Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #81
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!

Think of the money you just saved...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #18501
Sharing my frustration

Thank you to everyone that has posted solutions to this problem. I just can not believe that Thor has not incorporated this mesh into new models as I see these previous posts were in 2017. I bought a used 2019 ACE 30.2 near the end of the year from a local rental service. So it had been used for two seasons so I got a great deal on it. I was upgrading from a 1998 Winnebago(which I love) however our growing family needed more beds and room. I don’t know why but I never test drove the rig before purchasing it, it still seemed brand new, they had the service records so I assumed a new RV would have no issues especially being broken into and was covered under warranty before I purchased it.

Now the frustrating part, this rig made more noise than my 98! Squeaking like rubber and plastic rubbing together coming from all over the dash and then once over 50 mph the noise, oh the piercing wind noise coming from the window. So loud and annoying!
I asked a few of the local RV shops and they said they couldn’t guarantee getting rid of the dash noises and would pretty pricey and they didn’t work on the windows in regards to the wind noise. After a few trips with the family I had to get this fixed!
I resealed the top of the window where it looked like air could possibly get into. That didn’t work. Called a local Thor certified service center and told me to drop it off but would work on it in order. I had a trip planned in a week so I asked some questions and the rep suggested to contact Thor directly about a part for the awning that I needed ASAP. I couldn’t believe I didn’t think of that! And that’s when I found out that the wind noise is supposedly from the grill! Made no sense to me. The very helpful and polite Thor rep said she’d send me a honeycomb grill to replace my original however the Thor company was gonna be shut down for 3 weeks due to CV19 pandemic. So in the meantime I decided to try to get rid of the squeaking in the dash. I was able to take some of the dash apart and put felt tape on every part that would touch another part and I also found that dash area around the stereo console was broken off any support. I could not believe how sloppy the work was under the dash. I reconnected the plastic dash to the wood with any washers and brackets I could find. It actually worked, no more squeaking! I probably spent 7 hours on this however I really didn’t know what I was doing. And then the grill came in the mail! To my surprise it was a long rectangle of wire mesh. And that’s when I found this post in hopes to find out how to install this wire mesh. After a few attempts of where and how to connect it, it ended up behind the original, secured it to bottom bolts, and then drilled small holes in the grill and zip tied it to the mesh. I also tightened the hood locks to keep it shut more tight. And then the test drive.......NO MORE NOISE!
I JUST CAN NOT BELIEVE WHY THIS ISSUE HAS NOT BEEN FIXED WITH THE CURRENT MODELS
and I still can not believe it was the grilll!
Or was it the hood?

Pictures show how the mesh was installed and felt on dash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13B709F6-8C3F-49D7-9867-7AB528EFDB42.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	23165   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E339C1A-9846-4DB9-B830-CD10EC819F2D.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	23166  

Click image for larger version

Name:	29694661-250D-4322-86DC-139BF42EEFA5.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	23167   Click image for larger version

Name:	C24C09C7-7E72-4084-A9CA-9D0BE5FCF6E0.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	23168  

Old 07-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #83

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #18970
I just did 4200 miles in the ACE I purchased last month. The high pitched wind noise squeal was super annoying. I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm really amazed that Thor has not fixed this problem that has been around for a really long time. Why would they continue to keep making coaches with this issue for years after a definite problem has already been identified??

Hopefully I can get this fixed before the next trip out. It's literally the most annoying thing when driving.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #84
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We used to just turn the radio up louder...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #85

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Thor ACE High Pitch Wind Noise SOLVED

The first fix I made to our 30.2 was the honeycomb insert zip tied. What a difference. Also found a rattle in the drivers A-pillar plastic panel. Nothing a bit of foam weather seal couldn’t fix. [emoji6]
We have a 2017 30.2 so ask away. We are so lucky we have NO!!!! Major Issues with ours. Must have been built on a Wednesday. [emoji16] minor issues I can fix and you “have” to be handy to own one or these.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #86

THOR #16872
Hi,

Is this apply also to a 2019 model? My Thor ACE 30 has a different front grill.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #87

THOR #18501
Yes mine is a 2019
Can you post your grill?
Old 10-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #88

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Wyoming
THOR #8160
High Pitched Noise

Had the same problem with my 2016 Hurricane. My noise seemed to be coming from the passenger side upper windshield area. It varied by speed and wind direction. I pushed on the passenger upper corner and the windshield actually moved. Took it to a Novus glass shop who told me the windshield was not properly installed. He pushed on several areas of the windshield from the inside with me on the outside. I saw several areas move when he pushed on it. I got the windshield replaced and have not heard any noise since.
Front Sumo Shocks
Roadmaster Front & Rear Anti Sway Bar's
Dan In Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #89

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I know this thread is old. Just have few questions. I have a 2021 Thor ACE with this SAME exact front grill. I have the honeycomb grill I ordered from the previous link from CustomGrill sitting in my house. Getting ready to install them.

Did you remove the Original Grill and form-fit the screen? Do you have some more pictures on how you attached the grill? (Bolt that you mentioned). Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHOMiE Mike View Post
Thank you to everyone that has posted solutions to this problem. I just can not believe that Thor has not incorporated this mesh into new models as I see these previous posts were in 2017. I bought a used 2019 ACE 30.2 near the end of the year from a local rental service. So it had been used for two seasons so I got a great deal on it. I was upgrading from a 1998 Winnebago(which I love) however our growing family needed more beds and room. I don’t know why but I never test drove the rig before purchasing it, it still seemed brand new, they had the service records so I assumed a new RV would have no issues especially being broken into and was covered under warranty before I purchased it.

Now the frustrating part, this rig made more noise than my 98! Squeaking like rubber and plastic rubbing together coming from all over the dash and then once over 50 mph the noise, oh the piercing wind noise coming from the window. So loud and annoying!
I asked a few of the local RV shops and they said they couldn’t guarantee getting rid of the dash noises and would pretty pricey and they didn’t work on the windows in regards to the wind noise. After a few trips with the family I had to get this fixed!
I resealed the top of the window where it looked like air could possibly get into. That didn’t work. Called a local Thor certified service center and told me to drop it off but would work on it in order. I had a trip planned in a week so I asked some questions and the rep suggested to contact Thor directly about a part for the awning that I needed ASAP. I couldn’t believe I didn’t think of that! And that’s when I found out that the wind noise is supposedly from the grill! Made no sense to me. The very helpful and polite Thor rep said she’d send me a honeycomb grill to replace my original however the Thor company was gonna be shut down for 3 weeks due to CV19 pandemic. So in the meantime I decided to try to get rid of the squeaking in the dash. I was able to take some of the dash apart and put felt tape on every part that would touch another part and I also found that dash area around the stereo console was broken off any support. I could not believe how sloppy the work was under the dash. I reconnected the plastic dash to the wood with any washers and brackets I could find. It actually worked, no more squeaking! I probably spent 7 hours on this however I really didn’t know what I was doing. And then the grill came in the mail! To my surprise it was a long rectangle of wire mesh. And that’s when I found this post in hopes to find out how to install this wire mesh. After a few attempts of where and how to connect it, it ended up behind the original, secured it to bottom bolts, and then drilled small holes in the grill and zip tied it to the mesh. I also tightened the hood locks to keep it shut more tight. And then the test drive.......NO MORE NOISE!
I JUST CAN NOT BELIEVE WHY THIS ISSUE HAS NOT BEEN FIXED WITH THE CURRENT MODELS
and I still can not believe it was the grilll!
Or was it the hood?

Pictures show how the mesh was installed and felt on dash
Old 02-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #90

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Funny how Thor seemed not too surprised about your finding!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:50 PM   #91

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Response to ador.

I have a 2019 ACE 29.3. I removed my main grill and made it so much easier to install customcargrill to back side of it. I used construction adhesive to install zip tie mounts and zip ties (Amazon). The mounts and zip ties are all hidden behind the grill and no holes to dril.

I hope this helps you.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #92

State: Texas
THOR #24237
Id love the link! I have a 2018 Venetian and it has become such an assault to my senses!