Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems vs. Crossfire

Hi everybody, getting our Vegas ready to go I have been considering a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). While talking to truck tire dealers I discovered that some actually think that the Crossfire pressure equalization system should be included because it extends dually tire life by as much as 20% and signals over and under pressure with a color bar on its body.

So here's my question has anyone used Crossfire and what do you think? Has anyone used crossfire in combination with a TPMS like the TST 507 or Tire Safeguard, etc.?

Of the TPMS systems what does your experience tell is the best, is necessary or doesn't matter?

Thanks as always for your help!

Old 01-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I've use Crossfire on commercial trucks and love the system...if a tire blows out it stops the equalization and keeps the other tire inflated. It operates within 5 PSI of what you set it to. Simple to check tires and keep equal pressure in them. What it doesn't do is give you a readout in the cab of pressure. If you check tires daily and do a walk around at each stop, they work great. Not sure how you can use it in conjunction with TPMS or if you even can. With Crossfire, if you have a flat or a tire going down, you wouldn't know it unless you felt it in the steering or the ride characteristics while underway. Equalization is the best medicine for longer tire life...even if they are a little low.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #13602
I started with psi systems. And now I’ve got crossfires and never looked back
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They sound interesting: do you have a link o their website?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:29 PM   #5

THOR #10907
I've got both a tire pressure monitor and the crossfires on my Vegas. 8 sensors, 4 on the rv and 4 on the boat trailer.

The crossfires work fine, I'm a fan. And monitoring 4 tires instead of 6 on the coach is just a little simpler. lol.

That being said, I still try to tell people CONSTANTLY (sorry to yell!) that I'd MUCH rather spend the money on tires instead of tire monitor systems. Those Chinese garbage undersized tires on these Axis/Vegas/Class C coaches are a joke. I spent money on wheels and tires before I spent it on the crossfire or tire monitor system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190129_151851.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	15441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190129_151837.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	15442  

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:10 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I put Dually valves on my coach and a Tire Minder TPMS system. It is excellent if a bit spendy upfront. I consider it essential kit and have found it to be completely reliable. I’d do the TPMS for sure.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:24 AM   #7

THOR #14024
Crossfire Link

Here is the web link Crossfire Components

Gmthech you are how I initially found them, I was trying to figure out what the tubes were in your rear wheels, showed them to tire guy, he laughed and told me all about it.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:34 AM   #8

THOR #14024
About tires, TPMS and wheels

While looking at TPMS systems and tires I realized that I am replacing the standard tires with a Michelin 235/85/E 16 120/116 XPS commercial duty steel casing, retreadable, radial tire that is guaranteed 60,000 tread guarantee. The std. Tires are 115/112 load capable...

Next, gmtech how do your back tires fit. The std hubs look like the new dual tires will rub without a rim change?

Last. When using Crossfire how do you so the TPMS? flow through sensors? Inside the tire sensors?
Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 AM   #9

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post
While looking at TPMS systems and tires I realized that I am replacing the standard tires with a Michelin 235/85/E 16 120/116 XPS commercial duty steel casing, retreadable, radial tire that is guaranteed 60,000 tread guarantee. The std. Tires are 115/112 load capable...

Next, gmtech how do your back tires fit. The std hubs look like the new dual tires will rub without a rim change?

Last. When using Crossfire how do you so the TPMS? flow through sensors? Inside the tire sensors?
Back tires fit fine with no modifications at all. There's plenty of clearance between the duals also. (With my Alcoa's that is, I think on the stock rims it would also still be fine.)

The sensors I use can be seen in the pic above. I don't use flow through, I use locking (without the lock parts).

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #10

THOR #11130
His Vegas will do "wheelies". If my memory serves me correctly...didn't you remove all the stickers also?
Old 01-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
First of all, I have always used a TPMS (TST brand) on my RVs from the beginning and would not travel without one.

I looked into crossfire products after seeing them on some big rigs and talking to the drivers. They probably do increase tire life by 20%. The problem with that for RVers is that even as a full timer I will probably have around 60,000 miles on my tires when they are 5 or 6 years old, which would be the point I would be replacing them anyway.

I think for commercial applications where they may put 80,000 to 100,000 miles on a set of tires in 8 or 9 months then squeezing an extra 20% out would be worth it. To me spending the money to put the system on an RV would be a waste of money.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #12

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
First of all, I have always used a TPMS (TST brand) on my RVs from the beginning and would not travel without one.

I looked into crossfire products after seeing them on some big rigs and talking to the drivers. They probably do increase tire life by 20%. The problem with that for RVers is that even as a full timer I will probably have around 60,000 miles on my tires when they are 5 or 6 years old, which would be the point I would be replacing them anyway.

I think for commercial applications where they may put 80,000 to 100,000 miles on a set of tires in 8 or 9 months then squeezing an extra 20% out would be worth it. To me spending the money to put the system on an RV would be a waste of money.

I feel the equalization is more important for consistent tire temperatures than extending tire life. If one tire is low, excess pressure is placed on the other and heat causes failure. Lots of directions to go on anything but perfectly inflated tires, but equal pressure/equal temperature is the key. Even wear across both is the second benefit. RV tires will dry rot before you need to replace them based on tire wear. Big Rigs drive over 100,000 miles per year so they get multiple benefits from this. Anything is better than nothing.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #13

THOR #14024
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I feel the equalization is more important for consistent tire temperatures than extending tire life. If one tire is low, excess pressure is placed on the other and heat causes failure. Lots of directions to go on anything but perfectly inflated tires, but equal pressure/equal temperature is the key. Even wear across both is the second benefit. RV tires will dry rot before you need to replace them based on tire wear. Big Rigs drive over 100,000 miles per year so they get multiple benefits from this. Anything is better than nothing.
I agree, the ability to put as much tire footprint on the ground with equal loading seems important to stability. The 20% is nice with the larger tires I am using since they cost 325+ a piece.

Hey gmtech can you do wheelies? jealous...
Old 02-02-2019, 03:32 AM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I ordered crossfire a couple years ago for my rig. I love the idea of them, and was planning to use it along with a TPTMS...and two fewer sensors required, a double win!

Anyway, I struggled and found no decent way to mount the things on my 16 inch wheels with the wheel simulators in place....so I returned it sadly.

Some time later I ended up removing the simulators for good so that I can ditch the extensions. Now you have me thinking, maybe I should order a set now. I could install them no problem now.

one more thing...I liked crossfire better than the similar cat's eye brand. As far as I recall, cat's eye only indicates under pressure...not over.... or maybe it's the other way around.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #15

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #6975
I have a 2018 Vegas 24.1 I’ve been using the crossfire for about two years and you are right you cannot use them with the simulators so I just took them off run just the wheels works great who stands around looking at wheels anyway. The great thing about having equal pressure in both tires as they have equal heat which is a great safety factor .
Old 02-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Alberta
THOR #3333
I spoke with Jeff at Dual Dynamics and he was very helpful. if you want to use the crossfire and tpms order CF100-STV-2 this will monitor both tires in the dual
Old 02-13-2019, 02:24 AM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Pete View Post
I spoke with Jeff at Dual Dynamics and he was very helpful. if you want to use the crossfire and tpms order CF100-STV-2 this will monitor both tires in the dual
Why not just use the standard and monitor it as one pressure? Fewer transmitters to worry with...
Old 02-13-2019, 02:27 AM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #6975
That is the way that I do it and it works just fine
Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Alberta
THOR #3333
my understanding is that the dual valve has t fittings on either side of the valve. Maybe the valve prevents you from getting an accurate ready for the TPMS. but just having one is better than none imho.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #20

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Pete View Post
my understanding is that the dual valve has t fittings on either side of the valve. Maybe the valve prevents you from getting an accurate ready for the TPMS. but just having one is better than none imho.

Greasy...I can't wait to see your "Member ID" Sticker!!! Have you ordered them yet?

Tags
crossfire, ire, pressure, tpms