Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2022, 02:55 AM   #341

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So T Mobile finally got tired of turning customers away. Maybe they need money to pay out the class action lawsuit

So now you can order T Mobile Home as long as you want in areas not available but you have to get the Lite plan, it caps off at 100GB.

It is still $50/month, but if you were truly planning to buy to have in your RV when traveling, you can do so legally now with your home address. Just be prepared to step down in speed if you go over 100GB.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/t...a-limit-catch/
I could have sworn that it was supposed to be Unlimited Data when I signed up. Wonder if they’ll grandfather us in???

Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:09 AM   #342

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I could have sworn that it was supposed to be Unlimited Data when I signed up. Wonder if they’ll grandfather us in???
My understanding is ...

It is unlimited, meaning T Mobile Home Internet. The article I posted had nothing to do with any of us who already have the T Mobile Home Internet service.

Think of it like T Mobile is offering a new service called T Mobile Home Internet Lite. Both cost $50.

The intent of T Mobile Home Internet Lite is for customers that want the service but it is not offered in their area or address. So T mobile versus saying no, get on the wait list, those customers could buy the T Mobile Home Internet Lite plan, but since they are in a known area with limited capacity, those customer's speed will drop at 100gb/month.

That is my understanding and clearly not official.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:37 AM   #343

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Someone just recommended I try this for home security while traveling with t mobile home;

Get a 15$/mo mint mobile Sim into a device with tethering. Connect your wireless devices to the Mint Sim WiFi that has been created. I have the same t-mobile home internet plan and travel with it and this is how I do. (edited)
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:24 AM   #344

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Someone just recommended I try this for home security while traveling with t mobile home;

Get a 15$/mo mint mobile Sim into a device with tethering. Connect your wireless devices to the Mint Sim WiFi that has been created. I have the same t-mobile home internet plan and travel with it and this is how I do. (edited)
And then I take the RV for a weekend to tailgate at football game with friends and the DW stays at home trying to get the TVs all to work off that tethering device. Driving my RV without my T Mobile Home Internet is NOW a nonstarter. I even use it at the RV at home. I NEVER have to reconnect any of my TVs or Roku boxes in the RV.

I only pay $49/mo for Spectrum at home for fiber. The $35 potential gain is not worth the hassle.

For me, the answer is T - Mobile allows you have both with two boxes on same Home Internet account. Say I pay $75/mo and I get two black boxes with their own individual SIM, that way one is always in House and the other is always in RV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #345

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
And then I take the RV for a weekend to tailgate at football game with friends and the DW stays at home trying to get the TVs all to work off that tethering device. Driving my RV without my T Mobile Home Internet is NOW a nonstarter. I even use it at the RV at home. I NEVER have to reconnect any of my TVs or Roku boxes in the RV.

I only pay $49/mo for Spectrum at home for fiber. The $35 potential gain is not worth the hassle.

For me, the answer is T - Mobile allows you have both with two boxes on same Home Internet account. Say I pay $75/mo and I get two black boxes with their own individual SIM, that way one is always in House and the other is always in RV.
Good idea let me see what deal I can get with 2 t mobiles
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 10-16-2022, 10:01 PM   #346

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
For T-moble cellphone customers why not just use your phone as a hot spot? Yes, I understand the Internet hot spot will allow no connected devices. But really, how many of us need to connect more than 2 or 3 devices?
Old 10-16-2022, 10:42 PM   #347

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
For T-moble cellphone customers why not just use your phone as a hot spot? Yes, I understand the Internet hot spot will allow no connected devices. But really, how many of us need to connect more than 2 or 3 devices?
Hotspot limited on gigs & battery use is massive
Old 10-16-2022, 10:44 PM   #348

THOR #20220
Quote:
Good idea let me see what deal I can get with 2 t mobiles
I was able to get xfinity cable for under $15 month
So using that at home for all devices and t mobile for the road . Xfinity claims to have thousands of free hotspits around the country.
I will test at some point
Old 10-16-2022, 11:07 PM   #349

THOR #13058
Quote:
For T-moble cellphone customers why not just use your phone as a hot spot? I did and I still do when necessary.

Yes, I understand the Internet hot spot will allow no connected devices. But really, how many of us need to connect more than 2 or 3 devices?
I have NEVER seen a limit of devices come into play whenever I needed a T Mobile Hotspot? Usually it was just for quick laptop connection or to stream a movie or game.

If you are comparing a T Mobile Hotspot with T Mobile Home Internet, you are missing the point or don't need to get into the T Mobile Home Internet / Starlink game just yet?

It is like questioning why one would need a furnace in a 3,000sf home when they have a fireplace and portable heater. Yes you might be able to get by, but for $50/month it makes my entire RV experience pleasurable.

You didn't ask, and I am sure it is somewhere buried in this thread, but the question really is why would one prefer to have technology like Starlink or T Mobile Home Internet in their RV? The simple answer is CONVENIENCE. i.e. whenever I go to my RV, and no matter where I travel, I have my own network on 300ft perimeter of my RV, including at home. No setup required. All 3 TVs are always hot with YouTube TV and there is no data limits. no speed issue or bandwidth problems. I even have WiFi6 network to crow about. I love it so much, I don't view as $50/mo but as $600/year. I say that because yes there may be a month or two that I don't need it, but I want to have it whenever I may need it (guest may unexpectedly show up). We RV year around.

I say Starlink because some owners pay $120/month and they claim to find areas where they say T Mobile is not available. I have not had that problem yet and if I did; I am not ready to pay $120/mo for it It just make T Mobile Home Internet the greater value IMO
Old 10-16-2022, 11:15 PM   #350

THOR #13058
Quote:
Hotspot limited on gigs & battery use is massive
I had Camp WifI Pro v2 and a Netgear Extender, I got tired of being an IT Technician not just on every trip, but everytime I moved the RV to a different location I complain every time I buy gas for RV, but I smile evey time I pay $50 for T Mobile Home Internet, it is now my 2nd favorite Toy next to my EC-30 AGS

Quote:
I was able to get xfinity cable for under $15 month
So using that at home for all devices and t mobile for the road . Xfinity claims to have thousands of free hotspots around the country.
I will test at some point
My son has Xfinity in Colorado and my daughter has Xfinity in Houston, but they don't have T Mobile Home Internet. When I visit them, I just bring my Black box inside with me. No SSIDs to lookup or passwords to setup. I am always on my own network.

FWIW, I am still paying $49.99 for Spectrum at home, but that is half what it was a year ago. When it is up for renewal they may have lower rate?
Old 10-17-2022, 12:06 AM   #351

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:

My coach has 3 Smart TV’s, 2 Cameras, 2 Laptops, 2 Tablets plus the F-550 system and my RV GPS will do updates via WiFI.

The TMobile Gateway has a better antenna array so coverage and the throughput is far better.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #352

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
T-Mobile Internet

UNREAL T Mobile Home Internet $25. a Month
Just returned from Costco where I walked out with the T Mobile Home internet that I have been waiting for for 6 months as my address does not qualify. https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet

Thanks to the T Mobile booth at Costco, I am in and on the $25. a month lifetime Christmas special. What a deal. He told me they go through the main office for people outside of the area. It paid to stop at Costco booth when my local store could not get me connected.

Another perk for being a T Mobile Customer. I have 14 days to try it and return it if it does not work at my location. Perfect timing for me as I am still fighting damaged DSL copper lines line from the Hurricane. I switched to T Mobile a year ago and I couldn't be happier over what I had with Verizon.

Noticed this thread going around on another forum

Surprised you loyal T-Mobile folks didn't mention it

Seems like a pretty good deal, and it may be over today
Old 12-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #353

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
That is a great deal!!!

I have been happy with my T-Mobile Home since I got it in May. Have used it in the motorhome as well as in hotel rooms.

I did not hear about the Costco Promo for Xmas. But I did get a promo for the $25/month for T-Mobil Home if I have two T-Mobile mobile lines for their $30/mo Unlimited.

Right now I don't want to switch cell lines because I like having two different carrier options for traveling.... but I need to rethink that strategy now that I have Starlink for RV as well as T-Mobile Home.

I have my wife on Xfinity (Verizon) for $15/mo and I am on AT&T for $75. Between T-Mobile Home and Starlink we never were without Internet or WiFi calling traveling in the coach this year. We will be on a 3-month trip to Alaska next year and now Starlink is covering all of western Canada and Alaska so cell and Internet coverage will be a non-issue.

You can't beat Xfinity for mobile service. If you don't use much data like my wife, it is only $15/mo for 1GB. They will let you switch back and forth each month based on your usage so you always can get the best price based on usage since they charge in arrears and not upfront like every other cell service.

It's $30/mo for 3GB and then $45 for Unlimited. If she uses more than 1GB, I just change her to 3GB. If she uses more than that, I switch her to Unlimited. The the next billing cycle I switch her back to $15/mo.

I'll have to decide if it is worth keeping T-Mobile Home once we are done with our big RV trips and then I might move both of us to T-Mobile. Otherwise I will just switch my service to Xfinity if we don't keep T-Mobile Home.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #354

THOR #13058
Thanks and guess what I will be doing for Christmas

I have 5 T-Mobile phones and the T Mobile Home Internet for $50/month and incredibly EXTREMELY satisfied. I have NEVER had issue with service. I suspect I will eventually but by now they have 2 or 3 mulligans in the bag to pull out if I happen to drive my RV on top of some mountain and find myself with no service

Update:
So T Mobile says the promotion is for new customers since November

They offered me two other options I rejected both as they impacted my existing phone plans. So I have cancelled my T Mobile Home Internet effective 12/31/22

If I ever get chance to add again for $25, I will; but for now, I will just go back to streaming data from phones.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:28 PM   #355

THOR #13058
T Mobile Homeless Internet for Christmas

I just dropped my fabulous T - Mobile Home Internet Black Box off at UPS to make my return effective today.

After taking some time to absorb what T Mobile was doing, a 2nd Agent confirmed they could NOT get the $25/mo price for existing customers.

The more I thought about it, I decided why delay the cancellation. So I am T Mobile Home Internet Homeless right now. Hopefully someone will set up a go fund me page; so I can have the world's best mobile internet again.

I don't have a plan, but just know that I will not be paying $50/mo again anytime soon. I had gone 11 months with the service.

One thing for sure, if you can sign up for $25/mo, it is absolute steal of a deal.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:47 PM   #356
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The other "Gotcha" is you must also have a qualifying phone plan with them. So not for those looking for an alternate data source when their SOB/N phone doesn't have a signal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:07 AM   #357

Model: Chateau 28A
THOR #25443
We have the Verizon flavor home internet and although it's not near as fast as cable the $50/month plan was half what we were paying for cable internet plus we take it with us RVing and just like being at home internet wise. I agree they play the discount games and offered us a $25/mo deal if we switched our cell phones to them @ around $60 a month. Not a fit for our needs.

Glad to hear they offered the service through Costco and lots of our friends looking to make the change once offered and thanks for sharing.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:43 AM   #358

THOR #13058
I had kind of reverse. 2 months after we signed up for T Mobile Home internet 50/mo Spectrum who has our fiber internet at home dropped their rate in half to $49 and doubled the speed. So until today, I had both services at home. The T Mobile was always outside in the RV and really only used it for trips or just convenience.

After Christmas, I will start to look at other options, but 1st one besides AT&T to $25/mo may win for me. I am a big fan of Verizon too. What T Mobile is doing today (Marketing games) is classic what AT&T does all the time. I will never go back to them for anything.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:06 AM   #359

Model: Chateau 28A
THOR #25443
And just a few short years ago AT&T was the only game in town up here in crazyland. I'm with ya dk never again. They got my last dime. Maybe find a relative or friend where either Verizon or T-Mobile is avail and make a deal.
Old 12-24-2022, 02:40 PM   #360
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
And just a few short years ago AT&T was the only game in town up here in crazyland. I'm with ya dk never again. They got my last dime. Maybe find a relative or friend where either Verizon or T-Mobile is avail and make a deal.
And yet my $20 a month ATT Mobley (Connected Car) plan is still providing my RV Internet without issue 5 years later.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote