Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Iowa
THOR #2078
Red face Nimble Wireless Pet Temperature Monitor

This is a new product to measure the inside temperature of your coach while you are away. So that you can safely leave the pets inside while you are gone. It works off the Verizon network.
We ordered one and so far I cannot recommend it. It has failed to work more than it has worked. We have had it about 6 weeks. They are sending us a new unit so we shall see.
The best place it worked was in our house kitchen which is not of much use.
Tech support is on and off again. It is totally an Indian product and this brings the usual issues of language and cultural gaps. However, the oddest thing is that there is no support outside of Monday to Friday 9 to 5. I find this odd for a product that will be used on weekends.
They do have a nice looking website but so far this is better than the product. I will repost if we get it to work reliably.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Jersey
THOR #4954
Thanks for the feedback - this type of device will be on our list if it is effective. I saw a camera that I thought would be good I guess the cellular network is going to be an issue . Unless they rely on campsite cable and that will limit thier use
Old 08-16-2016, 06:10 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I just read this thread, and did some searching. I found this device.

HomeSitter Temperature, Water, and Power Alarm (HS-700)

A light went on!!!
Doesn't happen often at my age.

Somewhere around here, I have a device that makes devices like this think that a cell phone is a home phone. If I can find it, I am thinking that we could leave one cell phone(we always have 2) in the RV and connect this monitor to it. We could configure the monitor to call our other cellphone. To clean it up we could forward incoming calls directed to the phone left in the RV to the phone we take.

This would eliminate the need to pay an addition cell line charge.

If I get anywhere with it, I will post the info here. If anyone else tries this or something similar let us know.

The device I have is this or something similar.

http://www.startechtel.com/panasonic...Q#.V7Kv0ZiU3IU

Her's another link if you want to research some other products.

http://www.diycontrols.com/t-freeze-...son-chart.aspx

My conclusion after reading the above chart is that there are many ways to accomplish this including landline, cell and wireless. One could also leave a cell phone in the trailer configured as a wifi hotspot if one buys a monitor that interfaces via wifi.

If we got one that interfaces via wifi, we would not have to leave a cell phone, because we also have a Verizon tablet with a WIFI hotspot.

Ken
Old 08-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #4

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Hey Ken! Is your real name McGyver!
I have read and re read articles on monitoring devices and we settled on Canary.....their support is great,it is eaily configured and does not use your phone daya unless you want to login and get video along with your temp/humidity stats. It is wifi with a phone app, notifies your phone of any issue, easy to learn but takes practice as far as settings and it's caoabilities! You can also invite anyone you choose and they can monitor also. So far it is working flawlessly ar home and our local campsite....there is a video out there by rv bloggers and they use hotspot while boondocking and say they have great issue. It s nice too in that it configures itself to local emergency services so that if there was an issue you push the alarm button and it summons them to your address or site!
Old 08-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Here is one that I have been considering. The great thing is I can monitor everything, temperature, batteries, plus security, etc from my phone. Hopefully someone has some experience with this system. There is a subscription costs but it it works well may be worth it for only $8.99.

Remote Coast Systems | Boat Command/RV Command Monitoring and Security
Old 08-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you really like to tinker and would like to roll your own system: You can use something like this FONA Mini GSM/GPRS module and connect it to an Arduino board or something else (Raspberry Pi).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #7

Model: Vegas
State: Iowa
THOR #2078
Smile Nimble Wireless working fine now

Nimble sent us a new unit and so far on several trips out it has worked flawlessly. It does need to be plugged in and you must have a Verizon Wireless signal. However, when we were in northern Wisconsin and our Verizon phone could not make calls we still got texts so it worked okay for that too. It does the job so far.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Nimble sent us a new unit and so far on several trips out it has worked flawlessly. It does need to be plugged in and you must have a Verizon Wireless signal. However, when we were in northern Wisconsin and our Verizon phone could not make calls we still got texts so it worked okay for that too. It does the job so far.
Thanks for the update..

Ken

Tags
pets, temperature