Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #1291
swivel seat 2014 Freedom Elite class C

I was thinking about converting the passenger seat in our 2014 THOR Freedom Elite 23C into a swivel seat.. I found swivel plates for $199 + shipping but looking at the seat and distance to door I am wondering if there is enough room to turn the seat ...

did anyone used such a swivel plate and has some input for me ?

Thanks

Old 03-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
This is something I have been thinking about. Unfortunately, you are going to have clearance issues from the bulkhead immediately behind the seats (of course you could cut it out).

The only Class C that I am aware of that have swivel seats are the Coachmen and some Forest River models. If you look at their bulkheads, they are far smaller than typical.

Perhaps though, you can get them to work. I would not mind if I had to move the seat position and seat-back forward/backwards as you rotate it. Not as convenient I suppose as simply swiveling the seat, but the slight difficulty in rotating the seat (if it can be done) would be outweighed by the convenience.

Even if the passenger seat were the only one to swivel...

Atwood makes the swivel mechanism for Coachme/Forest River. I have been in contact with them, and obtained a drawing so I could see if they would be worthwhile trying. But they were far more than $200, so I kind of dropped the idea.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I thought about them on my prior class C (a 2014 Forest River) but after seeing a newer coach (same floor plan 2015) having them factory installed I decided against the upgrade.

As FW mentions you have the bulkhead issue and in my class C there was a slide immediately behind the driver so the seat position would have had to be moved forward for any level of recline when driving down the road. Then I looked up and saw the overhead bunk and asked, what purpose would a swivel seat up front serve while parked? For me the answer was additional headaches from hitting my head getting in and out of the seats. In my case it would have been 200.00 for the seat mounts and 500.00 for the Tylenol.

In my opinion, in a Class C swivel seats, are an unnecessary expense. Put the money in an upgrade the co-pilot will enjoy.

Heck, in my new Class A there are issues with the swivel seats due to the distance between the steering wheel and drivers seat which minimizes rotation and the attachment of the seat belts on both seats which also minimizes rotation. I classify the functional rotation as being around 90 degrees for both seats. It may be a little more but it is nowhere 180 degrees. At least in this one I don't need the Tylenol.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #1291
Thanks for the info guys....safe travels to all