Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
After the first trip in our Thor Hurricane, I had my wife call Equalizer in Elkhart and order some jacks for our rig. The problem in installing the system was that the jack mounts needed to be welded to the frame and the rear ones were right next to the gas tank on a F53 chassis. None of my welder friends wanted to weld next to the gas tank so I contacted a professional welder in our area and he had no problem with it. He said to go to Harbor freight and buy a $18 hand grinder and chamfer the jack brackets, then use Harbor freight "C" clamps to clamp them were I wanted them, and he would weld them in place.

After the mounts were welded in place, the rest of the install was just bolting the jacks in place, running the hydraulic lines, mounting the pump and so forth. It was not all that hard. The end result is fantastic.

I use the auto level mode and it works great 100% of the time.
Looks very professional, good job

Old 07-06-2021, 12:53 AM   #82
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...html#post50165

I didn't care so much about auto leveling but definitley wanted push-button hydraulics ... and man do I still LOVE them. I did the install myself which allowed me to do it both exactly the way I wanted AND save money and hassle of trying to find someone else to do it.

It's been almost 5 years and I have had 0 problems with the system. Pull into a spot, put my 4 sided leveler on the floor of the rv, push the buttons until it's level and get on with the fun. Pack up is even faster since a single button can lift all 4 jacks automatically. My leveling is usually done in less than a minute.

Sometimes I need to put plastic blocks under the jacks in really uneven places. The only thing to watch out for is not to tweak the frame too much but on the short 24.1, it hasn't been a problem really.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:05 AM   #83

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Yes, it looks great. We got rid of the Jayco after a year because leveling it with blocks, 2x12s was a real pain. We thought we should have bought the grayhawk because it came with leveling for 20,000 more. The leveling to us was the most important, one button or manual makes it so easy, you could make a lot of money doing this for people and you do a better job than many instalation companies