Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
Thor ACE 30.1 2016 in-dash stereo replacement, and HDMI feed

Thor ACE 30.1 2016

I am replacing the stock Axxera AV614BH (which has died) with a JVC KW-66BT. I am also adding speakers in the cab area (these will now be the "front " speakers, the existing ones will be the "rear" speakers.) On a separate project, I have removed the (working) outside TV to replace either the bedroom (dead) or livingroom (dead) TV.

My questions:

1. The replacement in-dash stereo has a lead to connect to the headlight circuit to dim the display. (This is something the original didn't have.) What's a good place to tap into. What color is the wire and where do I find it?

2. What fuse(s) are feeding the radio so I can pull them before doing splices?

3. I intend to mount the speaker brackets just outboad of the sun visors on each side, and screwed (up) into the same surface. Is there anything there I need to be concern about drilling into? I can't really tell what the material there is. Is it going to be solid enough to screw in to? Is the visor bracket screwed to it, or to an anchor? (I took one screw of the visor bracket most of the way out to see, but couldn't really tell and didn't uncrew it all the way lest I lose the anchor.)

4. When I removed the TV from the outdoor compartment I discovered that there is an HDMI feed terminating there. The dealer had told us there is a feed from the in-dash player to the kitchen/livingroom TV, but we had already learned that there was no HDMI at either of those places. So where is the other end of the HDMI cable that came to the outside TVC?

I've been to schematic on Owner Resources and it anwers none of my questions.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Comments in text.

I am replacing the stock Axxera AV614BH (which has died) with a JVC KW-66BT. I am also adding speakers in the cab area (these will now be the "front " speakers, the existing ones will be the "rear" speakers.) On a separate project, I have removed the (working) outside TV to replace either the bedroom (dead) or livingroom (dead) TV.

My questions:

1. The replacement in-dash stereo has a lead to connect to the headlight circuit to dim the display. (This is something the original didn't have.) What's a good place to tap into. What color is the wire and where do I find it?
Best to use the wire coming from the dash lights roller switch. Tapping into Ford's CAN-bus can be tricky. Either wire will work

2. What fuse(s) are feeding the radio so I can pull them before doing splices?
With Plant 750 coaches there is USUALLY a five amp in line fuse behind the radio This is for the radio memory and a 5-15 amp fuse in the power center that powers both radios.

3. I intend to mount the speaker brackets just outboad of the sun visors on each side, and screwed (up) into the same surface. Is there anything there I need to be concern about drilling into? I can't really tell what the material there is. Is it going to be solid enough to screw in to? Is the visor bracket screwed to it, or to an anchor? (I took one screw of the visor bracket most of the way out to see, but couldn't really tell and didn't uncrew it all the way lest I lose the anchor.)

It is just a vinyl molded trim piece with no real structure.

4. When I removed the TV from the outdoor compartment I discovered that there is an HDMI feed terminating there. The dealer had told us there is a feed from the in-dash player to the kitchen/livingroom TV, but we had already learned that there was no HDMI at either of those places. So where is the other end of the HDMI cable that came to the outside TVC?

There should be a media center cubby. Mine is above the microwave. All HDMI cables terminate there and were plugged into a BOMB. There is also a inverter powered duplex receptacle located there

I've been to schematic on Owner Resources and it answers none of my questions.

Thanks.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
Thanks, and... still pondering

Thanks!

1. I'll check that out.
2. ]Both the old and new radios have a 15A fuse plugged into the back. My concern is with working on the wiring harness while hot.
3. The sun visor is screwed into it - or to an anchor, can't quite tell - and seems real solid. Knocking on it, it sounds like plywood or particle board behind (above) the thin padding.

4. No cubby there, no outlet there, and my coach didn't have an inverter unti I installed it. Thor says there's only one HDMI cable, and they think the other end is at the livingroom/kitchen TV. It's not, and it wouldn't make much sense for it to be. Of course, it's not in the one place I can think of where it would make sense (in the dash) either.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #4

State: Maine
THOR #23800
Can I replace my existing radio in my 2018 29' ACE to one that will play CD's?
Old 06-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer4649 View Post
Can I replace my existing radio in my 2018 29' ACE to one that will play CD's?

Sure. Any car stereo place can do it or you can do it yourself after purchasing any double DIN radio you like, perhaps from a place like Crutchfield. It usually is pretty easy in an RV because access is excellent.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #6

State: Maine
THOR #23800
I want to replace the in dash radio, the one with all the cameras.