Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Water heater cover

Did anybody modify their water heater cover? On my Thor 23U the cover was screwed in place looked like a Thor product. I took two magnetic plates attached them into each end (inside access hole). Then attached two stainless brushed silver knobs (on panel) where the old screws were located. Now I have a removable cover. sorry no pictures

Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have had something like that on my list of things to do though.... for the heater, the pump, and the water heater. All through are screwed in place in a way a kid would have done it. In fact now it's worse since Camping world decided to add screws top and bottom to my pump door cover.

So you are relying solely on the magnets, with no mechanical attachment?

I never thought about using knobs. I bought thread inserts and knurled screws to replace mine with.... but now I need more since camping world's modification...

I'm a mechanical guy an I like a positive mechanical attachment for things.... I'm not a chemist so I don't like relying on adhesives solely, and I'm not a sorcerer and don't go for that magic magnetic stuff either.... but do you find they hold well enough?

I'm rethinking now, maybe use my thread insert idea along with small knobs. Might look better and be easier to remove without tools.... You gave me something else to study on....
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I did screw in two 1"1/2"X 1" pine wood, (only along the top and bottom of the door itself), to keep the door from falling down. and a a velcro strip along the top. originally I had four velcro strips on the door, it lasted on our last trip of 1700 miles, did not move.