Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2022, 03:41 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
This is the one that I fitted to replace the front stat.Click image for larger version

Name:	409E7CB9-B306-45B0-80B2-EAD7495F04D3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	39754
Don’t let the price scare you, that’s Canadian dollars.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
This is the one that I fitted to replace the front stat.Attachment 39754

That is exactly what we have, came OEM in our coach. Two different models though as one controls a furnace and the other does not.

What I like about them the most, is we have the Main Thermostat (w/Furnace) wired into our AGS. So when Thermostat is on and it gets too hot based on Setpoint it tries to turn on Compressor and if no power the EC-30 starts up the generator if it is in Auto mode.

What I like about them the least is you have to scroll step by step to all of the settings like Fan, Hi , Lo, Cool, Hi, Lo; Auto Cool Hi, Lo. They should have made Auto Cool Hi the default, or allow User to define default setting. If you overshoot you have to step through the sequence all over again

Overall, I give 9 out of 10
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 01:03 PM   #43

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Georgia
THOR #16633
Thermostat upgrade

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2022, 02:22 AM   #44

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
I do not know where to post this question however this thread is closest to my concern.

I have a Thor ACE 30.3, It has,
Two AC units,
Two thermostats,
But only one furnace.

One thermostat runs the Bedroom AC the other thermostat runs the living area AC but, both thermostats apparently run the furnace.

So here is my question. Is there any potential for damage if one thermostat is set to heat while the other is set to cool?

Please keep in mind that I would never intentionally do this but, with young grandchildren around who might try to experiment with the HVAC system I think this is a valid question. Please resist the temptation to point out the obvious issue of the AC and HEAT going to war with each other.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:04 AM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I do not know where to post this question however this thread is closest to my concern.

Two AC units,
Two thermostats,
But only one furnace.

One thermostat runs the Bedroom AC the other thermostat runs the living area AC but, both thermostats apparently run the furnace.

So here is my question. Is there any potential for damage if one thermostat is set to heat while the other is set to cool?

Please keep in mind that I would never intentionally do this but, with young grandchildren around who might try to experiment with the HVAC system I think this is a valid question. Please resist the temptation to point out the obvious issue of the AC and HEAT going to war with each other.
I would be surprised if Thor wired both thermostats to run the furnace I don't have a 30.3; but only my Living room thermostat is wired to control the furnace.

I can run the furnace (Living room thermostat) and my bedroom AC (bedroom thermostat) if I wanted to. There is no damage concerns. My ACs are ducted together in ceiling so unless vents are closed in living room, it will get cold air from ceiling while hot air comes from the floor.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-17-2022, 03:06 AM   #46
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

Two AC units,
Two thermostats,
But only one furnace.

Most dual A/C RVs only have one thermostat that operates the furnace. The other furnace only runs the A/C it is attached to. Have you physically verified they both run the furnace? Just because the thermostat says "HEAT" doesn't mean it's connected. I have no idea how they would even wire two different thermostats to control the furnace. What if one was set for 72 and the other was set for 80?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 12:13 AM   #47

THOR #16633
Thermostat upgrade

Quote:
Perfect replacement. I've installed the cool only version for the rear AC. it works perfectly. Next I'll install the heat\cool version in the front on the main ac. I expect the same performance. it was a direct wire upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/Airxcel-9430-...s%2C251&sr=8-1
Old 10-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #48

THOR #16633
Thermostat upgrade

Quote:
Thanks! I'll give this a try for the main thermostat.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:03 AM   #49

THOR #16633
Upgraded both from and back now. Everything is working great! Thanks all!
Old 10-29-2022, 12:23 AM   #50

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin101 View Post
Upgraded both from and back now. Everything is working great! Thanks all!
Now that is cool
Old 10-29-2022, 02:26 AM   #51

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:52 AM   #52

THOR #28145
Residential Thermostat?

Can A residential thermostat be used in place of the Coleman units my ACE 30.3 was delivered with? Do furnaces installed in RVs use the same type operations controls as residential furnaces?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 01:19 AM   #53
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Can A residential thermostat be used in place of the Coleman units my ACE 30.3 was delivered with? Do furnaces installed in RVs use the same type operations controls as residential furnaces?
Yes, and No.

The thermostats work exactly the same but your RV thermostat uses 12 VDC supply and control power instead of 24 VAC. With that being said, there are many home thermostats that use batteries for memory and display that can be used in place of that Coleman Mach thermostat. I swapped mine out years ago for a Honeywell digital thermostat and it worked great until a few months ago when the TEMP DOWN button became intermittent and then stopped working altogether. I replaced it with this thermostat for under $40:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Q5MKHQ/?th=1

Works on RVs and is easy to install.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:30 AM   #54

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Another vote for Honeywell. I replaced our entire HVAC system in the house, which came with a "free" all-the-bells-and-whistles thermostat.

So I made good use of the existing programmable home Honeywell thermostat and replaced the awful analog Coleman Mach in the motorhome with it. Works perfectly! I even use rechargeable Eneloop batteries in it.

The cool thing about Honeywell thermostats is they've been making thermostats longer than most of us have been alive. They must be making decent products to survive that long.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:30 AM   #55

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yes, and No.

The thermostats work exactly the same but your RV thermostat uses 12 VDC supply and control power instead of 24 VAC. With that being said, there are many home thermostats that use batteries for memory and display that can be used in place of that Coleman Mach thermostat. I swapped mine out years ago for a Honeywell digital thermostat and it worked great until a few months ago when the TEMP DOWN button became intermittent and then stopped working altogether. I replaced it with this thermostat for under $40:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Q5MKHQ/?th=1

Works on RVs and is easy to install.
Is there a cool only version for running the second AC unit?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:14 AM   #56
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Is there a cool only version for running the second AC unit?
No, you can use that one to control just the A/C.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:55 AM   #57

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
There is a Coleman digital thermostat that will replace the analog. Got mine from Amazon. It was basically a wire swap. But I’m only controlling one AC and the furnace.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:48 PM   #58

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
Everything posted is some good advice.. I installed a Micro-Aire Bluetooth/wifi unit. I now can change the temp without getting up from bed (glamping) and while driving (eyes off the road ?) eeks Up to 4 zones, I only have three. Wifi is great if your away and notifies you if you set parameters. BUT do your homework and select the correct unit or you will be having problems
Old 12-23-2022, 04:13 AM   #59

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A thermostat is essentially just a switch. How many bells and whistles you want is only limited by your budget.

If you figure out the wiring and understand how the thermostat works, you'll find there are a slew of residential thermostats that will also work.

But if tinkering isn't your bag, stick with RV specific ones.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #60

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I changed over the cheap thermostats back when Wal-Mart first started up as a company

They imported cheap digital Chinese programmable units with batteries that would work on milivolt heaters or RV'S without a C wire

The upper end of those also displayed temperature, this was in the late 60's

So for over 50 years we have had and have digital thermostats in our various RV'S

Only a few now that aren't OEM digital

In our homes, I prefer the Honeywell 9000, simple to use, set up, and the software is easy to use controlling several thermostats in zoned homes