Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #22668
Switching out Axxera AVM70

I have a Thor ACE 27.2 2017

I am going to switch out my Axerra Radio and use it as a paper weight or for target practice. I am still researching the Pioneer, Jensen and Sony options. Suggestions welcome. It has rear and side cameras and I want Apple Car Play.

My question is, how hard it is to install myself? I am handy, but far from a mechanic. I was a firefighter and learned a lot working on fire engines, but again, not a technician. It looks like some of it is plug and play and that other than fitting the new radio system into the slot, it is red wire to red wire kind of stuff. For those of you who have already done this am I right? I would love to save a little on installation since we are also looking at getting some new tires soon.

RC

Old 10-28-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Mechanical installation should be plug-n-play.

Electrical installation; not so much.

You will need to be able to read wiring diagrams/schematics and splice wires. The old plug and new plug will likely be different as well as wire colors.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 09:28 PM   #3

Model: 2017 ACE 27.2
THOR #22668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Mechanical installation should be plug-n-play.

Electrical installation; not so much.

You will need to be able to read wiring diagrams/schematics and splice wires. The old plug and new plug will likely be different as well as wire colors.
That's good info. I have a neighbor who is fantastic with technical and mechanical stuff, but I hate to lean on him too much. He is very generous, but he is putting together a 68 Chevelle and quite busy on his free days.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:36 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane
State: Arizona
THOR #27574
We swapped out the Axxera in our Hurricane 29M with a Dual Electronics XDCPA11BT (made by Jensen) took about 30 minutes - pretty much plug and play. All cameras function perfectly and the screen is so much easier to see. Should have done this when we first got the coach.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:12 AM   #5

Model: AXIS 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #22774
Dual Electronics XDCPA11BT

Hello Federju. I have been looking for something to replace my OEM radio, Seems you might have found it in the Dual Electronics XDCPA11BT. Could you post a picture of this unit installed? You say it works properly with rearview and sideview cameras? The screen is larger than the OEM so I'm wondering what the installation looks like.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #6

THOR #27574

Big R , yes all the cameras work great. The install was a breeze - hopefully you have the radio removal tool, if not you can pick them up on Amazon for under $10. And, yes there is quiet a difference in the screen size. BTW, I picked this radio up via Walmart online ordering for $210. It was $280 in store, but in order to get the online price, I had to order it and pick it up a couple hours later, worth it to save $70.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	268
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	39988   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	39989  

Old 11-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #7

THOR #22774
To Federju: last question

Did you require any special adapters to mate all the wires?
I found the same deal at Walmart online. Thanks, it's $300 on Amazon.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:02 PM   #8

THOR #27574

Pretty much plug and play, the plugs for the Axxtera are all in one big plug, the new one has a few smaller plugs that fit into the big plug on the new radio. Also put the Apple Car Play USB connection where the other USB was - you can see it in one of the photo's.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #9

State: Illinois
THOR #1721
Don't you need a switch for the cameras?
Old 11-05-2022, 10:49 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #21258
Axxera AVM70 Swap

Swamped the Axxera AVM70 in our Hurricane 44f for a Boss BE950WCPA. The Boss has both Apple and Android wireless carplay which I really like. Install was straight forward. The Axxera has a wiring diagram with color code on the back of the unit. I used this to wire the new unit using the old connector I spliced into the new unit soldering and shrink wrapping connections per the diagram. Everything works perfectly. I did not use the camera input as I have a dedicated quad view screen for camers on the dash which I find is much better than having to look down at the receiver screen. I am pleased with the audio and carplay interface of the Boss. Bought it on sale from Crutchfield.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:58 AM   #11
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
Swamped the Axxera AVM70 in our Hurricane 44f for a Boss BE950WCPA. The Boss has both Apple and Android wireless carplay which I really like. Install was straight forward. The Axxera has a wiring diagram with color code on the back of the unit. I used this to wire the new unit using the old connector I spliced into the new unit soldering and shrink wrapping connections per the diagram. Everything works perfectly. I did not use the camera input as I have a dedicated quad view screen for camers on the dash which I find is much better than having to look down at the receiver screen. I am pleased with the audio and carplay interface of the Boss. Bought it on sale from Crutchfield.
Wow! I am surprised that Crutchfield did not have an adapter cable. They always have had every time I bought a radio from them. Always had great support and instructions.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:31 PM   #12

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
What is the size of the screen. I have a 2018 Vegas 27.7. We do not like the unit that came in the MH. We have never been able to get the download to upload to make the side cameras to auto back to the rear camera when using directional signals.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:50 PM   #13

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big R View Post
To Federju: last question

Did you require any special adapters to mate all the wires?
I found the same deal at Walmart online. Thanks, it's $300 on Amazon.
Hello, that system may or may not be plug and play if you want the cameras to work. Any aftermarket radio sans Jensen with 3 camera hook up will need an adapter to make your side cameras and back up camera work if so equipped. The ASA Electronics Voyager model PCB713wp is no longer available but there are a handfull of these units left on E-bay. In my opinion don't waste your time with the Walmart version of the double din, sound quality is poor and it has little to know adjustments for volume control. Spend the extra money and buy a Pioneer or Kenwood for about $2-300.00 dollars and you will be all set. Now if you don't care what it sounds like and just want something to fill the hole then by all means just go with the Walmart brand. I bought the Avh241EX on Ebay with new speakers all adapters and installation kit for under $600.00 dollars. Good luck
Old 11-06-2022, 07:32 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hello, that system is not plug and play if you want the cameras to work. Any aftermarket radio replacing an existing radio will need an adapter to make your side cameras and back up camera work if so equipped.
There are no radios in this price range with more than one camera input and there are no radios available for any price with more than two camera inputs. Rvs with side cameras have a camera switching unit that routes the appropriate cameral input to the radio. My 2018 ACE 30.3 has a Rear view multiplexer model # RVS-R01N. Here is a link that describes the switching unit YOU IN ALL LIKLYHOOD ALREADY HAVE THIS OR A SIMULAR UNIT ALREADY INSTALLED AND WILL NOT NEED TO BUY THIS.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../RVS-501N.html

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:41 AM   #15

THOR #27574
Screen is 10.1”.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Personally, I don’t even use the side cameras. Don’t know why I’d want to take my eyes off what I’m doing to look down at some grainy picture. I learned to use mirrors long ago. I do occasionally use the rear. When I put the hazards on, the rear view allows me to view my trailer. As for Axxera sound quality, it sucks. But my wife complains if it’s too loud anyway so I use Bluetooth headphones. I use a garmin 770 rv gps. The screen is on top of the dash and closer to me. Much easier to view. When the Axxera fries, I’ll replace it with wood panel.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:26 PM   #17

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Personally, I don’t even use the side cameras. Don’t know why I’d want to take my eyes off what I’m doing to look down at some grainy picture. I learned to use mirrors long ago. I do occasionally use the rear. When I put the hazards on, the rear view allows me to view my trailer. As for Axxera sound quality, it sucks. But my wife complains if it’s too loud anyway so I use Bluetooth headphones. I use a garmin 770 rv gps. The screen is on top of the dash and closer to me. Much easier to view. When the Axxera fries, I’ll replace it with wood panel.
I am with you on that. In the Aria we have a separate screen for camera and the rear is always on until the turn signal. I use the rear to see I have cleared the vehicle I am passing, then switch to mirrors.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #18

Model: KM24
THOR #10853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federju View Post
We swapped out the Axxera in our Hurricane 29M with a Dual Electronics XDCPA11BT (made by Jensen) took about 30 minutes - pretty much plug and play. All cameras function perfectly and the screen is so much easier to see. Should have done this when we first got the coach.
Does the Dual have the ability to switch on the rear camera while driving? Thats the only feature I like about the Axxera and would hate to lose it.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:48 PM   #19

THOR #22774
Does the Dual Electronics have the ability to access the rear camera while driving? thats the only feature i like about the Axxera and would hate to lose it
Old 11-07-2022, 09:26 PM   #20

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
My issue with the Axxera system is that when I use the direction signals to either change lanes or make a turn when the directional signal cycles the screen returns to the main screen not to the rear camera. We have to take our eyes off the road and do a two-step method to get back to the rear camera. We like having the rear camera continuously on except for the changing of lanes and making turns. I do not rely on the side cameras. I just want to return to the rear camera (REPEAT).
I found that on the Axxera website had a download you could get and upload into the radio. The _ _ _ _ upload never worked.
Federju does the XDCPA11BT HAVE THE ABILITY TO RUN THE TWO SIDE CAMERAS AND THE REAR CAMERA?
Previous post said that that price level unit would not have that ability.

Tags
axerra avm70