Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Thor Chateau 22E camera install

I'm in the process of getting a rearview camera for my rig and am pretty much settled on a wired unit however drilling holes to route wiring is not something I look forward to unless I know exactly where to drill. Anybody here done this or knows of a place I can find this info? I would also be interested in hearing about pic quality on the new wireless units. My last one was not good.
Thanks

Old 08-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
I'm in the process of getting a rearview camera for my rig and am pretty much settled on a wired unit however drilling holes to route wiring is not something I look forward to unless I know exactly where to drill. Anybody here done this or knows of a place I can find this info? I would also be interested in hearing about pic quality on the new wireless units. My last one was not good.
Thanks
My coach has a valance, for the lack of a better word..... basically a trim board installed at an angle as if it were crown moulding, along the back wall in my bedroom.

It was simply tacked in place and in fact fell down 2 or 3 trips in, and I reattached better than factory. Anyway, if you have that, it would a simple matter to pull it down and have a look. This is where the wiring for my camera and the rear clearance lights run.

Other than that, i suggest calling customer service
the should be able to supply a structural diagram so you can get some idea of where the metal structure is running
and can likely give you some idea about the wiring too, although i wouldn't hold my breath on this part.

I saw where somebody posted that they mounted their camera in the position formally occupied by the center clearance light. I personally would not go that route, but instead mount it below the light.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
My coach has a valance, for the lack of a better word..... basically a trim board installed at an angle as if it were crown moulding, along the back wall in my bedroom.

It was simply tacked in place and in fact fell down 2 or 3 trips in, and I reattached better than factory. Anyway, if you have that, it would a simple matter to pull it down and have a look. This is where the wiring for my camera and the rear clearance lights run.
than that, i suggest calling customer service
the should be able to supply a structural diagram so you can get some idea of where the metal structure is running
and can likely give you some idea about the wiring too, although i wouldn't hold my breath on this part.

I saw where somebody posted that they mounted their camera in the position formally occupied by the center clearance light. I personally would not go that route, but instead mount it below the light.
I'll give that a look. I've been doing a little more research and it appears that maybe, just maybe, the wireless unit from RVS may have perfected the interference problems associated with wireless. They offer a 30 day return if there is so I may try that.
thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I personally have never been a fan of wireless anything....
I still prefer ethernet connected printers over wireless for example,
ditto wired keyboards and mouses, etc....
seems there's always batteries to be changed, interference glitches, etc....

But I'll admit that technology is advancing and it's not what it once was!

For what it's worth, if I were looking at a camera install, I would think seriously about a separate dedicated monitor instead of using the radio..... this is my first MH and I really don't like the integrated radio/camera display.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I mounted it below the light as well on my 2003 class C Sunseeker and used top light hole to run wires in. Worked very well for years!

I bought a 7 inch monitor along with a cheap camera from china on ebay -had to replace camera for water leakage after one year- coated the second camera with liquid rubber), and it lasted for three years till I traded RV in.

I also wired camera into clearance light wire to prevent having to run 12 wire-worked when park lights on!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote