Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #22587
Thor Mercedes Diesel Class C Sway Issue

I am a new owner of the Class C Mercedes Diesel 3500, Citation 24SJ motor home and while we love the coach layout and detail, I am very disappointed in the sway from wind and large passing trucks

I understand this is an issue with a lot of motor homes from the website comments.

Guess my first question is where to start to minimize the sway? Roadmaster auxiliary rear sway bar? Hellwig upgrade front sway bar?

Any tips on where to purchase and have installed would be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:52 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
SumoSprings will stop the sway...
I've got them on all 4 corners of mine!
Old 09-15-2021, 01:03 AM   #3

Model: Quantum 24CR
State: Florida
THOR #24306
I have the Quantum 24CR and agree the sway is not pleasant.

I’ve ordered Fox shocks for the rear and will decide after that if i need to do more. The new Mercedes chassis already has the heavier rear sway bar. I’ll look to options on front if this isn’t enough.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:51 AM   #4

THOR #22587
Thanks for the help.

The summo springs are the rubber plates that go between the existing springs?
Old 09-15-2021, 02:56 AM   #5

THOR #22587
It is my understanding Roadmaster makes an auxiliary rear sway bar that can be added to the present factory bar.
They also can supply a replacement sway bar. Your understanding is the replacement bar is not any stronger than the present factory bar?
Old 09-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #6

THOR #24306
Read this posting on other forum. I found this after I went under my coach and thought bar looked larger than what people were replacing. Very informative thread…

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f280/my-...on-478870.html

I google my questions with forum in the line so I’m not limited to just this forum for info.

Edit
Did you have your alighnment/toe/camber checked? I thought coach drove ok so I was shocked when I had mine done. I did a thread here on results. Ask Thor for goodwill reimbursement.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABBOTT View Post
Thanks for the help.

The summo springs are the rubber plates that go between the existing springs?
Yes, and they do a really great job of reducing the amount of sway.
It's probably the easiest thing that you could try.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #8

THOR #24306
I looked up the auxiliary sway bar you referenced. I am sticking with the Fox shock option. I’m a couple months in on the back order log and will wait for those. I don’t like the mention of having to modify exhaust in the description of the sway bar plus I feel the OEM sway bar is sufficient for that aspect of sway. Everything I have found on the Fox shocks has been extremely positive. The mechanic at the shop that does my alignment said Fox were the best and I will love them… I will do those and re-evaluate after.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I added Summo Springs a couple of years ago to my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS which is built on a 2017 MB Chassis. It solved the majority of the issue of side sway(going in and out of driveways and passing trucks on the road). They are very easy to self install and would be the first thing you should consider. They are called Summo Springs but actually just replace the MB factory bump stops from the frame to the chassis.

Paul
Old 09-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #10

THOR #22587
From the web comments its hard to tell if the Hellwig replacement sway bars are actually heavier.
Have seen several positive comments about the sumo springs. Have you tried those on the rear.
I will look up the Fox shocks. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #11

THOR #22587
Thanks Paul. I have looked up the install on u-tube and agree that should at least be the first option.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #12

THOR #24306
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABBOTT View Post
From the web comments its hard to tell if the Hellwig replacement sway bars are actually heavier.
Have seen several positive comments about the sumo springs. Have you tried those on the rear.
I will look up the Fox shocks. Thanks for the help.
From what I have read it’s about .1 difference. Practically nothing IF you have the newer chassis. Mercedes also apparently fixed the bolt issue on new chassis. The cost is not worth doing that IMHO. But I spent a lot for the Fox shocks after all my research. I went for biggest bang. If I’m not happy I will do the sumos also. Agileoffroad.com

Since waitlist is about six months for Fox it would be good to do the sumos now vs nothing but I’m not that big of a rush and I’m not sure I could do the sumos myself to keep costs low. It’s about 225 to get shocks installed once I receive them. I’m not “auto mechanical” and at 115 pounds I don’t have the physical strength men do.☹️
Old 09-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #13

THOR #24306
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I added Summo Springs a couple of years ago to my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS which is built on a 2017 MB Chassis. It solved the majority of the issue of side sway(going in and out of driveways and passing trucks on the road). They are very easy to self install and would be the first thing you should consider. They are called Summo Springs but actually just replace the MB factory bump stops from the frame to the chassis.

Paul
Which sumos did you add in case I decide to add those also?
Old 09-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
First thing I did was get an alignment. that took care of 50% of my sway issues. I had a +5 caster adjustment made.

Next I replaced the factory front sway bar for a Roadmaster. Another 20% or more resolution to sway.

We are to embark on a 3000 mile trip. If I need anything else, I'll probably do Sumo Springs to help with the bounce.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:36 PM   #15

THOR #12698
I installed the SSR-338-47 Sumos to the rear and the SSF-106-40 Sumos to the front end. The rear ones slip into the factory bracket and the front ones have a threaded bolt that extends out of the top to hold it in place. I did remove the front wheel on each side to gain better access. I used my hydraulic levelers plus a stand alone bottle jack for safety.

Paul
Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 PM   #16

Model: 2015 Citation 24SR
State: Mississippi
THOR #8834
Smile Alignment

I own a 2014 Citation 24SR and had an alignment done before I went on a trip to the Grand Canyon. Driving Hwy 89 from Flagstaff to the Canyon the wind was blowing & howling plus hundreds of tumbleweeds were hurtling across the road and hitting our motorhome. Real wild west. Had to stop twice to remove tumbleweeds from under RV. Off in the mountains we witnessed a huge wildfire. I really didn't sign up for this, but, it made for a unforgettable experience. Only bad thing that happened on that trip (which was my fault) was we lost a rear hub cap in New Mexico on the interstate. If anyone see it let me know. I did experience a little sway, but for the wind speed felt the motorhome did an excellent job on the trip. Safe Travels!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #17

THOR #12698
KUDZU50 Sorry that you lost a wheel simulator(chrome hub cap). I lost one just over a year ago and replaced it for about $100.00. I then used zip ties to add security to each one to be sure that another does not fall off. I put 2 zip ties on each simulator attaching it to the rim.

Paul