Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Theater seats vs sofa

We have a 2017 Thor Quantum WD31 with a jack knife sofa. Given the awkward viewing angle of the TV in the main area (located in the bunk space), we would like to replace the existing sofa with two zero-clearance swivel recliners. The challenge so far in our research is finding recliners that will fit into the existing sofa space. The sofa is 70 inches long, and the smallest chairs we have found so far are listed at 28 inches wide for each - 56 inches for the pair with no wiggle room. That leaves just 14 inches total clearance for two chairs to try and swivel. Has anyone else done what we are contemplating? Advice?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The spacing might work out for you...
Did you ever really figure to spin the chairs, so that the two of you are directly facing each other?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The spacing might work out for you...
Did you ever really figure to spin the chairs, so that the two of you are directly facing each other?
No, not facing each other, but able to swivel a few degrees to the left to somewhat align visually with the screen. The other question I have is if anyone can recommend a location that did the installation for them. When I open our sofa, it appears there are just two anchor braces, one at each end, with the open floor space in between unencumbered. So, would think it not too difficult to attach chairs to the flooring for support. We would keep the sofa and reinstall if needed for resale - it would cover any holes from the swivel mounts. Make sense?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 AM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
No, not facing each other, but able to swivel a few degrees to the left to somewhat align visually with the screen. The other question I have is if anyone can recommend a location that did the installation for them. When I open our sofa, it appears there are just two anchor braces, one at each end, with the open floor space in between unencumbered. So, would think it not too difficult to attach chairs to the flooring for support. We would keep the sofa and reinstall if needed for resale - it would cover any holes from the swivel mounts. Make sense?
I think it would be pretty straight forward to "Lag bolt" a new one to the floor. Just look at what was used from the factory. I would like to do the same, but we take our Grand daughters out with us every summer. That would take away one of their beds.