Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #141

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
It is about the brackets, bushings, roll centers, links, plates, bolt torque, anti-lock fluid (blue, red, green), etc. Some good, some bad, some guesses, lots of empirical data, some technical info in the post. I been reading it for 4 years for entertainment, but not for sage advice.
I've read of it also. I get daily emails of all new posts to that thread

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #142

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #12011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsmith4845 View Post
Yes, the front Sumos smoothed it our quit a bit. The front feels much more planted now, much less bump coming through the steering wheel
We took our ACE 30.4 on a road trip this weekend, 400 miles round trip towing a 6000# enclosed car trailer. Even with decent cross winds (20-30 knots), gusty conditions, and CA highways, the drive was really effortless. One hand steering. The front Sumo springs and SuperSteer rear trac bar have really helped.

Tim
Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #143

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsmith4845 View Post
We took our ACE 30.4 on a road trip this weekend, 400 miles round trip towing a 6000# enclosed car trailer. Even with decent cross winds (20-30 knots), gusty conditions, and CA highways, the drive was really effortless. One hand steering. The front Sumo springs and SuperSteer rear trac bar have really helped.

Tim
I agree with the summation. I think, if you tow with a short wheel base coach (190 inches), a rear track bat is a necessity to keep you from wandering across a winding road. If you travel at close to the max gross weight; then, Sumo springs (front and rear) really help with the sway and ride quality.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #144

Model: 34J Windsport
State: Louisiana
THOR #15123
I never did the CHF...Ordered Sumo Springs as soon as we got home from the dealership. They installed the Safety Plus Steering Stabalizer for me there.

Sumo Springs are the way to go, very satisfied and the worst part was removing rear tires.

Here locally, an onramp to Interstate make a hard curve...before Sumo 8 - 10 mph with a lot of Oversteer for correction and upper RV sway...After Sumo 25-28 mph with no steering issues.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:45 AM   #145

Model: Windsport 31s
State: British Columbia
THOR #13341
Well, got the front Sumos installed today. Definitely improved the ride quality! Now if I could just get rid of the rattling feeling in the steering wheel over rough roads, I would be real happy! Anyone else experience this? Or is it a case of loose bolts on my rig, as I found 1 bolt holding the front track bar half undone! When I did the CHF on the rear, one loose bolt on the rear sway bar...! Going over rough spots on the road, you can watch the steering wheel shaking if you take your hands off it momentarily.... doesn't seem right. Will have to do some checking in the future....
Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #146

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Sumo springs yes or no?

I've done the CHF front and rear, Steering Stabilizer rear Trac bar. Just got home from a 4860 mile trip. I 10, I 70 and I 40 kicked my butt. The small pot holes and tar covered cracks in the pavement rattled away what's left of my brain.
The bulk of the wag and sway are gone assuming the winds are less than 40MPH
The question is will I get my money's worth out of New Sway bars or Sumo Springs?
What I'm looking for it less of the shock from the small bumps traveling up the steering wheel.
TIA
Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #147

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Sumo Maxims springs only help with the big bumps, as they replace the hard stock bump stops. They help most when the coach is loaded to the max weight. The only help for the front over small bumps are better shock absorbers, softer front springs and lower front tire pressures. Remember the Sumo Maxims actually increase the spring rate amplifying the small imperfection in the pavement.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #148

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Sumo Maxims springs only help with the big bumps, as they replace the hard stock bump stops. They help most when the coach is loaded to the max weight. The only help for the front over small bumps are better shock absorbers, softer front springs and lower front tire pressures. Remember the Sumo Maxims actually increase the spring rate amplifying the small imperfection in the pavement.
That's what I was thinking, I'll look into better shocks they have to be cheaper than the Sumos anyway.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #149

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14927
My dash rattle was terrible when I first bought my MH. Turns out the two bolts that hold the wooden dash to the metal sub-frame were sheared off and just along for the ride. I reattached it with 8 self-tapping bolts. No more rattle.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:19 PM   #150

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Colorado
THOR #11629
I didn't have the patience to read all 8 pages of this thread but I though I'd weigh in on what I did. There seem to be so many options for upgrades I was unsure which way to go. The handling was absolutely horrible and even terrifying at times. My rig came with a stock steering stabilizer but I replaced it with a Bilstein. I also replaced all 4 shocks with Bilsteins. Replaced front and rear anti-sway bars with Hellwigs and new Moog end links. It handles like a dream now!!! I didn't do the Sumo Springs because I didn't want to overdo it and they seemed the least likely to improve the handling.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #151

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbarbee View Post
I didn't have the patience to read all 8 pages of this thread but I though I'd weigh in on what I did. There seem to be so many options for upgrades I was unsure which way to go. The handling was absolutely horrible and even terrifying at times. My rig came with a stock steering stabilizer but I replaced it with a Bilstein. I also replaced all 4 shocks with Bilsteins. Replaced front and rear anti-sway bars with Hellwigs and new Moog end links. It handles like a dream now!!! I didn't do the Sumo Springs because I didn't want to overdo it and they seemed the least likely to improve the handling.
To add to the confusion, I started with Sumo Springs and the difference is amazing. No regrets. Handles curves better, dampens side to side sway, and doesn't wander in ruts on I-80.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #152

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Having the Sumo springs installed as we speak.....
Old 05-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #153

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrimmer View Post
Having the Sumo springs installed as we speak.....
Let us know what you think.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #154

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14927
Opinions vary but from what I've read the general consensus for suspension mods is CHF, steering stabilizer and rear Trac bar. In that order.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #155

THOR #13360
Shock question?

I just looked at the shocks on my F 53 chassis They look like Bilstiens yellow body and blue sleeve.
Any body with OEM Shocks what do the look like?
I don't want to replace shocks with 17k miles if they are Bilstiens already
TIA
2105 Windsport 34E
Old 05-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #156

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Getting ready to order a rear track bar, I read on another forum that if you go to the back-side of your RV, and push the RV at shoulder height from one side to the other, if it moves right to left a Rear track bar is needed, if it sways from side to side like a tree it needs a sway bar.
So I gave it a try and the whole RV moves from side to side (wonder if this is the effect of a truck passing you) Try it and you will see what i mean.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #157

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
Getting ready to order a rear track bar, I read on another forum that if you go to the back-side of your RV, and push the RV at shoulder height from one side to the other, if it moves right to left a Rear track bar is needed, if it sways from side to side like a tree it needs a sway bar.
So I gave it a try and the whole RV moves from side to side (wonder if this is the effect of a truck passing you) Try it and you will see what i mean.
All I know is that the trac bar improved the side to side sway when you are passed by a truck and also the lean when going around turns
Old 05-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #158

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
I just looked at the shocks on my F 53 chassis They look like Bilstiens yellow body and blue sleeve.

Any body with OEM Shocks what do the look like?

I don't want to replace shocks with 17k miles if they are Bilstiens already

TIA

2105 Windsport 34E
I was told Ford had Bilstien make low quality shocks for them. After market Bilstiend are suppose to be much better

I have no written confirmation on this but was told by what I think us is a reliable source

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #159

THOR #13360
Jerry, That figures, I think I'll order a set for the front and see if it helps
Thanks,
Old 05-05-2019, 01:00 AM   #160

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
The OE shocks certainly are Bilstien. Says so right on the tube. They don’t really cost all that much so I’d be somewhat surprised that Ford would bother to downgrade them. But perhaps they already come in different specs.