Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thor gas quality question for the experts?

My brother just got a 2019 Integra Vision 31V and dealer saif only use oabove 87 octane in gas or use 87 with the additives (i think red or blue $2 additive). or use only non ethanol?

what are the thinking of the experts here?

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:47 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
He should check the chassis manual from the manufacturer to see what the minimum requirement is for the engine in the coach...... but I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H with the Ford V10 Triton and it was able to run 87 (E10) without any issues..... or additives.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:56 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
My brother just got a 2019 Integra Vision 31V and dealer saif only use oabove 87 octane in gas or use 87 with the additives (i think red or blue $2 additive). or use only non ethanol?

what are the thinking of the experts here?
From the 2019 owner's manual

Choosing the Right Fuel

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing.
Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.
We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance. For additional information, refer to www.toptiergas.com.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I use regular pump gas - 87 octane, E10 - without problems. I do expect that premium or ethanol free would give some small performance improvement but not enough, in my opinion, to justify the added expense. It was designed to run on this stuff and it does so admirably. I don’t worry about it.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If the engine can get it to burn: the electronics package will make sure that it doesn't harm the engine...
But if you want optimum performance...
Old 04-07-2021, 11:17 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Name:  BS Meter.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  14.2 KB

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:28 AM   #7

THOR #20220
Thx Beau 388! And
Others
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 04-08-2021, 02:43 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
We have run into the 85 octane "regular" in the mountain regions of the west. In those cases I fill with the mid grade which, surprise, is listed at 87 octane. As my owners manual in my last MH a Chevy and now my Ford stipulates a minimum octane rating of 87 I won't take a chance and put the 85 in my rig. If something failed in my engine the manufacturer could void any warranty due to the use of unrecommended fuel.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:34 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I ran into less than 87 octane in New Mexico and used it with no problem. I wouldn't want to run it on a regular basis but a tank here or there probably wont hurt. That dealer needs to read the documentation associated with product he is selling. He is also one of the reasons people trust lawyers and politicians more than salesmen.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:21 AM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I’d love to hear from CO & NM residents.

I’m like Lt Keefer...when I’m traveling in or thru CO & NM, I generally fill the V-10 tank with 85 octane.

But I can be persuaded to follow the Ford rules and maintain 87 octane only.
I just need to hear opinions from those who live in the states where 85 octane is sold as the standard fare.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #11

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Montana has 85 and everyone that lives there doesn’t have a problem. If they did they wouldn’t sell it. It’s all based on the elevation so as long as you are traveling in that state you are okay. When we are coming back from Montana I will get 89 though because as well come back into Washington state the 85 wouldn’t be the best.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:35 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I run 87, periodically 91 left over from racecar or when RV just needs 12 gallon or less before pulling in to track. No issues.

Octane listed by manufacturers is minimum. From what I have seen higher does not hurt just adds expense. I use and additive each year at beginning of summer to clean fuel system. If I am going to tow through areas like westdrn NC I fill with 91 to limit pinging. I know people who only use ethanol free gas. Is a pain to find at times and if unit is used frequently enough I see no issues. Is important to not let ethanol mix sit too long. I run racecar on pump gas $3.50/gal vs race gas $12.00/gal to save on operating cost and itworks fine as long as top tier and fresh.

That is all based on my experience.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When does the oil viscosity discussion start?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
If your RV has a Ford Triton V-10., please remember it does not have a knock sensor like most modern gasoline vehicles. This means the engine can destroy itself if the gasoline is octane deficient. Ford originally installed a knock sensor in the early versions of this engine but the V-10's eternal noise is sufficient to activate the all versions of knock sensors at specific rpm ranges; seriously degrading fuel mileage. In order to meet EPA requirements Ford removed the knock sensor in 1999.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #15

THOR #20220
Now!!!

Engine oil viscosity refers to how easily oil pours at a specified temperature. Thin oils have lower viscosity and pour more easily at low temperatures than thicker oils that have a higher viscosity.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I like the smell of peanut oil...
But would Canola work better?
Old 04-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Jan 11, 2021 — Here are the best canola oils you can buy for all of your cooking and baking needs. Best Overall: Spectrum Naturals Organic Canola Oil. Best Organic: La Tourangelle Organic Canola Oil. Best Spray: La Tourangelle Organic Canola Oil Spray. Best for Baking: Native Harvest Expeller Pressed Non-GMO Canola Oil.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
For sprays, I really prefer the sprayable Olive Oil. Have to say though, it's sooooo hard to get it to spray into the engine!
Old 04-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Now we're cookin'!
Old 04-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235