Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #16870
Installed vent and seems to have solved my problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
Had to get my Thor dealer order through Forest River. I believe he looked it up under FR3 parts. Thor would not acknowledge it was an issue. FR3 comes with the vent from factory
Ordered mine and finally got it installed. Made a huge difference in the cool air it takes in. Was 92 degrees the other day and the generator ran for hours sitting in the sun and never missed a beat. Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator vent.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	24062  

Old 08-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #22

State: Indiana
THOR #20105
Forrest River Doort vent

If any body is looking for one of those trick generator door vents and shrouds. It is a Forrest River part. Andrew at Mt.Comfort RV outside of Indy has waded through the parts guys and managed to find it. Have one being shipped there now. It seems as it were a bit of a struggle as the part numbers seems to change a lot... it was not even terribly expensive... So if you are looking for one. Contact Andrew there. Truly a nice young man and very helpful.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #23

THOR #20105
generator insulation wrap

Has anybody tried to wrap the butter surface of the generator with aluminized heat wrap? We use it on race cars and it REALLY works.. It might drop the internal temps in the air plenum hence keeping the gene cooler and isolating it from the heat generated by the V-10, tire and road....Just wondering.
m
Old 09-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #24

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #16870
I installed the vent with the shroud, and it definitely pulled in cooler air. I put larger fuel line over the lines coming from the back to try to cut some heat from hitting them. I replaced my fuel pump again and hoped I had fixed the issue. Last trip on the road in 95*+ temps, the generator would shut down. I ended up buying an aftermarket in line fuel pump, mounted it on the frame rail near the fuel tank, removed the factory pump and installed a fuel pressure regulator there. We took it out of town last weekend, it ran 4+ hours each way in near 100* weather and never missed a beat. Should have done this two years ago.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
My 2019 30FE came with this door on the generator compartment. If they have it for my model, they sure should have something comparable for other models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator vent.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	25930  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid to the Law View Post
I installed the vent with the shroud, and it definitely pulled in cooler air. I put larger fuel line over the lines coming from the back to try to cut some heat from hitting them. I replaced my fuel pump again and hoped I had fixed the issue. Last trip on the road in 95*+ temps, the generator would shut down. I ended up buying an aftermarket in line fuel pump, mounted it on the frame rail near the fuel tank, removed the factory pump and installed a fuel pressure regulator there. We took it out of town last weekend, it ran 4+ hours each way in near 100* weather and never missed a beat. Should have done this two years ago.

So your conclusion from this would be that the stock fuel pump is the problem more than the air supply at the generator? I’d tend to concur inasmuch as I’ve had 4 RVs now with no added air vent and never had a problem. Most recently drove with the generator heavily loaded (AC, crock pot on high and TV) on a 98 degree day (in Iowa of all places) without a problem. SOB but similar compartment open at the bottom only. Maybe there was a batch of weak Onan pumps or something.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:23 PM   #27

THOR #30751
I've been fighting this same issue for over a year on my 2021 conquest class C. Has the onan 4000 mounted behind the drivers side front tire. It also has the air intake vents on the side of the generator. Sadley have hit a brick wall trying to order one of these vent setups. Talked to 2 forest river dealers locally, they couldn't find the part. Talked to a representative at the forest river company and was told he couldn't sell to me because my conquest was not made by forest river. I have spent days searching online and found nothing. Contacted several online rv parts places and they say it is a forest river product you can only get from them. At the point not where I'm going to look at the DIY and try to fabricate something IE find a vent and build the air funnel part out of some ductwork material maybe use self adheasive foam door strip material to cousin it where it rests against the generators air intake.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:47 PM   #28

THOR #20105
Generator vent

Hi there.
Get hold of Andrew in the parts dept of Mt comfort RV in Indianapolis. He got mine.
Also a few other mods ya need to do. Evidently the problem is caused by vapor lock. Put insulating gold foil on the fuel pump and fuel filter. But the big one we found was to put a race car heat sleeve on the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb.
We have used ours in 100 plus heat for hours at a time. I honestly think do the fuel line first. May fix your prob.
M
Old 09-07-2023, 06:51 PM   #29

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrider70 View Post
I've been fighting this same issue for over a year on my 2021 conquest class C. Has the onan 4000 mounted behind the drivers side front tire. It also has the air intake vents on the side of the generator. Sadley have hit a brick wall trying to order one of these vent setups. Talked to 2 forest river dealers locally, they couldn't find the part. Talked to a representative at the forest river company and was told he couldn't sell to me because my conquest was not made by forest river. I have spent days searching online and found nothing. Contacted several online rv parts places and they say it is a forest river product you can only get from them. At the point not where I'm going to look at the DIY and try to fabricate something IE find a vent and build the air funnel part out of some ductwork material maybe use self adheasive foam door strip material to cousin it where it rests against the generators air intake.
several years ago now I fabbed up a pretty good looking rectangular vent using two square vents I bought at West Marine. I think it was a HUGE help, but suspect that the real solution had more to do with insulating the fuel line with pipe insulation AND moving the fuel line under teh chassis so that it was further away and better shielded form the chassis engine exhaust pipe.

If you're interested I posted about it back in the day, photos and such... shoudl be able to find it
Old 09-07-2023, 09:41 PM   #30

THOR #30751
Lots of good tips! Going to use them all thanks!