Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
So, here is another question, do any of the after-market systems have sensors integrated into the valve stems like the OEM systems in cars and light trucks? The biggest issue with the sensors on after-market systems appears to be problems with leakage where the sensor screws onto the valve stem. Having the sensor integrated into the valve stem would eliminate this issue. Yes, I understand it would cost more if only because it would be necessary to dismount the tire in order to install.
The TST 507 system can use internal sensors. Sensors are about $55 each for external (puck or flow-through) and $100 for internal sensors. Of course internal sensors give accurate tire internal temperatures and not ambient like the pucks. In 7 years of using 8 flow through (2 on the dolly) and 2 pucks (used on the towed) with my TST507, I have never had a problem. The batteries last 2-3 years depending on the miles driven. <https://tsttruck.com/shop.html>

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #22

Model: Ace 30.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #15939
I see no one has mentioned Guta as a TPS system. We've been very satisfied with it. We have an Ace 30.1 towing an Equinox and the system seems to handle the MH and toad just fine.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:19 PM   #23

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
I have the TST 507 and I’m very happy with it. While on a trip this summer I had a high tire temperature alarm go off. It said the outside real dual was 207 degrees, I knew that couldn’t be right so I pulled over and checked the tire and it was cool as could be. When we stopped for the night I sent an e mail to TST, it literally was less then 1 minute after I hit send my phone rang. It was TST and he walked me through reprogramming the sensor. It fixed it and haven’t had a problem since. Can’t beat that kind of customer service, he even apologized for any inconvenience it caused.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:57 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
I have this one below:
https://www.innotechrv.com/InnotechR...4_8615288.aspx
and it works well but its not user friendly at all. Any time i need to do something on it i have to get out the various manuals to figure it out. It does work well though. The batteries in it dont last very long though, maybe 9 months at most but they are easy and cheap to change. With the range extender it works well with the tires on my trailer, which is about 35ft away from the reciever in my cab.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:17 PM   #25

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
TPMS shows all?

Of all the TPMS systems mentioned in this thread only Tire Minder and GUTA have systems that will at least show all 6 or 8 tire pressures on a motor home at once. Are there any other systems that display all the TP readings at once?

In my view I would be less likely to pick up small changes that might be enough to trigger a warning but still indicate a problem with a system that cycles through each wheel. With all tires displayed at once it would be much easier to see a problem before it become critical. Also, systems that display TP one tire at a time might take too much attention from the primary task of driving the vehicle while you are waiting for each wheel's TP to display.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:05 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Of all the TPMS systems mentioned in this thread only Tire Minder and GUTA have systems that will at least show all 6 or 8 tire pressures on a motor home at once. Are there any other systems that display all the TP readings at once?

In my view I would be less likely to pick up small changes that might be enough to trigger a warning but still indicate a problem with a system that cycles through each wheel. With all tires displayed at once it would be much easier to see a problem before it become critical. Also, systems that display TP one tire at a time might take too much attention from the primary task of driving the vehicle while you are waiting for each wheel's TP to display.
I have a B-Qtech solar powered TPMS that monitors 6 tires at once, you have to page switch to see temps.. It's very small, and the sensors tend to read 2 psi low (compared to multiple shop gauges which all agree). As an early warning device it seems to do the job good enough for me.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:47 AM   #27

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

My old Tymate shows 4 tires and a few seconds later switches to the second screen and back again. Some of these other units only updated every 6 seconds, so even if it shows all tires, how often does it update?
Old 12-01-2022, 12:07 PM   #28

THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
My old Tymate shows 4 tires and a few seconds later switches to the second screen and back again. Some of these other units only updated every 6 seconds, so even if it shows all tires, how often does it update?
And who sits there watching it? I rely primarily on alarms, I'll check before heading out...after that pretty much ignore the display.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
And who sits there watching it? I rely primarily on alarms, I'll check before heading out...after that pretty much ignore the display.
I'll scroll through the tires maybe every hour or two

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:46 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I watch my TPMS scroll through the pressures and temperatures when I start the engine in the morning and after every stop. Other than that, I rely on the alarms I set. I never look at the tire pressures when moving. I learned long ago analog or tape gauges can be recognized instantly in a scan, but digital number can not. For a digital number display, our eye must stop, focus and the brain interpret the number as to relevance. At 500 foot traveling 700 ft/sec, you lean to depend on the master alarm light and tone to clue you to look at the gauges. Same applies in the coach. While my speed is only 88 ft/sec, other objects on the road with me may be closing at an even higher speed.
Just my process and the reason, I am sure it is not applicable to everyone. There is a reason the better motor vehicles have the option of a head-up display. Plus old guys like me, need every bit of help we can get to stay safe.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #31

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
The problem with relying on the alarm, for me at least, is that I may not hear the alarm. The tiny speakers on devices like Cell Phones, GPS, and other small devices often cannot be heard over road, engine, or the semi noise passing you at full throttle doing 80MPH. Add to that my hearing aids suppress "unwanted" noise like the sounds like the above-mentioned noise in an attempt to help with speech recognition. The hearing aids do not recognize the sounds coming out of a tiny speaker as "speech".

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #32

THOR #27334
Quote:
The problem with relying on the alarm, for me at least, is that I may not hear the alarm. The tiny speakers on devices like Cell Phones, GPS, and other small devices often cannot be heard over road, engine, or the semi noise passing you at full throttle doing 80MPH. Add to that my hearing aids suppress &quot;unwanted&quot; noise like the sounds like the above-mentioned noise in an attempt to help with speech recognition. The hearing aids do not recognize the sounds coming out of a tiny speaker as &quot;speech&quot;.
I can hear my TPMS when I'm outside and the coach is closed up... every time I check a tire...'beep beep beep'. Your case is an excellent example of why there is no 'best', it depends on too many factors.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:10 PM   #33

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My tire minder system links to my phone which links to my Garmin device. Even my wife who wears hearing aids can hear the alarm. And on the Garmin it’s very visibly noticeable.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:05 PM   #34

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I only glance at it once and a while to see if if tires are around the same pressure, the alarms are set if anything goes awry
Old 12-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #35

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I like Beau388's philosophy. My mindset is I really don't care if everything is okay... I just want to be immediately alerted if something ISN'T okay. Otherwise, I'm paying 100% attention to driving, and NOT paging through device displays... or anything that takes my eyes off the road. This is why my rear-view monitor is on the rear-view mirror where I can see it without moving my head... just a simple eye movement.

I have my TPMS display unit just left of me at dash-top level. I check the numbers before departing. After that I rely on the audible alarm AND flashing display (note to hearing impaired folks). After speaking with a TireMinder rep, this is EXACTLY the intended use strategy.

Tags
toad, towed, tpms