Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #24794
Added 2nd radio to dash

The Axxera radio is in a bad spot for the driver to see and didn't have Android Auto. I found this Dual radio with a 10" screen. After some planning, I managed to cut it in a much better place. It has Android Auto and works with the cameras. I'm going to cover the black plastic with either vinyl or paint it to match.
In the first picture, the Ducts are moved out of the way but did go back into their original positions.
I kept the Axxera in place. I'm going to run a video wire from the Axxera to the TV over the door as soon as I can figure out how to get it there. (If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know) Then I can use the Axxera for DVDs to play on the TV. I left the rear speakers hooked up the Axxera so the DVD sound will play over the couch and only hooked up the Front speakers to the new radio.

Next project is power driver seat. It's already ordered and I just need to get a power wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1637156448185.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	34843   Click image for larger version

Name:	1637156447924.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	34844  

Name:	1637156449120.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	34845   Click image for larger version

Name:	1637156449423.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	34846  

Old 11-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Wow - most people just mount a 10" monitor on the dash for the cameras and replace the radio with one to their liking, but your way works as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You added a second radio so you can watch DVD movies on the axxera?
This installation can only have been practical if you're planning on watching dvd while driving.
Or, did you do this solely so you have a dvd player for the tv?
Dvd players are so inexpensive that I'm missing the logic.
I'm all about mods and will do your mod once I understand.

How will your passenger reach/adjust that radio?

Post 78 in my signature thread was my solution(along with the above written 10" monitors/android tablets stashed around,).

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #4

THOR #24794
I'm typing really slow.... The Axxera doesn't have Android Auto or Nav. Even if it did, it's not in a great place for the driver to see. I could've just replaced the Axxera with this one but again, the screen isn't in the best place for the driver. I did look at the other mods and liked them. If I went the tablet route, I still would've put the screen in this position anyway, my opinion, it's better. I looked into the Pioneer modular but it was more than twice the price, only an 8" screen and back-ordered everywhere. I think the driver seeing the Nav is way more important than the Passenger adjusting the radio, can't even believe that's a concern. Now the passenger will have to be in charge of DVDs. I didn't add a radio to watch DVDs? Do you actually watch DVDs on the Axxera? Really? It was already there and now it plays DVDs on the TV which, to me, is more practical. I have several nice backup camera monitors and might put one in for a dedicated, always-on view but this radio responds really quickly to the cameras, much faster than the Axxera. This was actually really easy to do and works great for me. I think my next mod will now be a device to un-bunch panties, just saying.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #5

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubugarrity View Post
I'm typing really slow... I think my next mod will now be a device to un-bunch panties, just saying.

I don't think you need to unbunch your panties.
I think you should just know we're trying to understand your mod.

Some people do not understand my:
Big, metal, holds a half ton, bin mod
Or
The wireless remote for the bathroom fan.
But I'm ok with that. I see these mods as self-explanatory. It seems they are not.
You also see your mod as self-explanatory. It seems it is not.

Few will understand the length you've gone to instead of adding a mobile tablet and a mobile dvd player(DVD being placed near the tv so you can use one remote for tv and dvd together)
As I said:
I'll do your mod when I understand it.

https://www.amazon.com/Players-Headp...5-56d755c862ba

(A bluetooth dongle will negate the need to run a cable to your tv.)

Old 11-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #6

THOR #24794
ahh, now I'm feeling some love. Forget about the Axxera, passenger, cameras DVDs. I wanted Android auto and Waze on a screen as large as I could get in a place I could easily see it. After reading every post on here and other sites, I was going with the tablet option. I'd still have to mount it in the same location. I found this radio locally at a good price and bought it knowing it could be returned. I held the screen up in front of the Axxera and Still had a hard time seeing it. I'm short and keep the seat all the way forward so it's hard to see the Axxera screen. I then wondered about putting it where I did. I checked and found absolutely nothing in the dash behind that spot. So I did it. There was no hassle at all. I had to cut thin plastic. Very simple and easy. Took minutes. It's absolutely great where it is. As I hooked up the speakers I had the idea to use the Axxera for the DVD player. I ran an RCA cable from the back of it to the TV. The sound from the speakers over the couch sounded much better than the TV. The DVD player currently being used is in the cabinet so it is more convenient to use the Axxera. Power seat base will be here Friday. Hope I don't screw that up.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:40 PM   #7

THOR #13932
For those who want a power base, what did you buy?

Old 11-17-2021, 11:11 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I like your mod! I appreciate the effort you took to DO IT RIGHT!

Seems like 2018 was the magic year where automobile, truck and some RV manufacturers figured out what YOU have... while driving, it's dangerous to look halfway down the dash to see a screen. About the only change between the wife's 2018 RAV4 was the 2019s have the "floating" screen up high. Now, nearly EVERY car and truck has the radio/navigation mounted up where it's actually useful.
Old 11-18-2021, 01:14 AM   #9

THOR #24794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
For those who want a power base, what did you buy?
Brad and Hall 5.5" universal pedistal and 6-way universal power unit. I'll post pix of the install hopefully this weekend. Just doing driver seat for now.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #10

THOR #24794
Guess what exact radio is being used in the 2022 models. Yup. Too bad they put it in the wrong place😂
Old 11-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I like your mod! I appreciate the effort you took to DO IT RIGHT!

Seems like 2018 was the magic year where automobile, truck and some RV manufacturers figured out what YOU have... while driving, it's dangerous to look halfway down the dash to see a screen. About the only change between the wife's 2018 RAV4 was the 2019s have the "floating" screen up high. Now, nearly EVERY car and truck has the radio/navigation mounted up where it's actually useful.
The Garmin gps on the right dash top and the camera monitor goes on the left dash top. It is much easier for me to turn my head right or left rather than to look up or down for items not in my field of view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020_0807_091052AA.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	34970  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote