Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #30029
Anybody just ditch the steps?

I'm camping in my 2015 Thor Ace 30.1 in Hershey Campground in pa. On arrival my steps made the classis grind noise, and now do it on every extend and retract. Going to need to deal with it in a few minutes. I am thinking it will probably retract one more time to let me get on the road home.i am certain I can fix it, read all the posts and saw the videos. But..

I don't like the idea of the steps not being in my control wether to extend or not when I want. I am thinking of removing the whole thing and using a nice low tech step stool. Anyone else do this?

Old 08-14-2023, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That would get so old very fast. Especially since a $40 motor and 3 bolts is your fix and worst case is remove a cotter pin and slide pin to manually retract.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgePal View Post
I'm camping in my 2015 Thor Ace 30.1 in Hershey Campground in pa. On arrival my steps made the classis grind noise, and now do it on every extend and retract. Going to need to deal with it in a few minutes. I am thinking it will probably retract one more time to let me get on the road home.i am certain I can fix it, read all the posts and saw the videos. But..

I don't like the idea of the steps not being in my control wether to extend or not when I want. I am thinking of removing the whole thing and using a nice low tech step stool. Anyone else do this?
If we are going to be in one place for a while, I use a folding platform and leave the step in. I bought it when my DW was recovering from broken hip surgery. The large 24" x 14" platform is much more stable than the retractable step. If we are traveling every day we use the step.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If we are going to be in one place for a while, I use a folding platform and leave the step in. I bought it when my DW was recovering from broken hip surgery. The large 24" x 14" platform is much more stable than the retractable step. If we are traveling every day we use the step.
How do you "leave the step in"? The step switch only leaves it out regardless of door position when the RV engine is off.
Old 08-14-2023, 03:46 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
How do you "leave the step in"? The step switch only leaves it out regardless of door position when the RV engine is off.
I have a fourth switch with a red light in the bottom entry panel that removes all power from the step (use/store, patio awning in/extend, step normal/out, step power on/off). Same system as used by C of C in their Latitude patio awning control (where I got the idea).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:01 AM   #6

Model: RB34
State: New Mexico
THOR #21936
I ripped mine off the first time I drove into the driveway. First I hit the generator exhaust, then high centered on the steps, flattening them to oblivion. 4 bolts later, and the rig has 40lbs more carry capacity and two less retracting steps.

I use one of these if we're stopped for any appreciable amount of time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPYS0NC - we've lived in our RV for a few months and camped many weeks after and it looks great a couple of years in.
Old 08-24-2023, 03:28 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I thought to OP was tongue and cheek about ditching the steps? Surely you guys are not serious about not using your steps? What is the big deal with fixing it

Wow, I will add to my RV Ripley's Believer or Not

1. Some folks remove their Generators (say they don't need)
2. Some folks remove their AC units (say they don't need)
3. And Now ( drum roll) some folks remove their Auto Retracting Steps (say they don't need)

Would anybody buy any new RV without all the above?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 03:32 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I can do the same thing by turning the Auto Retract switch OFF, my steps stay out permanently unless you start up the engine and close the door, then they will retract. Open door agin with engine running they will extend.

If Auto Retract switch is ON, the Extend/Retract every time the door opens / closes
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #9

THOR #30029
The problem for me is if you have an issue with the door sensor, you can conceivably be driving down the road with your steps down. People have posted exactly that happening. A person in our household has a problem waiting for the steps to extend before going out the door, they can't seem to remember, so it's going to be an issue. I did fix them this time, but next malfunction, off they go and I will use either manual hinges steps or a portable step.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I have repaired my steps twice in 6 yrs, first time was because not waiting on steps to fully extend before going out the door, stripped the gears in the motor , and broke the gear plate bolt, required me to completely remove steps to fix the bolt because some genius welded the bolt the the nut, 2nd time was the controller got smoked because the step switch shorted out and blew both fuses
Old 08-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
The problem for me is if you have an issue with the door sensor, you can conceivably be driving down the road with your steps down. People have posted exactly that happening. A person in our household has a problem waiting for the steps to extend before going out the door, they can't seem to remember, so it's going to be an issue. I did fix them this time, but next malfunction, off they go and I will use either manual hinges steps or a portable step.
If you have an issue with compartment door latch (not closed fully), you can conceivably be driving down the roads with you compartment door wide open. That happens all the time. If that happens; do you say next malfunction off goes the compartment door or maybe even even a manual padlock so you can see it is closed? If you walk away from a gas pump while dispensing gas and if there is an issue with the vapor sensor to shut it off; it will overflow and continue to leak gas on side of vehicle and the ground. You get the idea.

4 years for me with no extended warranty purchased, and I can truthfully say the Kwikee steps is only repair I have had that if I had ESP Plan that they may have covered one of the two issues.

1st Issue while under Mfg warranty, the steps would randomly retract. Not stay out when AutoRetract was off. Dealer could not find or replicate issue and charged me $100 to checkout. 3 months later I found the issue on my own due to a faulty pin in a 9 pin connector that was barely connected. So it was actually a WBGO wiring issue nothing to do with Kwikee Steps. Although I fixed myself the Dealer would not give me my $100 back. ESP would not have covered this because it was technically a Mfg defect (Note: a RV Mfg Defect that is NOT TMC) I ain't mad at my RV MFG, just the Dealer.

2nd issue was actually a few months ago, the steps would not Extend. Seems like from what I read, 90% of time posters start blaming sensors or ways to fault the door sensor, but I never understood. When my door or screen door opens, light underneath comes on, and off when closed. I don't know how much a deductible for a ESP would have been, but I bought a $25 motor and paid a mobile tech to install; so I was out about $150 total. The Tech would come by later to replace the new motor with another new motor because the 1st one was erratic. No charge for 2nd visit. I then bought a spare new motor for $25 that I keep in the RV.

The only other thing that could wrong is the Controller, I can replace that myself plug and play. I fail to understand why not repair when / if a failure occurs? i.e. Are you saying that if you have the same failure twice you will not repair the 2nd time? Progressive is replacing my 2nd windshield in 4 years, both were little nicks that with the Texas heat started to expand and the crack grew. Fortunately for me I have a $0 deductible and I always will because Life Happens.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:06 PM   #12

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
With the Kwikee step, with pos (+) on the Ign. wire the steps retract, you may have a bad controller or the wire has been disconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
I have repaired my steps twice in 6 yrs, first time was because not waiting on steps to fully extend before going out the door, stripped the gears in the motor , and broke the gear plate bolt, required me to completely remove steps to fix the bolt because some genius welded the bolt the the nut, 2nd time was the controller got smoked because the step switch shorted out and blew both fuses
The Kwikee step door switch applies a GRD. to the controller to 'extend' the steps... in no way or form can this switch "short" as you imply.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:02 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
IN my case the switch was bad. The step would retract (maybe) when I closed the door and then when it did retract it would often retract and then extend 2 or 3 times before it would finally decide to stay retracted. With the ignition on the steps would retract and stay retracted. So there was no worries about the step extending while underway. I finally tracked down the problems. Yes, there were two issues. First the magnet on the screen door was mounted too far from the sensor switch. I believe this caused the contacts in the sensor to arch and degrade to the point where the sensor only made intermittent contact. Once I moved the magnet closer to the switch and replaced the switch the problem with the step retracting was resolved.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:50 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
With the Kwikee step, with pos (+) on the Ign. wire the steps retract, you may have a bad controller or the wire has been disconnected.

The Kwikee step door switch applies a GRD. to the controller to 'extend' the steps... in no way or form can this switch "short" as you imply.
The system is really quite simple once you fully understand it. And Kwikie is one of those rare companies today that will not only answer the phone, but help you troubleshoot. With a voltmeter they can tell you quickly if it is issue with their components or problem with the coach. My 1st problem was a random voltage drop on the wire that feeds the Auto Retract ON/OFF switch. To stay Extended ( Auto Retract off) the RV must supply 12vdc. If that voltage drops the Controller will see and retract the steps. It is actually a good design by Kwikee to keep the steps in if loss of power so steps are NOT stuck out. My voltage was fluctuating based on movement and vibration of the coach impacting one lose pin inside a 9 pin connector on wiring harness behind my breaker panel.
Old 08-24-2023, 03:12 PM   #15

THOR #30029
Wow, lots of good info here! And yes, I do not have a problem getting rid of automation I don't need. I don't know why, but the step bugs me. I was really just wondering if anyone else got tired of them and removed them. If I take it off and that annoys me more than having it on, I will just put it back. What really got me was when it malfunctioned getting out of the coach on arrival at the campground, and worrying about it being stuck down when I want to leave. The repair was easy, but just got me thinking if I really want this over a much more manual option.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:24 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Wow, lots of good info here! And yes, I do not have a problem getting rid of automation I don't need. I don't know why, but the step bugs me. I was really just wondering if anyone else got tired of them and removed them. If I take it off and that annoys me more than having it on, I will just put it back. What really got me was when it malfunctioned getting out of the coach on arrival at the campground, and worrying about it being stuck down when I want to leave. The repair was easy, but just got me thinking if I really want this over a much more manual option.
Fair enough. You don't have to explain why, it is your coach and if it bugs you you will never know until you take action. Thanks for chiming back in and I hope you come back with your results after using with no automated steps for awhile.

My brain is kind of bias right now because a few months ago I had just the opposite concern you have now. My motor was out and my steps would NOT extend, so I went a week a week or two with no automated steps and bugged me to know end. We did have a step stool but it was pain to use just for that short period of time.

This reminds me when we bought our 1st Expedition & 1st Navigator and it had the auto power running boards, seems like we read lots of reviews with concern how they may fail and be expensive to repair. After 1 Expedition and 2 Navigators never an issue, but yet a lot of people will commonly disable them, it is their prerogative
Old 08-24-2023, 07:13 PM   #17

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Yeah, did not mean to hijack your thread, just pointing out simple errors on a simple and effective system.
As mentioned, disconnect the mechanism and once cleaned up to run smooth, use the steps manually or even find an old manual set before Kwikee came out with these.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:23 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Yeah, did not mean to hijack your thread, just pointing out simple errors on a simple and effective system.
As mentioned, disconnect the mechanism and once cleaned up to run smooth, use the steps manually or even find an old manual set before Kwikee came out with these.
Most Travel Trailer Steps are manual:

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...00T36FS6I?th=1
Old 08-24-2023, 08:12 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Most Travel Trailer Steps are manual:

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...00T36FS6I?th=1
That Step looks too tall. I think it would hang down further than the Automatic step when closed. In addition, the rise from the step into the coach looks as though it will be even more than the original step provides. On my ACE 30.0 the distance from the step to the door sill is nearly 11" on my power step where the other steps inside the coach are closer to 7' - 8". This manual step looks like that rise will be even more than it is with the power step. I do not know how old the OP is or whether he or his Copilot have any impairments but even for healthy able bodied that huge deference is an accident waiting to happen. The there is the issue of getting into and out of the coach with the step folded. Again, a healthy able-bodied individual can manage but honestly that will get old sooner than you might think. I have stepped out of a coach with the step not extended after forgetting that the step was not extended. needless to say, it is a very unpleasant surprise. I managed not to fall of get injured, but I was much younger then. I doubt I could have the same thing happen today without sustaining some sort of injury.

For my money I would do whatever it takes to keep the power step in good working order. Why risk the potential of thousands of dollars in medical bills over saving a few dollars or even as much as the cost of a complete replacement step. To bluntly honest, if you can't afford to maintain it then perhaps you should not own it.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:35 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
That Step looks too tall. I think it would hang down further than the Automatic step when closed. In addition, the rise from the step into the coach looks as though it will be even more than the original step provides. On my ACE 30.0 the distance from the step to the door sill is nearly 11" on my power step where the other steps inside the coach are closer to 7' - 8". This manual step looks like that rise will be even more than it is with the power step. I do not know how old the OP is or whether he or his Copilot have any impairments but even for healthy able bodied that huge deference is an accident waiting to happen. The there is the issue of getting into and out of the coach with the step folded. Again, a healthy able-bodied individual can manage but honestly that will get old sooner than you might think. I have stepped out of a coach with the step not extended after forgetting that the step was not extended. needless to say, it is a very unpleasant surprise. I managed not to fall of get injured, but I was much younger then. I doubt I could have the same thing happen today without sustaining some sort of injury.

For my money I would do whatever it takes to keep the power step in good working order. Why risk the potential of thousands of dollars in medical bills over saving a few dollars or even as much as the cost of a complete replacement step. To bluntly honest, if you can't afford to maintain it then perhaps you should not own it.
It was an example, not THE SOLUTION. That one may work on some RV, other examples may work on other RVs.

Tags
steps stool