Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2021, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
T-Mobile Home Internet!!! $50 month

update to another post at $50 month t-mobile.
i live in montana and t-mobile said home internet will work at 5g.
I pay $94/mo to spectrum so this will cut my bill.
Someone posted they took t-mpbile on the road.
I am with family in TN and had device shipped to me here.
At harrison campground Verizon is bad 1 bar goes from 5g to 4g. slow!!
Hotspot here is better but buffers at times.

What the Hel ..i setup up t-mobile took 5 mintutes!!!
shows just 2 bars and 1.2 gb download!!

hooked up 2 computers and 2 phones MY GOD!!
my wife is thrilled!! very fast pictures everything!!

We are very happy so far

hope this helps others spending money on internet.

good luck fellow campers!!

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:42 AM   #2

Model: WindSport 36Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #25506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
update to another post at $50 month t-mobile.
i live in montana and t-mobile said home internet will work at 5g.
I pay $94/mo to spectrum so this will cut my bill.
Someone posted they took t-mpbile on the road.
I am with family in TN and had device shipped to me here.
At harrison campground Verizon is bad 1 bar goes from 5g to 4g. slow!!
Hotspot here is better but buffers at times.

What the Hel ..i setup up t-mobile took 5 mintutes!!!
shows just 2 bars and 1.2 gb download!!

hooked up 2 computers and 2 phones MY GOD!!
my wife is thrilled!! very fast pictures everything!!

We are very happy so far

hope this helps others spending money on internet.

good luck fellow campers!!
Hmmmmmmmmm.... this just might be what I was looking for. Instead of increasing MY phone to $55 for 60GBs, I could just keep it at $24/mo and use this. Hmmmmmmmmmm.... Decisions, decisions! 🤔
Underway. Shift colors!
Fweezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweezal View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm.... this just might be what I was looking for. Instead of increasing MY phone to $55 for 60GBs, I could just keep it at $24/mo and use this. Hmmmmmmmmmm.... Decisions, decisions! 🤔
60 Gb is useless for us if camping many times a month or now on the road..and once you go over it really slows down. My wife was extremely frustrated paying so much and waiting for simple internet tasks!!

She tested t mobile for 2 hours and she is shocked happy about CLEAREST TV EVER AND FAST COMPUTER
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
So the next question is: How do you get it if your home address doesn't "qualify"?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #5

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So the next question is: How do you get it if your home address doesn't "qualify"?
All you need is anyone's address that qualifies .ship it there C/O you and that person ..pick someone close they will ship 2 day anywhere..they really do not care..

I shipped to family in TN and they did not qualify
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211222-101352_Settings.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	35315  
Old 12-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #24719
Found this review of the service - https://www.theverge.com/22838200/t-...work-from-home
Upgrades https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ods-28849.html
v_chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The reality is that these "combo cellular modem/WiFi router" devices are basically a cellular signal receiver which creates a WiFi hotspot. It's the exact same principle used by Winegard and similar devices - same as using a phone as a hotspot provider.

Why all the hype? Because there is a LOT of $$$ at stake. For city dwellers, this method of receiving internet will become the de facto standard in larger metropolitan areas... where the majority of cellular customers live and work. It will drive out all the land-based carriers, because they can't compete with the technology. City dwellers will ALL have MUCH faster internet using this 5G technology... but that's not the WHOLE story.

Now the reality for everyone else. You WILL NOT be able to participate in all the hyped up speed of 5G UNLESS you plant yourself in a major metropolitan area. No one, as of yet, has figured out how to overcome the laws of radio signal propagation. The much touted 5G IS REALLY FAST... and low latency, etc. BUT...

What telecom companies "conveniently" don't tell you is that 5G utilizes VERY SHORT millimeter wavelengths. The laws of signal propagation generally dictate that the SHORTER the wavelength, the SHORTER the distance an effective signal will reach. For millimeter wavelengths that's roughly 1,000 feet. You better be in the big city within 3 football field lengths (without obstructions) or you'll be dubbed a "non participant". Funny how Verizon NEVER discloses this in their advertising blitz .

You WILL NEVER see 5G transmitters on towers along freeways like we now see with other cellular transmitters. Telecoms are perfectly happy with capturing the MAJORITY of the available cellular customer base which live in metro areas.

Bottom line is that unless you live in a major metro area densely populated with tall buildings, you won't receive ANY benefit whatsoever from the 5G madness you're being bombarded with. Well, unless you've invested heavily in telecom stock a few years back.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #8

THOR #20220
Day2. Excellent..I walked off 50 feet and here are the numbers! No TV buffering..we are not near a big city but in the middle of a park. Here is the deal my 4g 5g verizon stinks and wifi slow with theirs and winegard.

This thing is 10 times faster
Will keep testing around the country

Happy camping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211222-134742_Settings.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	35318  
Old 12-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #9

THOR #20220
From 1.2 gb down to 288 mps 50 feet away.

My family 50 feet away in their MH is using this!
Old 12-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You are receiving 4G cell signals from a nearby T-Mobile transmitter - likely on a shared tower. When you begin exploring the fringes of T-Mobile coverage area maps you likely won't be getting those speeds... Not trying to be a "negative Nellie", just being realistic.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I’ll stick with my PepWave with multiple services. Let it connect to whichever service is strongest at the time.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #12

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I’ll stick with my PepWave with multiple services. Let it connect to whichever service is strongest at the time.
That is a good solution
Old 12-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #13

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
You are receiving 4G cell signals from a nearby T-Mobile transmitter - likely on a shared tower. When you begin exploring the fringes of T-Mobile coverage area maps you likely won't be getting those speeds... Not trying to be a "negative Nellie", just being realistic.
Even at home I save $540 a year . So any any service on road is gravy
Old 12-22-2021, 10:53 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #22705
Glad to see others having success using T-Mobile home on the road. The worst connection I have had thus far has been at home (around 180MBPS) in rural Illinois 5 miles outside of our small town of 2000 people.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #15

THOR #20220
Update at Carolina beach state park NC. 2 bars t mobile home 1.2gb speed. 2 of us in motorhomes using for many devices! Amazing. Faster than verizon 5g on our phones
Old 12-31-2021, 03:17 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #22705
175 MBPS in Ball Ground, Ga. Not an approved location, but works well for streaming, etc.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:44 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inthefamily View Post
175 MBPS in Ball Ground, Ga. Not an approved location, but works well for streaming, etc.
Nice to hear we are testing t mobile home over a lot of the country funny we turned off to go to bed and our family 50 feet away was disappointed..they DO NOT miss their winegard or verizon hot spots!!
Old 12-31-2021, 05:46 PM   #18

THOR #20220
Update many family members playing toon town on computers 50 feet away from us and thrilled
Old 01-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
I have a T-Mobile/Sprint 5g tower just 1/4 mile from me at our AZ residence and 1 less than a mile away at my TX residence. We are T-Mobile 55+ plan cellular customers.
When I inquired on whether or not we could use the ONE 5g device and service in BOTH locations, I was told “No, I would need two different accounts, devices and services”. I asked why and was told “The technology was the same, but it had to do with FCC, Federal, state and local taxes and because of that each device was locked to a geographical location.”.
While I didn’t like the answer - it did make sense. This was a couple months ago and I haven’t done anything since.

It would be interesting to hear if people are taking their 5g modem/router on the road and it actually continues to work...
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:43 PM   #20

THOR #20220
We are in Georgetown SC area will see if it still works