Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I’ve learned it’s always best to order:
Ships from Amazon
Sold by Amazon
Whenever possible so the return is effortless
I guess I was lucky with mine order. Front sway bar arrived in 5 days and the rear arrived in 4 days (3 days earlier).
By the way, I wonder how the shipping company can loose sway bar which is heavy like hell.
On the good note, I just finished today rear sway bar install. Decided to drill the hole thru the broken bolt and replace that bolt with heavier 1/2" one. I took the MH for a test drive and could tell right away how solid/stable the drive is and steering has become stiffer but nice stiffer. It is like driving big SUV. And of course...one handed driving. Now, I need to adjust the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer since it is pulling MH to the right. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210303_141303.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	28895Click image for larger version

Name:	20210303_141436.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	28896

Old 03-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #42

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
well, you did it right!
you've got a great set-up now and you'll be happy in the long run that you put the extra dollars into it.
plus, since you did it all yourself, you know how it works.

BTW, I posted on another thread that one of my Front sway end link bolts loosened a bit an started to clunk. I found out because I knew how it works, and then re-tightened it. All good now.

So I suggest that a re-tightening may be in order once you put some miles on the new suspension.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #43

THOR #14093
I have not done any adjustment to the stabilizer yet. That is a priority right know. Next week I am going on a trip to Death Valley (about 500 miles drive) and that is going to be a real test for the new suspension. I will be taking set of wrenches with me to re-tight any loose bolts. Will keep you posted. Thank you again for all your help and advice.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #44

State: New York
THOR #3477
Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the front and rear Sumo springs that they installed? I am finding several different part numbers and the factory gave me a number for a class C motorhome. Thanks
Old 03-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #45

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering724 View Post
Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the front and rear Sumo springs that they installed? I am finding several different part numbers and the factory gave me a number for a class C motorhome. Thanks

I'm thinking it depends if you have an E-350 or E-450 chassis. The 24.1 has used both.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:12 PM   #46

THOR #13362
Everything I’ve seen has 350 & 450 interchangeable.

For the fronts there’s only one option. And if I was doing just one suspension mod, SUMOs for the front are the least expensive and easiest to DIY install.

SSF-106-47 $185 on Amazon

The rears list a couple of options which have both evolved since I installed mine.
This is the least expensive and easiest to install

SST-130-47 $312 on Amazon

Here are photos of front and rear:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	228AF8CE-38CD-47B6-91D3-99F5DCBEC6BD.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	29288   Click image for larger version

Name:	6CDF1EEF-5BDF-4AF9-9F56-5EE4FB3B42D6.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	29289  

Old 03-23-2021, 12:21 AM   #47

THOR #3477
I have done all the other mods listed in this post. The sumos are the last thing to install. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:14 AM   #48

State: Alabama
THOR #22656
I installed Bilstein front shocks too, not as big of a change as the other mods but an incremental improvement.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:33 AM   #49

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
I have not done any adjustment to the stabilizer yet. That is a priority right know. Next week I am going on a trip to Death Valley (about 500 miles drive) and that is going to be a real test for the new suspension. I will be taking set of wrenches with me to re-tight any loose bolts. Will keep you posted. Thank you again for all your help and advice.
After 3 stabilizer adjustment attempts I was satisfied with the results.
Now, I just got back from my Death Valley/Las Vegas trip. Total of 1500 miles. You were right, installing the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and both front and rear Hellwig sway bars was not only the best improvement I have ever done but also could not to be more timely done. Leaving N.California for super windy deserts and mountains was a real good way of testing newly installed equipment. I have never expected to drive through huge sand storms in Death Valley or fight gusty winds throughout Nevada and California hills. I know for a fact that without these suspension improvements I would not be able to enjoy the ride and feel safe at the same time. That was a driving test from hell. Driving now is like driving big SUV. Easy, pleasant and in many instances, one handed. In extreme conditions we have experienced you just feel safe and although you still have to fight incredible forces of wind and pay extra attention, you just wonder how this would be different without Safe-T-Plus and Hellwig bars. I can tell you that I would be scared, panicky, driving much slower, using the brakes a lot,, road dancing, making more stops and of course squeezing/hugging the steering wheel all the time. Yesterday, I drove home 500 miles in gusty winds and passing by semi trucks without any issues. RVing was always fun but now driving is a pleasure too. This was said before, that equipment should be standard on all motorhomes.
Tomorrow, I need to check all nuts and bolts to see if they have to be tighten up.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:02 PM   #50

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
After 3 stabilizer adjustment attempts I was satisfied with the results.
Now, I just got back from my Death Valley/Las Vegas trip. Total of 1500 miles. You were right, installing the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and both front and rear Hellwig sway bars was not only the best improvement I have ever done but also could not to be more timely done. Leaving N.California for super windy deserts and mountains was a real good way of testing newly installed equipment. I have never expected to drive through huge sand storms in Death Valley or fight gusty winds throughout Nevada and California hills. I know for a fact that without these suspension improvements I would not be able to enjoy the ride and feel safe at the same time. That was a driving test from hell. Driving now is like driving big SUV. Easy, pleasant and in many instances, one handed. In extreme conditions we have experienced you just feel safe and although you still have to fight incredible forces of wind and pay extra attention, you just wonder how this would be different without Safe-T-Plus and Hellwig bars. I can tell you that I would be scared, panicky, driving much slower, using the brakes a lot,, road dancing, making more stops and of course squeezing/hugging the steering wheel all the time. Yesterday, I drove home 500 miles in gusty winds and passing by semi trucks without any issues. RVing was always fun but now driving is a pleasure too. This was said before, that equipment should be standard on all motorhomes.
Tomorrow, I need to check all nuts and bolts to see if they have to be tighten up.
yup- same thoughts i had, which is why i made this post. Glad your driving is safer and more enjoable! I went through a monster wind storm in Eastern Oregon in December and without all these modifications i would have quit driving and waited it out. It amazes me the garbage suspension that comes from Thor, really dissapointing as i would have paid more for these safety improvements.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:09 AM   #51

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
Hello all,

Love this thread and want to improve the suspension / side-to-side stability on my 2021 Axis 25.6 - I think that the E series chassis was changed in 2021, so not sure if the model numbers listed her apply?

What is the best way to know what parts to order? Is Amazon the best place? Also, I am pretty handy, but have never done suspension mods - is this something I want to take on myself, or have someplace install? RV place or Tire shop or??

Sorry, lots of questions...

Vic
Old 04-05-2021, 03:25 AM   #52

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by vealessi View Post
Hello all,

Love this thread and want to improve the suspension / side-to-side stability on my 2021 Axis 25.6 - I think that the E series chassis was changed in 2021, so not sure if the model numbers listed her apply?

What is the best way to know what parts to order? Is Amazon the best place? Also, I am pretty handy, but have never done suspension mods - is this something I want to take on myself, or have someplace install? RV place or Tire shop or??

Sorry, lots of questions...

Vic
#46 above is the simplest DIY install

Next are Anti-Sway Bars or the Steering Stabilizer. More $$$$ but can be done via DIY if you have a good set of mechanic's tools.

Finally some do a Rear Track Bar and/or new high performance shocks.

I was able to source all materials thru Amazon, but others have gone thru on-line RV & suspension sites.

All info is within the Forum by doing a hard-target SEARCH.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #53

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
#46 above is the simplest DIY install

Next are Anti-Sway Bars or the Steering Stabilizer. More $$$$ but can be done via DIY if you have a good set of mechanic's tools.

Finally some do a Rear Track Bar and/or new high performance shocks.

I was able to source all materials thru Amazon, but others have gone thru on-line RV & suspension sites.

All info is within the Forum by doing a hard-target SEARCH.
There is a lot of very helpful information on this and other forums about suspension modifications. Before I have decided to upgrade our Axis I studied the subject for quite some time just to make sure I can handle the job safely and without any damage done to the coach. I started reading forum posts, watched You Tube videos and visited manufacturers websites which are full of usefull information. Mine first and the easiest upgrade were Sumo's Springs. That allowed me to familiarize myself better with the chasis and how thing work. Billstein shocks were next and Hellwig sway bars together with Safe T Plus stabilizer were the latest modification. You do not need any specialized tools just the basic one. Trust me, if I could do all of that, you certainly can as well. Only Billstein shocks were purchased from online suspension store. The rest of the parts were purchased on Amazon. Good luck with your modifications and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #54

THOR #3477
Upgrades to my 2015 Axis 24.1 E350 chassis. 4/14/21

Two years ago I installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and Bilstien shocks. They made some improvement but the coach was not where I wanted it to drive. We have 37000 miles on this coach and none in 2020.

With a lot of internet searches, phone calls and input from this forum, I replaced both sway bars and added front and rear Sumosprings. Finding the correct parts numbers was certainly a challenge. Some of the parts numbers for a class C E350 chassis were different part numbers than the parts that fit on this E350 chassis. Probably someone will differ with that but that's what I found.

Here is what I installed.
Hellwig front sway bar HEL-7718 (bought at Summit Racing)
Hellwig rear sway bar HEL-7182
Moog K750322 front stabilizer bar link kit (local Advanced Auto)
Moog K80015 rear stabilizer bar link kit (local Advanced Auto)
Sumosprings front SSF-106-47 (bought at SDTruckSprings.com)
Sumosprings rear SSR-130-47

I did not want to give my money to Amazon, really did not spend any more money elsewhere and had everything in hand in 5 days.

I am also a mechanic and the job is fairly easy, but I had someone else do it. I did not feel I had a safe way to lift the couch to work under it.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART:
What a difference these upgrades made. Had a 400 mile trip and it's the difference between night and day and probably more. Well with the cost and effort. Having said that, my Axis will never, ever handle like my corvette!
Old 04-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #55

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering724 View Post
Upgrades to my 2015 Axis 24.1 E350 chassis. 4/14/21

Two years ago I installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and Bilstien shocks. They made some improvement but the coach was not where I wanted it to drive. We have 37000 miles on this coach and none in 2020.

With a lot of internet searches, phone calls and input from this forum, I replaced both sway bars and added front and rear Sumosprings. Finding the correct parts numbers was certainly a challenge. Some of the parts numbers for a class C E350 chassis were different part numbers than the parts that fit on this E350 chassis. Probably someone will differ with that but that's what I found.

Here is what I installed.
Hellwig front sway bar HEL-7718 (bought at Summit Racing)
Hellwig rear sway bar HEL-7182
Moog K750322 front stabilizer bar link kit (local Advanced Auto)
Moog K80015 rear stabilizer bar link kit (local Advanced Auto)
Sumosprings front SSF-106-47 (bought at SDTruckSprings.com)
Sumosprings rear SSR-130-47

I did not want to give my money to Amazon, really did not spend any more money elsewhere and had everything in hand in 5 days.

I am also a mechanic and the job is fairly easy, but I had someone else do it. I did not feel I had a safe way to lift the couch to work under it.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART:
What a difference these upgrades made. Had a 400 mile trip and it's the difference between night and day and probably more. Well with the cost and effort. Having said that, my Axis will never, ever handle like my corvette!
Well, after my trip to Death Valley I decided to check all hardware I have installed (front & rear Hellwig Sway Bars and Safe-T-Plus stabilizer). The rear was almost perfect. The only thing I had to do was to tighten up the bolts on the end links. Both rear U-Plate bolts were solid tight. The front bar on the passenger side was fine as well but the driver side was a disaster. The large and small U-Plates were only held by 14mm bolt and end link. The other 10mm bolt was completely out of the threaded hole, held by the other, twisted U-plates. I could not believe my own eyes. This was 1500 mile trip and I am not sure when the bolts got loose but going back, I do remember hearing some strange metal to metal sound while in Las Vegas. I should have check the front suspension then. Anyway, I am glad I made it home safely. I called Hellwig last Monday morning and on Tuesday 2 sets of new small & large U-Plates were delivered to my house...free of charge. Amazing customer and technical support. So, the thread in the frame was damaged on that side. I had to drill new, larger hole and rethreaded for 12mm bolt. In order to reinstall the U-Plates I had to remove one bolt on the end link, Safe-T-Plus as well as loosen up the stabilizer bar. The install went smooth. The only extra thing I had to do was to drill larger holes on both U-Plates and Safety-T-Plus bracket. Everything is tighten up and ready to be tested and adjusted. What an experience that was? Here are few pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210410_130752.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	29839Click image for larger version

Name:	20210410_142336.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	29840Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_160635.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	29841Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_162651.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	29842Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_163130.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	29843Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_182831.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	29844Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_182838.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	29845
Old 04-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #56

THOR #13362
All I can say is WOW!
Glad you’re ok and that you found the problem.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:09 AM   #57

THOR #22407
Hi everyone,

First, I just want to say that this thread is SUPER helpful. I have a 2021 Thor Axis 25.6 (built on the E450 chassis) and I hate the ride - bumpy, sway, no clearance. There's a lot of info here, and not sure how model years and ford E350 vs E450 might affect things, so I wanted to ask some questions:

1. Sumo springs come in 3 colors: blue/black/yellow - looks like that goes from light duty to heavy, so guessing I want yellow? also rears have 2 model numbers: SSR-107-54 and SSR-130-54. I read somewhere that 130 replaced 107, but also somebody said the 130's don't fit?

2. was going to go with Bilstein shocks, but I see comments on Air Lift 1000's, which I couldn't find. Is one better than the other?

3. Bilstein or Safe-T-Plus steering damper? big cost difference.

4. Hellwig sway bars show models 7718 and 7008 for the front. I think the 7718 fit newer 2021 models?

5. How's the install on this stuff? I'm fairly handy, and have a floor jack/stands. Is it as easy as unbolting the old parts and bolting on the new?

6. Is there anything that improves clearance?

Here's the Amazon purchase list I have so far - will probably call manufacturers and just verify, but please let me know if you see anything glaringly wrong:

springs
rear Sumo SSR-107-54 $255 yellow
rear Sumo SSR-130-54 $337 yellow [doesn't fit?]
front Sumo SSF-106-40 $179 blue or $189 black
BLACK or YELLOW? looks like Blue/Black/Yellow from light to heavy duty

shocks
front Bilstein 33-187563 B6 $180.37
rear Bilstein 33-176840 B6 $207.76
air lift 1000's? couldn't find for E450

steering damper
Bilstein 24-174534 B8 5100 $97.49
Safe-T-Plus 31-140 (silver) $376 mounting kit (E-353K14) $67

sway bars
front Hellwig 7718 $304.50 (vs 7008 for older vehicles?)
rear Hellwig 7180 $382

Any feedback appreciated!
Old 07-28-2021, 12:26 AM   #58

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Please understand that once you fire the parts cannon you have no choice but to praise the results.
About 95%(a guess) of RV owners have done little to no suspension mods.
Rethink throwing everything listed at the suspension. You might wind up with someomething which rides like a lumber wagon. And the guy who did it before you isn't going to say how much it sucks...he's VERY married to his cannon shot.
Try one mod, assess, try another if you still can't handle it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #59

THOR #22407
Fair comment. And I apologize, I didn't see the last page of the thread before posting - answered most of my questions.

I figured maybe there was some labor savings by doing a couple mods at the same time, but I think you're right, would be good to step it and evaluate each improvement, and if another is needed.

I'm going to start with the Sumo springs.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #60

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by vealessi View Post
Fair comment. And I apologize, I didn't see the last page of the thread before posting - answered most of my questions.

I figured maybe there was some labor savings by doing a couple mods at the same time, but I think you're right, would be good to step it and evaluate each improvement, and if another is needed.

I'm going to start with the Sumo springs.
IMHO…
- SUMOs are easiest install. Just jack-up frame and crawl under, screw in place. The biggest improvement IMHO is…
If you don’t have hydraulic levelers to keep your rig stable while parked, then SUMOs are the best way to keep rig sturdy/stable when parked. So it does limit rocking, but Helwig sways already remedy most of that

- Helwig sway bars really help the side-to-side sway. Prob the best single mod you can make on your E series chassis. You’ll see when you remove the OEM sway bars, they are way way undersized.
Install: drive rig onto blocks so you can crawl underneath. You don’t jack-up the rig as they must be installed while suspension in normal position. You do need big-boy tools/sockets. Also you should purchase the Moog end links as the OEM end links will bend/break from the new added torque when rocking side-to-side

- Airlift 1000 front bags are not necessary but as I stated in previous posts (on another thread?) they do increase front clearance. So I like what I was able to achieve.
At 45-50#, it raises front end so that SUMOs don’t touch crossbar. So about an 1” increase.
I purchased as an open-box on Amazon so paid under $70. I did not add a remote pump inside cab, so I manually inflate by reaching hose in front hood.
Install: very difficult, jack up high, remove wheel, compress spring with spring compressor, place bag inside spring, route hose to front
One more thing on Airlift…I’ve had two bags leak in 18-24 months, but they lifetime warrant. So I called Airlift and they sent bag right out. But I had to re-install

- Bilstein Shocks, on the front only, is my most recent mod. Think I paid $190 on Amazon.
Install: jack up, remove wheel, then just a couple of bolts

My next mod will be new tires. That is, my 2016 chassis now has OEM Micheline LT tires over 5yrs old.
Other threads have discussed E series tire replacement in detail. Best to purchase C or Commercial grade tire.
So…225 75 16C
These C tires have a 3200# weight rating vs LT at 2600#