Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2022, 09:46 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: AXIS 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #22774
On my Axxera I keep the mode on AV Rear. It shows the rear camera all the time except when activating turn signal. If this doen't work for you I expect you can disable the side cameras behind the head unit so that you only have the rear camera feed. I haven't tried this myself but I expect it will work.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:09 PM   #22

Model: VEGAS 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #14226
I could live with that if when the turn signal turns off that it automatically returns to the rear camera. THANKS
Old 11-07-2022, 11:59 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunnin View Post
My issue with the Axxera system is that when I use the direction signals to either change lanes or make a turn when the directional signal cycles the screen returns to the main screen not to the rear camera. We have to take our eyes off the road and do a two-step method to get back to the rear camera. We like having the rear camera continuously on except for the changing of lanes and making turns. I do not rely on the side cameras. I just want to return to the rear camera (REPEAT).
I found that on the Axxera website had a download you could get and upload into the radio. The _ _ _ _ upload never worked.
Federju does the XDCPA11BT HAVE THE ABILITY TO RUN THE TWO SIDE CAMERAS AND THE REAR CAMERA?
Previous post said that that price level unit would not have that ability.

Your cameras are switched external to the radio so any standard double DIN radio with backup camera input will work in your coach.

Axerra was owned by DUAL but was sold to another entity a couple of years ago. Some firmware updates were given the incorrect filename extension type and you had to manually rename it in order for the PC (and the radio) to know how to handle the file.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #24

THOR #14226
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2022, 06:14 PM   #25

Model: 2017 ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #22668
Finished exchange from Axxera to Dual

I wanted to post a follow up to my original question that started this thread. I followed the advice of federju in this thread and purchased the Dual Electronics model at WalMart. Yes, it is the same company that makes Axxera but this is made to totally different specs and feels and looks way better. The advantage of this is as federju said it is plug and play. The harness for the Axerra plugs into the Dual. My thoughts on getting the Dual was that it is so inexpensive giving it a shot for now was the easiest and cheapest and should give me years of enjoyment. If it does not work out in the long run then maybe I will upgrade to Sony or Pioneer and spend the big bucks!

For the video the harness for the video to take 3 cameras to work with one output should already be under your dash and is plug in type. You just need to be sure to plug in the proper pin type harness (not sure of terminology there) that plugs into the unit and has a video type plug that can now be plugged into the three into one harness. The hardest part for me was the laying down and being in awkward position to reach things attaching and disconnecting etc. I took multiple pics as I worked in case I forgot what went where. This was way out of my comfort zone, but was really quite easy. It sounds better than the old system and the bigger screen is awesome for my old eyes. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

RC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3660.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	40067  
Old 11-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #26

Model: KM24
THOR #10853
Dual question

I went ahead and bought the same unit and I agree it looks like it will be a decent upgrade. i havent installed it yet and am wondering does the dual have the ability to switch to rear camera when driving forward? The manual does not mention it only that it the camera will turn on when in reverse. Any idea since yours is installed?
Old 11-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #27

Model: 2017 ACE 27.2
THOR #22668
Not sure

I have not used it on the road yet but I do not see a way to do it. I liked that feature for checking tow dolly. I am happy with sound and ease of using with Apple Car Play.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:54 PM   #28

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
If the Dual doesn't support viewing rear camera while not in Reverse, it should be easy to add a switch so that you can trick it into thinking you're in reverse all the time.. might require a diode to avoid making the vehicle think you're in R also... ;-)

Looking at the manual for XDCPA10BT, the second page of 'sources' includes "AV In" so if your rear camera is feeding AV In it should be possible to watch while in motion. Probably means you lose automatically switching to the camera when in reverse.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #29

THOR #10853
Hmmmm. That might be worth keeping the Dual because it does have other features that I like.
I'll look into what it would take to cut the reverse power IN and patch in general power to a switch on the dashboard. When the rear camera is needed - hit the switch... sounds simple enough
Old 11-13-2022, 11:27 PM   #30

THOR #22774
I am so close to purchasing and installing the XDCPA11BT head unit. I have examined the manual. It seems to me that you can have 100% rearview thru the camera feed, just don't utilize the reverse light feed. Alternatively, you can wire into the AV Input as another suggested. You just have to select the appropriate mode to view the rw camera.

My intention with this purchase was to have the rw camera always up and to utilize CARPLAY for navigation on the bigger screen. However, I eventually realized I can't have both at the same time AND I don't want to have to toggle between them. I want them both visible 100% of the time while driving.

So I purchased a separate 7" HD Monitor w/Camera for $60. Once this monitor is installed I can view the RW camera 100% of the time independent of the radio. Then the new XDCPA11BT unit can be used for CARPLAY Navigation and other functions 100% of the time. This should be very simple install. I promise I will post pictures and information when I finish this project. The camera that comes with the monitor is not needed, but I couldn't find any monitors for sale sans camera. As the monitor has 2 camera feeds I could install it for another purpose but don't know what that would be at the moment. Any ideas? Without a recording function I don't think it would be helpful as a forward facing camera.

However, I have ONE question for those that have installed the XDCPA11BT. Does the CARPLAY on this unit support the newer iPhone models like the 13 and 14. The user manual only mentions supporting iPhone 6 and 7.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:56 PM   #31

THOR #10853
it's in the manual under 'Compatible Devices' iPhone 13, 13 Pro, 13 Pro max but no mention of the 14...
Old 11-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #32

THOR #14226
Can you please give the dimensions of the head unit that fits into the dash. I do not want to purchase it and find out it will not fit. I have the AVM70 currently from Thor.
THANKS
Old 11-14-2022, 02:21 PM   #33

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgunnin View Post
Can you please give the dimensions of the head unit that fits into the dash. I do not want to purchase it and find out it will not fit. I have the AVM70 currently from Thor.
THANKS
It is a double DIN size any double DIN radio should fit.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #34

THOR #14226
Thank You
Old 11-14-2022, 08:40 PM   #35

THOR #22774
I got my new unit. While the single Axxera plug is the same as the main plug on the Dual in my case the pin-out is different. I plugged in the Dual using the Axxera cable but it did not come on. Did you have to reconfigure the pin-out on the plug to the RV or was it simply plug and play for you? I have a 2015 Axis.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #36

THOR #22774
Replacing Axxera AV614BH with Dual XDCPA11BT UPDATE

I followed the lead of others in this forum and purchased the Dual XDCPA11BT from Walmart online for $210 to replace the Axxera AV614BH in my 2015 Thor Axis. Main purpose of the replacement for me was to get 'Carplay' onboard, but I also wanted to see my rearview camera 100% of the time while driving. So, in addition to the new head unit I purchased a 'Rear view Monitor System kit' off Amazon for $60. I purchased a Yakry but there are many options. As these Rear View kits now use a 4-pin connector instead of the old RCA video feed, I also purchased a RCA to 4-pin adapter off Amazon. This allows you to connect the monitor directly to the camera feed already existing in the RV giving view of cameras 100% of the time independant of the head unit. In my RV there are 3 cameras; 2 side and 1 rear. They are already connected together via a video switch somewhere in the dash so there is just one video feed to the head unit. The switch is controlled by the turn signal.

So when I pulled the old Axxera I had the following cables to disconnect:
1. 1 Yellow RCA video feed from my 3 cameras
2. 1 Radio antennae
3. 1 Wiring harness which connects to RV via a 12-pin Molex connector
4. 'Brake' and 'Rev' wires individually connected to head unit. (Note: these will not be used in my new install.)
5. HDMI and USB connectors (which are attached to dash-mounted ports on my RV). The HDMI port will not be used with the DUAL but the USB port will be the 'Carplay' access port.

To remove the Axxera unit from the 2-DIN enclosure:
1. Remove the plastic frame around the radio.
2. Slide a 3" inch putty knife down left side of the unit while pulling on the radio to release the catch. Then do the same on the right. Make sure the left side doesn't re-catch while doing this. It may take a bit of back and forth to get the unit out. There are youtube videos showing this process.
3. Disconnect the wires from the radio.

You can do everyting you need from here, but you can see everything more clearly by pulling back the whole front panel. This panel is held on by 4 nuts threaded to bolts mounted to the panel. 2 bolts at the top of the panel point down vertically and 2 bolts at bottom of the panel point backwards horizontally. You can access these nuts by reaching behind the panel or thru the 2-Din enclosure. Reassembly hint. If you have nuts on your unit replace them with lockwashers & wingnuts when putting it all back together.

First Step is to install the rearview monitor (independant of the radio). As you can see in the pictures I mounted the monitor in the small items tray on top of the dash. There are a couple of screws holding this tray. I removed the tray to more easily install the monitor. I drilled holes for the monitor mount and cut a 1/4" thick piece of wood to reinforce the underside of the tray. I installed the mount with wood screws and a couple of shims under the mount to bring the mount close to level. Drilled a hole to run the monitor cable through the tray then reinstalled the tray. Attached the RCA video cable from the RV to the monitor using the RCA-to-4pin adapter cable. Only thing left is to connect power to the monitor. You can do this through an on/off switch spliced to one of the cig light feeds or find a power line that is triggered by the ignition. I chose the later so my monitor lights up whenever the RV is running.

Step Two is to reinstall the dash panel. You need to make sure you have clear access to the antennae feed, the molex connector and the USB connector for Carplay thru the 2-Din mount. Also, it a good time to run the microphone cable from here to whereever you want it to go. The mic is easy to forget so don't!

Step Three is to build your main harness (adapter cable) which connects the XDCPA11BT to the 12-pin Molex connector. The DUAL has the same connector as the Axxera but unfortunately the pin-out is not identical, at least it wasn't for me. All the speaker outputs were in the same place but the power(s) and ground were not. You can use the old adapter cable if you have a Molex pin removal tool. With the tool you can remove the few misplaced pins from the connector and reinstall them in proper locations (this is most elegant solution, but you need the tool. It costs around $10 on Amazon.) As I lacked this tool and didn't want to wait a day, I cut the old adapter in half and spliced the Molex connector to the new pigtail correcting the pinout in the process.

Note: There are 3 other pigtails that come with the new head unit which I am not using. These are for fancy sound output, camera, and steering wheel controls.

Step Four is to attach everything to the new head unit; main harness, microphone, antennae, USB for Carplay AND test. Everything working? then slide the unit into the 2-DIN mount until it clicks, install the frame, then mount the large screen. There are many different position for the screen so choose the one that suits you. HINT: if you put the frame behind the screen before you install the screen (when testing) you won't have to remove the screen to install the frame later.

That's about it. I have rear view monitor 100% of the time and 'Carplay' plus all the other features of this updated head unit. I am excited for my next trip. I have uploaded a few pictures. The black cable seen in the completed install is the microphone cable. I haven't decided exactly where I want to place the mic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Back of Panel Upsidedown.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	40185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash with Panel Removed.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	40186  

Name:	Drivers View.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	40187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Install Complete.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	40188  

Name:	New Pigtail spliced to Molex.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	40189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel Reinstalled.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	40190  

Name:	Rear of XDCPA11BT.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	40191  
Old 11-19-2022, 03:23 PM   #37
Site Team

THOR #7035
Great write-up!

I just have one question, not necessarily directed to you, but:

Why do you need a "Brake" wire going to the radio?

Anybody?

Old 11-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #38

THOR #22774
It's Actually 'Parking Brake"

This 'Parking Brake' feeds a logic in the unit that limits video functionality. Presumably when parking brake is set there is additional video functionality, although I don't know what that could be. Maybe more functionality in 'Carplay' too. I guess I should have connected this. It's not described very well in the manual.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #39
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big R View Post
This 'Parking Brake' feeds a logic in the unit that limits video functionality. Presumably when parking brake is set there is additional video functionality, although I don't know what that could be. Maybe more functionality in 'Carplay' too. I guess I should have connected this. It's not described very well in the manual.
Well, that kinda makes sense: except nobody uses a parking brake. I would have thought "in motion" lockout would have been triggered by GPS speed.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:03 PM   #40

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well, that kinda makes sense: except nobody uses a parking brake. I would have thought "in motion" lockout would have been triggered by GPS speed.
In all the auto's I have had, certain functions were locked out unless the vehicle is in "PARK". I suspect using the parking brake signal is simpler to wire than taping into the shifter wireing.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axerra avm70