Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
7 days camping using stove, water heater and fridge and we only used 2.5 lbs propane
Yes it is pretty small. I know some have problems with propane absorption fridges, particularly in hot climates. But i don't dry camp in hot weather and have never had a problem with them.

DC fridges on the other hand, consume 50-75 amp hour daily, which when dry camping will take either lots of solar panels (and no shade) or hours of generator running to replace.

Glad I got an absorption fridge on our new Axis.

David

Old 04-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #22

State: New York
THOR #21937
My fridge has a sticker right inside the door that says it draws 300W. You should have a sticker or plate somewhere with similar info. Or maybe it's in an owner's manual. That vital information to know.

I have two 195W solar panels and a bank of four 100Ah AGM batteries. Just bought four more 250W solar panels. I also have a 400W wind turbine and am awaiting delivery on 540W more of mini turbines. In all, I will be able to generate 2.33kW in ideal conditions.
JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Yes it is pretty small. I know some have problems with propane absorption fridges, particularly in hot climates. But i don't dry camp in hot weather and have never had a problem with them.

DC fridges on the other hand, consume 50-75 amp hour daily, which when dry camping will take either lots of solar panels (and no shade) or hours of generator running to replace.

Glad I got an absorption fridge on our new Axis.

David

Compressor fridge load of 50~75 Amp-hours is under 1 kWh daily, which would only take 30 minutes of generator time daily on average if charging at 2 kW rate, and 20 minutes at 3 kW rate. Obviously, the initial issue is that most motorhomes can’t charge at that rate due to limited converter capacity and also that “normal” batteries can’t accept charge that fast.

Lots of solar is one solution, but requires parking/camping in sun, limited capacity in winter, etc.

An option to solar for those who want residential fridges is to have a high-capacity converter, and charging a larger lithium battery bank so that 2~3 kW of battery charging can be accomplished when powered by 4,000-Watt Onan generator.

Setting other smaller loads aside, an hour of generator run time every 2 to 3 days is all that’s required. I personally think that’s the direction the industry is headed short-term, but requires moving past 12V systems. And that’s not as difficult as it sounds.

There are now inverter/chargers with converter capacity that can exceed generator power, so it should be possible to run a generator fully loaded for much shorter period to charge battery bank. That should save fuel also. I would prefer that over a roof full of solar panels, or a propane/absorption fridge.

Propane is no doubt cheapest, easiest, and most efficient way to power a fridge, but I still want a 12V (or 48V) fridge in my next motorhome even if it doesn’t make as much sense.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Wow, lots of potential wind turbine energy. But when I evaluated them for cruising boats at anchor, it took 15 kits of wind to produce meaningful power. If it gets to 15 it’s while I am camping, I am leaving.

David
Old 04-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #25

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Regarding residential fridge in an RV...
I see many 40’ DPs running a Honda 2000 7am-10pm while dry camping.
It’s just much easier and quieter for a big-guy.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
thanks all the solar has been working great and used 180w and Kurt changed to 20 amp from 10 amp and completely removed the gopro solar connection...he left the box but does nothing. he set everything up as auto under the sink near the front door. here is a battery pic not plugged in at all no gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	30874  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
thanks all the solar has been working great and used 180w and Kurt changed to 20 amp from 10 amp and completely removed the gopro solar connection...he left the box but does nothing. he set everything up as auto under the sink near the front door. here is a battery pic not plugged in at all no gene
So have you got Kurt on retainer now?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
funny he never turns people away and now his son works with him.

he fixed someones roof. amazing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	30878  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote