Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #81

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
Installed new front Sumo springs on my 29M today, very easy to do took about an hour in the driveway and used the front levelers to raise the front a little.

Went for a test ride and noticed a big differance in the ride and bumps seem alot smoother also no more or very little leaning during turns. Well worth the $463.00 that I paid for them.
did you install the one piece or two piece front sumos

I originally had the one piece think they are called Maxims. They separated at the bracket. Sumo cs was great and gave me the option of what I had or the new two piece sumo. I chose the two piece. Much smoother ride. The one piece was kind of rough. I could feel every bump on the road

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have the one piece Sumo’s installed front and rear.

I didn’t want a harsh ride so I went with the 500lbs (instead of the 1000lbs option) on the front and the 1600lbs on the back (instead of the 2800lbs option).

It is a very smooth ride now and the coach is much quieter hitting bumps, etc.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #83

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane34J View Post
Ha. I think I am getting the idea. If you are able to take pictures of the underside of the coach for us and share, that would be awesome.
I put dynamat under driver and passenger floor. Crawled under got in between motor, shocks, frame to get it in place.

The flooring underneath is in sections due to bracing. I first took measurements then cut the dynamat to fit. Then put each piece in its spot. Easier to work with the smaller pieces

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 04-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #84

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
You DO know that you are asking him to drag his '66 year old butt' back under that coach...right? (I agree... Pictures would be great. Of the insulating job too! )

Ha ha. I thought maybe his back was okay and he could lean over and snap snap (not the sounds of anything breaking of course).
Old 04-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #85

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I did the two piece.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:11 AM   #86

THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I put dynamat under driver and passenger floor. Crawled under got in between motor, shocks, frame to get it in place.

The flooring underneath is in sections due to bracing. I first took measurements then cut the dynamat to fit. Then put each piece in its spot. Easier to work with the smaller pieces

Jerry
Makes sense. I guess that answers my question of is that stuff okay to mount / stick outside and "hanging" down. Also, where it would probably get wet from the tire "spit." I was thinking it was originally designed to be laid on a floor so on top of the metal. Not on the underside. I ordered some yesterday. I guess my weekend plans are now set.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #87

THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
The weather was bad today. I will drag my 66 y/o butt under the coach as soon as it dries out.

Don't break anything... but if you can get pictures, we would be grateful!
Old 04-18-2019, 02:14 AM   #88

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
did you install the one piece or two piece front sumos

I originally had the one piece think they are called Maxims. They separated at the bracket. Sumo cs was great and gave me the option of what I had or the new two piece sumo. I chose the two piece. Much smoother ride. The one piece was kind of rough. I could feel every bump on the road

Jerry
I went with the new two piece Sumo's
Old 04-18-2019, 03:51 AM   #89

Model: Windsport 31s
State: British Columbia
THOR #13341
As far as Sumo springs go, do they actually smooth out the ride? The wife likes to camp at a lake, way out in the boonies that involves driving on a few miles of gravel road, some of it is washboard with potholes etc. Right now the ride is extremely harsh when driving there. Would the Sumos help in a situation such as this? Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 AM   #90

THOR #3156
sumos help stop the side to side sway
FMCA # F464385
Old 04-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #91

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Sumo Springs

I too added the Sumo Springs to my 2018 Thor Siesta Class C which is built on a Mercedes Benz Chassis. Very easy to install. I used the hydraulic levelers and a bottle jack for safety. A much improved ride after the installation. They ran me about $365.00 and about 1 1/2 hours of my time.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #92

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #12011
Hi Jerry,

I’m curious why you only installed the Sumo’s up front. We have a 2018 ACE 30.4 and I’m looking to add Sumo springs to even out the ride a bit. Front and rear or just front?

Thanks,
Tim
former USN Aviator
Old 04-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #93

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
You DO know that you are asking him to drag his '66 year old butt' back under that coach...right? (I agree... Pictures would be great. Of the insulating job too! )

Ok. Here are some pics
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2042.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	16729
This is what I used

Name:	IMG_2028.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	16730
This is what it looks like. I recommend you get the tool to roll over the entire area.

Name:	IMG_2030.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	16731

Name:	IMG_2032.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	16732

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	16733
Took my phone to get the above pictures.

This will go on top

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	16734

Name:	IMG_2041.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	16735

When I looked into doing this I found a lot of products. Made the decision to use these based off of the reviews and cost. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #94

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Well we just got the Jeep and MH back from the dealer after having the Roadmaster base plate and tow bar equipment installed. I was waiting to see how the MH handled pulling the car before launching into full blown mods mode. I am thinking the MH needs a track bar and the CHF first. The CHF strictly because of the cost, track bar to help with wag effect. I didn't notice a significant front end push on the I state when being passed by the big rigs and the wife is growling about all the somolians I am spending on the MH so I need to spend wisely on the next couple improvements. The MH seems to roll (sway) on certain surfaces, will the CHF make significant improvement or should I scrap the track bar for now and invest in something else?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #95

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Well we just got the Jeep and MH back from the dealer after having the Roadmaster base plate and tow bar equipment installed. I was waiting to see how the MH handled pulling the car before launching into full blown mods mode. I am thinking the MH needs a track bar and the CHF first. The CHF strictly because of the cost, track bar to help with wag effect. I didn't notice a significant front end push on the I state when being passed by the big rigs and the wife is growling about all the somolians I am spending on the MH so I need to spend wisely on the next couple improvements. The MH seems to roll (sway) on certain surfaces, will the CHF make significant improvement or should I scrap the track bar for now and invest in something else?

I did roadmaster front and rear sway bars and that helped but I also added the track bar. If I had it to do over again I would have done one at a time.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #96

THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Ok. Here are some pics
Attachment 16729
This is what I used
Attachment 16730
This is what it looks like. I recommend you get the tool to roll over the entire area.
Attachment 16731

Attachment 16732

Attachment 16733
Took my phone to get the above pictures.

This will go on top

Attachment 16734

Attachment 16735

When I looked into doing this I found a lot of products. Made the decision to use these based off of the reviews and cost. Hope this helps.

Thank you!
Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #97

Model: A.C.E. 32.1
State: Alaska
THOR #7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon70 View Post
I for the most part think these upgrades are a complete waist of money. Nothing and I repeat nothing will compensate for all of those little things things your coach wants to do like experience behind the wheel. 1,000 miles or so and you’ll be compensating for things just like you do in your car and you won’t even think about it.

I agree, mostly. I have 6k miles on our new rig since we bought it in Oct of last year. I haven’t done any suspension changes and don’t feel any are necessary. Just wish Indiana would pave their roads...
Old 04-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #98

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyd00 View Post
I agree, mostly. I have 6k miles on our new rig since we bought it in Oct of last year. I haven’t done any suspension changes and don’t feel any are necessary. Just wish Indiana would pave their roads...
I'm with you here,... I bought a 2019 29m... needs nothing...I'm almost afraid to do anything to it as it works so good...might put sumo's on the rear to help when I pull the big trailer..but it works fine as is...I get free sumo's shocks and sway bars, installed free, so if needed they get put on...
Old 04-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #99

Model: Windsport 31s
State: British Columbia
THOR #13341
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I too added the Sumo Springs to my 2018 Thor Siesta Class C which is built on a Mercedes Benz Chassis. Very easy to install. I used the hydraulic levelers and a bottle jack for safety. A much improved ride after the installation. They ran me about $365.00 and about 1 1/2 hours of my time.
So, a smoother ride? Or just less swaying side to side, as some are saying?...I am looking for a smoother ride, and dont want to spend the $700-800 they want for Sumo's up here in Canada, if the ride is not somewhat smoother!....
Old 04-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #100

Model: A.C.E. 32.1
State: Alaska
THOR #7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
I'm with you here,... I bought a 2019 29m... needs nothing...I'm almost afraid to do anything to it as it works so good...might put sumo's on the rear to help when I pull the big trailer..but it works fine as is...I get free sumo's shocks and sway bars, installed free, so if needed they get put on...

If price wasn’t an issue, I’d probably try Sumo’s. Going to need you to introduce me to your contact!