Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
[QUOTE=dcbenny;70632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felices30.2 View Post
So our ACE 30.2 new never been on a trip coach has been in the shop for 6 weeks for a transfer switch and the high pitched noise. Not sure why it takes them so long. I leave next Friday for a 2 weeks trip and the new grill from Thor has not made it to the shop yet. They say they transfer switch will be ready in time. Anything I can do for this trip to stop the noise until I get back and hopefully new grill is here? I guess removing it might be a back idea?[/QUOTE

I heard putting a piece of heavy duty screening behind the grill helps you can zip tie it on

Old 06-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #22

THOR #5196
[QUOTE=dcbenny;70632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felices30.2 View Post
So our ACE 30.2 new never been on a trip coach has been in the shop for 6 weeks for a transfer switch and the high pitched noise. Not sure why it takes them so long. I leave next Friday for a 2 weeks trip and the new grill from Thor has not made it to the shop yet. They say they transfer switch will be ready in time. Anything I can do for this trip to stop the noise until I get back and hopefully new grill is here? I guess removing it might be a back idea?[/QUOTE

I heard putting a piece of heavy duty screening behind the grill helps you can zip tie it on
A piece of window screen fastened with zip ties will work great to stop the noise. Put some silicone spray on your sliding window tracks, makes them easier to move and close tightly, sometimes the noise is from them. Also make sure your engine hood fits tightly, that's what was causing the noise on our Windsport.

Hope you have a wonderful and safe trip, enjoy that new coach!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:20 PM   #23
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We met 2 ladies on our trip last week...with a new ACE ... complaining about the hi pitch noise...turns out it is the front grill....her dealer replaced it with another insert and noise ceased....also...what Ed said...is a good idea...if you put a screen behind your grill, it will aid in preventing rocks, etc. coming through your radiator.

In addition...noise...in our 24.1, I had an annoying noise on the passenger side...last year when we began traveling in our new coach...turns out...
I close the a/c vent next to the window often....and when I do, I get a whistle...lesson learned...leave it open just a bit
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #7806
Hello All,

We just purchased a 2017 ACE 29.2 on Saturday. On the drive home, we experienced a very loud noise when we were on the highway. It sounds to me like it is the same issue everyone here is having so I went ahead and called Thor.
But when I requested the "Grill Mesh" that ya'll said they sent for free but the rep gave me a part number and told me I had to order from a dealer? So I'm wondering if I asked for the wrong thing, or did ya'll have to order through a dealer as well?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #25

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
I had that sound, what I did was the screws that lock the hood I adjusted them a little tighter sounds gone. Also they had to a adjust the drivers side window.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #26

Model: ACE 29.4 (2016)
State: Colorado
THOR #3102
I just replaced my ACE 29.4 stock grill with the www.customcargrills.com mesh grill mentioned in this post and the loud whistling is gone while driving on the highway. It is so much quieter now driving on the highway! This is the best modification I gave made to my ACE.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #27

Model: ACE 29.0
THOR #2581
I was all ready to hit the ORDER button as this looks great and apparently solves the problem but how do you now get into the engine compartment?
Old 07-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #28

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Delaware
THOR #5616
To get into the engine compartment use the "skate Key" that they gave you when you bought the coach. I'm assuming you're old enough to remember skate keys....upper corner of hood above the grill insert key and turn counter clockwise till it stops. Do the same on the other corner and pull out and up on the hood. I just installed the mesh grill in front of the original grill rather than just using the flimsy mesh grill (your choice).
Old 07-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #29

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
To get into the engine compartment use the "skate Key" that they gave you when you bought the coach. I'm assuming you're old enough to remember skate keys....upper corner of hood above the grill insert key and turn counter clockwise till it stops. Do the same on the other corner and pull out and up on the hood. I just installed the mesh grill in front of the original grill rather than just using the flimsy mesh grill (your choice).
Really shifty; is that really what that key is for?

Now back to the question for those of you that have installed the mesh grill. I'm assuming it's held in there with something and per the pics provided I'm curious how you would get it out say to check the oil, add washer fluid etc etc
I don't see any key slots for that funny looking little key or any other type.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:05 AM   #30

THOR #2581
I was sort of hoping that someone that did this mod would have answered my question on how you gain access to the engine after the mod. I think I'll be looking for a different way. I sort of like to check fluids often and removing a grill held in by ??? doesn't sound like something I want to do.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 AM   #31
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
I was sort of hoping that someone that did this mod would have answered my question on how you gain access to the engine after the mod. I think I'll be looking for a different way. I sort of like to check fluids often and removing a grill held in by ??? doesn't sound like something I want to do.
Probably because nobody understands what your concern is. The mesh grill/replacement grill goes in the same place as your current grill and doesn't impeded engine access any more than the standard grill does.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:25 AM   #32

THOR #5196
Grill, not the hood. The grill does not affect access under the hood in any way, go look at how your hood operates. The grill is below the hood.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #33

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I you cut it just right you can use some very small black zip-ties to secure it to the original grill, just behind it... or in front of it, your choice.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #34

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Probably because nobody understands what your concern is. The mesh grill/replacement grill goes in the same place as your current grill and doesn't impeded engine access any more than the standard grill does.
Actually it would impede access but having gone back and looked at the pic again I think you are correct, some do not understand. My grill is in fact the "hood", whereas in the pic (a 29.2) this is a different setup. My bad but looking at some of the pics on your monikers they are exactly like mine so how did you do it and still gain access.

Really SuperD!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #35

THOR #5196
Quote:
Actually it would impede access but having gone back and looked at the pic again I think you are correct, some do not understand. My grill is in fact the "hood", whereas in the pic (a 29.2) this is a different setup. My bad but looking at some of the pics on your monikers they are exactly like mine so how did you do it and still gain access.

Really SuperD!
No offense, just messin' with the Navy!!!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 AM   #36
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

Really SuperD!
What year is your ACE that the "grill is ..... the hood"? The grill on all newer ACEs is fixed/non-movable below the movable hood. Those are the ones this thread is about.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:41 AM   #37

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
What year is your ACE that the "grill is ..... the hood"? The grill on all newer ACEs is fixed/non-movable below the movable hood. Those are the ones this thread is about.

It's a 2015. I think they changed to the new grill in 2016 thus the confusion. I've had the whistling in mine nonetheless and that's why I jumped on this. Unless I cut the mesh in half not sure this would work. Thank you
Old 08-01-2017, 03:58 AM   #38

THOR #5196
Quote:
It's a 2015. I think they changed to the new grill in 2016 thus the confusion. I've had the whistling in mine nonetheless and that's why I jumped on this. Unless I cut the mesh in half not sure this would work. Thank you
Go to this site https://www.customcargrills.com they have grill screens by the sheet in several different styles, colors, and shapes. You could cut separate pieces for each side of your grill openings and fasten to the back side, they would not interfere with opening or access. You may have to be creative in how you fasten the screens but they should work, plus you get stone protection for your radiator.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:55 AM   #39

Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
THOR #8513
I have the same problem, my Windsport only whistles in the rain and only about 50 mph. Did you try changing the grill to see if it stopped it?
Old 09-04-2017, 02:33 AM   #40

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
I had it in our ACE. I tighten the two locks on the hood.