issue.

When I bought my first Class C last year I expected there to be a difference even though it was shorter than some of the trailers I have towed. Maybe things have gotten worse over the years but I never expected it to be a white knuckle driving experience every time I was behind the wheel.

Wind or heavy trucks pushing me out of my lane.... front end wandering..... feeling top heavy.... poor ride comfort.... etc.

When I changed sway bars, replaced the stock damper and added SumoSprings, it was a SIGNIFICANT difference is handling and ride comfort.

It’s a joy to drive now and was well worth the money. Wish I didn’t have to spend it but it was worth it.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #69

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have pulled boats and snowmobile trailers for 30 years and am very comfortable in all conditions..... wind, heavy truck traffic, snow, etc. I can back into any spot without an issue.

When I bought my first Class C last year I expected there to be a difference even though it was shorter than some of the trailers I have towed. Maybe things have gotten worse over the years but I never expected it to be a white knuckle driving experience every time I was behind the wheel.

Wind or heavy trucks pushing me out of my lane.... front end wandering..... feeling top heavy.... etc.

When I changed sway bars, replaced the stock damper and added SumoSprings, it was a SIGNIFICANT difference is handling and ride comfort.

It’s a joy to drive now and was well worth the money. Wish I didn’t have to spend it but it was worth it.

I had the same white knuckle experience. Did the upgrades in my class A. My wife and I drove home Sunday in 25-35 MPH winds. We would have never done that before the upgrades.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #70

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
am very comfortable in all conditions..... wind, heavy truck traffic, snow, etc. I can back into any spot without an issue.

Maybe things have gotten worse over the years but I never expected it to be a white knuckle driving experience every time I was behind the wheel.

Wind or heavy trucks pushing me out of my lane.... front end wandering..... feeling top heavy.... poor ride comfort.... etc.

Interesting. Our class C has been a pleasure to drive just stock. I generally relax in the seat an 2-finger it headed down the highway. Gusting high winds is a different matter, though. It seemed an adventure in my 20s in a big rig. Now I worry about the wife and dogs. Perhaps I should let her be the judge in this new class A. I am confident in my driving skills, but if she feels ill-at-ease or the dogs get sick then I will do some upgrades. And in my 50s I am already seeing my responses to things are not QUITE like when I was 21. Safety first, right??
Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #71

THOR #11266
Quote:
I had the same white knuckle experience. Did the upgrades in my class A. My wife and I drove home Sunday in 25-35 MPH winds. We would have never done that before the upgrades.
What are the issues you found in your Hurricane? We just bought the 29M. Test drove in some high winds, but we are used to that. It's those 50+ MPH gusts that surprise me. Are you feeling top heavy sway or general steering/handling issues?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #72

THOR #14120
Quote:
What are the issues you found in your Hurricane? We just bought the 29M. Test drove in some high winds, but we are used to that. It's those 50+ MPH gusts that surprise me. Are you feeling top heavy sway or general steering/handling issues?

Before the upgrades I had a hard time keeping it in my lane when getting passed. It feels top heavy, tail wag and the ride was terrible. I am very new and don’t have any experience driving a class A. I have a lot of experience pulling horse and boat trailers with no issues. This is not the same.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #73

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Suspension upgrades

Good for you. I also thought stock was fine even in New Mexico with wind alerts being broadcast. I did eventually add a steering stabilizer thinking (hoping) it would help in a steering emergency (steer tire blowout or dropping g a front wheel off the pavement). I’m not sure it made the driving better but it is a bit less loose. I’m in the process of doing the CHF but only because it’s C and it gets rave reviews. I’m open to “better” but have no actual complaints with stock.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #74

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Interesting. Our class C has been a pleasure to drive just stock. I generally relax in the seat an 2-finger it headed down the highway. Gusting high winds is a different matter, though. It seemed an adventure in my 20s in a big rig. Now I worry about the wife and dogs. Perhaps I should let her be the judge in this new class A. I am confident in my driving skills, but if she feels ill-at-ease or the dogs get sick then I will do some upgrades. And in my 50s I am already seeing my responses to things are not QUITE like when I was 21. Safety first, right??

I agree that safety driving these rigs is paramount. I’m also in my mid-50’s and know what you mean.

I drove a Penske Box Truck from PA to
FL about the size of my Class C about 10 years ago. It was not nearly as bad from a handling and ride comparison to my Outlaw 29H. That’s why I was a little surprised at the difference.

I thought I’d get used to it or it would get batter with time but after 2500 miles, I had enough and made the changes.... and I won’t look back. I think it is much safer and much more comfortable to drive.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:52 AM   #75

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Quote:
That’s exactly what I used. Big difference. Even bigger when you get the cockpit done

I am going to do the doghouse for sure! Thank to both of you for the info.

How do you do the cockpit? Thank you!
Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 AM   #76

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane34J View Post
I am going to do the doghouse for sure! Thank to both of you for the info.

How do you do the cockpit? Thank you!

The cockpit is not easy. I used the front levels to get the front up as high as I could. Then I just took my 66 y/o butt and dragged it around underneath until everything was covered. Thank god my wife was not home to get pictures!!
Old 04-17-2019, 02:02 AM   #77

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Quote:
The cockpit is not easy. I used the front levels to get the front up as high as I could. Then I just took my 66 y/o butt and dragged it around underneath until everything was covered. Thank god my wife was not home to get pictures!!
Ha. I think I am getting the idea. If you are able to take pictures of the underside of the coach for us and share, that would be awesome.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #78

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Installed new front Sumo springs on my 29M today, very easy to do took about an hour in the driveway and used the front levelers to raise the front a little.
Went for a test ride and noticed a big differance in the ride and bumps seem alot smoother also no more or very little leaning during turns. Well worth the $463.00 that I paid for them.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #79

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane34J View Post
Ha. I think I am getting the idea. If you are able to take pictures of the underside of the coach for us and share, that would be awesome.
You DO know that you are asking him to drag his '66 year old butt' back under that coach...right? (I agree... Pictures would be great. Of the insulating job too! )
Old 04-17-2019, 11:08 PM   #80

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
You DO know that you are asking him to drag his '66 year old butt' back under that coach...right? (I agree... Pictures would be great. Of the insulating job too! )

The weather was bad today. I will drag my 66 y/o butt under the coach as soon as it dries out.