Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2023, 12:41 PM   #381

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #24719
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Wow the love for t-mobile home has taking an180* turn

I'm still loving my Verizon home for $25 a month. The box stays in the motor so the smart tvs and camera are connected 24/7.

I hope the new systems you guys are doing now works well for you

Jerry
How's the Verizon service working for you? That's something that I've been looking at for our RV.

Upgrades https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ods-28849.html
v_chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #382

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_chat View Post
How's the Verizon service working for you? That's something that I've been looking at for our RV.
So far with 10000 miles driven in the new mh this year its been great. I've driven from Ca all thought the south and up to yellowstone, tetons, Bryce and zion with no problems. But I will say when I do a speed test on the system it can be low. But I've never had a problem with the smart tvs, security camera, or computer working. No buffering every. Computer is just browsing the web. No work

So I'd say if you're needing it like I use it it's great

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:59 PM   #383

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So dk... You have discovered why I call Spectrum "Sphincter"... because after they're done scr***** you, well you get the point.

Sphincter is pretty much the only game in town here - and they are SO BAD! The issue with internet everywhere (even mighty Starlink) is bandwidth. Only so much crap can be pushed through a pipe. And every time a new customer hooks up to that pipe, the crap slows even more. Then there's the constant battle of watching your monthly bill so they don't sneak a rate increase. A constant battle with Spectrum.

We finally have a new fiber optic provider coming to town... sometime in 2023. Can't wait to get back into playing musical chairs with internet providers. In the "big city" we had 3 providers. The best was Wide Open West... had them for at least 10 years. But Sphincter must pay the local politicians where we now live to keep out any competitors.
Actually my Spectrum Home service is great. It is Fiber optics and use to be Frontier / Verizon.

My Spectrum Home Internet was so good, that when I got T Mobile 5G Home Internet, I kept both. The T Mobile 5G Home can't come close to the Spectrum Fiber System at home, plus I can use my own Router as DHCP server to open ports etc.

What this was about for me... I cancelled T Mobile 5G Home Internet because they would NOT grant me SPECIAL pricing to match what they give new outside customers

How Spectrum Mobile Internet got in the equation was when I called them to see if they had a product to compete with T Mobile Home Internet.

They do and it actually worked well ( in my driveway; never had a chance to try it anywhere else) The problem is the required Galaxy tablet can only do 20GB/mo at the high speeds, before dropping.

Where Spectrum went wrong IMO, was the fact they were not upfront that of the 20GB they give you each month; only 5GB could be used as a hotspot

My T Mobile is unlimited, but to be clear I only went back to T Mobile for Price. It is by far the best. I demanded both and got both.

So Spectrum is for Home and T Mobile is for the RV or where I may travel ($75/mo total combined)

Note: I concede Spectrum Mobile Internet may not be worth a crap on the road or other areas, I have no 1st hand experience an no need to try because their service is $30/month versus my $25/mo for true unlimited hotspot with T Mobile
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:59 PM   #384

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Actually my Spectrum Home service is great. It is Fiber optics and use to be Frontier / Verizon.

My Spectrum Home Internet was so good, that when I got T Mobile 5G Home Internet, I kept both. The T Mobile 5G Home can't come close to the Spectrum Fiber System at home, plus I can use my own Router as DHCP server to open ports etc.

What this was about for me... I cancelled T Mobile 5G Home Internet because they would NOT grant me SPECIAL pricing to match what they give new outside customers

How Spectrum Mobile Internet got in the equation was when I called them to see if they had a product to compete with T Mobile Home Internet.

They do and it actually worked well ( in my driveway; never had a chance to try it anywhere else) The problem is the required Galaxy tablet can only do 20GB/mo at the high speeds, before dropping.

Where Spectrum went wrong IMO, was the fact they were not upfront that of the 20GB they give you each month; only 5GB could be used as a hotspot

My T Mobile is unlimited, but to be clear I only went back to T Mobile for Price. It is by far the best. I demanded both and got both.

So Spectrum is for Home and T Mobile is for the RV or where I may travel ($75/mo total combined)

Note: I concede Spectrum Mobile Internet may not be worth a crap on the road or other areas, I have no 1st hand experience an no need to try because their service is $30/month versus my $25/mo for true unlimited hotspot with T Mobile
I will wait 90 days and again try t mobile for $25.
I wonder if modem changed?
Old 01-04-2023, 09:12 PM   #385
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
The $25 offer has ended. It's back to $50 a month now.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:36 PM   #386

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The $25 offer has ended. It's back to $50 a month now.
Yes that limited offer is ended, I barely got it in; in time.

https://www.t-mobile.com/home-intern...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

It shows on my account as $25 credit.

It is the same black box.

Only difference I have seen is the digital artwork on the small LED screen, I guess they modernized it, and they put in stricter security requirements on the Administrators password. On my old box I had a random 10 digit number. So now I must have a letter and/or special character, so now I guess I go with a1234567
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-04-2023, 09:54 PM   #387

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I just received my T-Mobile 5G home internet receiver. I Intent to just use it for home, not in the RV to replace my $200 + cable / internet package. I intend to use my phone as a hotspot on the road until I get a better idea of just how much data I might need. If warranted, I will get a mobile hotspot for the RV. Or I might just turn on the hotspot in the TOAD. I am not expecting to really need it much on the road. The interesting thing for me at least was the cost, for me at least the $50.00 / month charge is actually supposed to be only $25.00 a month. This apparently applies to current customers with certain plans. I also questioned about the users who use it in an RV. The agent agreed that it does work but pointed out that the receiver is intended to be housed in a stationary location, and you do register the devise at a location. The problem would be that at some point T-Mobile might deactivate units that seldom or never visit the "home" location.

I think all of the points you have raised have been addressed in this otherwise very long thread, you may have search on keyword to get to it faster?

I will say this though.

Your $200 include Cable so that is separate discussion. We have You Tube TV, so we stream everything.

A year ago our Spectrum Internet at home may have been $80/mo. It is is now $40 with 3 times the speed 500mps. It has router for port forwarding and opening of ports for security cameras etc.

Also, the problem we were trying to solve was to get internet access when traveling in the RV.

T Mobile's policy is constantly changing but last year it was only one box per address, they now allow multiples. They have always claimed it must be at the address specified, but they don't block access (wink wink). My Black box is at my registered address all the time in my RV in my driveway. When I drive my RV do I take it out or turn it off? No wink wink. I have had about a year and no issues. I was told that if you try to put it some where long term ( a month or longer it may get flagged), but even that may not be true today because they do allow multiple boxes.

And yes getting a T Mobile Mobile Hotspot is cheaper than the T Mobile Home Internet, but you are restricted on data. That is why I did not stay with spectrum. I wanted true unlimited at high speeds 24/7.

So look at this way, today, I am paying less in total for both than what I was paying for Spectrum Internet only exactly 1 year ago today.
Old 01-07-2023, 03:55 AM   #388

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
We've had the Verizon home internet cube with 4g LTE service for almost a year now and only issue is lower speeds some evenings. Yesterday I recorded 58 Mbps at noon. Plenty fast for most of the stuff we use. Granted evenings can slow to under 5Mbps here but will change by location. Still a really good deal for most where offered. I suspect T-Mobile has the same or similar performance in other areas. Bonus is of course portability for RV.
Service seems to be getting faster over the past months so maybe they are adding more equipment. Sure hope so as a real game changer for us all.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:55 PM   #389

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #29258
Hello, Scubawise -
I read through the thread on T-Mobile home Internet. You made many comments and they were most helpful. Here’s my question. Have you ever been in the Georgia mountains north of Atlanta? This would be around Dahlonega and Helen, etc. Did the T-Mobile home Internet work in that area? Or anyone else that might be familiar with travel in that area and the use of T-Mobile home Internet. Thanks. 🇺🇸
Old 07-04-2023, 06:17 PM   #390

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
Hello, Scubawise -
I read through the thread on T-Mobile home Internet. You made many comments and they were most helpful. Here’s my question. Have you ever been in the Georgia mountains north of Atlanta? This would be around Dahlonega and Helen, etc. Did the T-Mobile home Internet work in that area? Or anyone else that might be familiar with travel in that area and the use of T-Mobile home Internet. Thanks. 🇺🇸
I had t mobile service there in 2022. But to get t mobile home it has to be available at your home address. If so, when you get the box, just take it with you.
Old 07-04-2023, 06:58 PM   #391

THOR #20220
Quote:
Hello, Scubawise -
It worked great around this entire Chattanooga TN area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230704_125722_Chrome.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	42670  
Old 07-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #392

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #29258
Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I had t mobile service there in 2022. But to get t mobile home it has to be available at your home address. If so, when you get the box, just take it with you.
Thanks, Jimbo -
What is the signal strong enough for you to stream?
🇺🇸
Old 07-05-2023, 01:39 PM   #393

THOR #17765
Quote:
Thanks, Jimbo -
What is the signal strong enough for you to stream?
🇺🇸
I was in Helen proper. Plenty of bandwidth. If you’re in some rv parks out in the rural area you may have issues. Dahlonega had great cell reception but didn’t try streaming. I’ve got a T mobile cell phone ( hot spot). Verizon home. And an TT&T mobile hotspot. If none of those work I watch Grit tv ota.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #394

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	42676
Old 07-05-2023, 07:16 PM   #395

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Great information.
We are on the road in 10 days.
Happy 🏕 wine on us
Old 07-07-2023, 06:05 PM   #396

Model: Aria
State: Virginia
THOR #29632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So the next question is: How do you get it if your home address doesn't "qualify"?
They can put you on a wait list OR you can use an address where there's good coverage but won't be changing from their hard line. Know anyone in a nursing home or in a college dorm?
Old 07-07-2023, 06:12 PM   #397

THOR #20220
They will ship to any address with service
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:09 PM   #398

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth# View Post
They can put you on a wait list OR you can use an address where there's good coverage but won't be changing from their hard line. Know anyone in a nursing home or in a college dorm?
Work/business address?
Old 07-08-2023, 12:38 AM   #399

THOR #20220
Quote:
Work/business address?
Don't think they care
Old 07-08-2023, 01:21 AM   #400
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Work/business address?
Tried it last year and they picked up on the commercial address and would not ship.