Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2022, 11:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Which TPMS system

Since the newest thread for this question is 7 years old since the last post, I am opening a new thread for this question.

I have a 2018 Thor ACE 30.3 on a Ford F53 chassis.
Towing a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with a factory installed TPMS system,

First question, which TPMS system would work best for My motorhome?

Next question, will any of the aftermarket TPMS systems read the TPMS monitor output from the Towed vehicles OEM TPMS senders?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 12:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Since the newest thread for this question is 7 years old since the last post, I am opening a new thread for this question.

Next question, will any of the aftermarket TPMS systems read the TPMS monitor output from the Towed vehicles OEM TPMS senders?
Really? That question is asked every few months.

The compatibility question has been asked several times but current knowledge is none will read OEM TPMS sensors.

Here's one you might be interested in:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/tpms-30272.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 01:10 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
They're proprietary for a reason... $$$

P.S. Just like crappy rear-view cameras, there's a slew of cheap TPMS systems. Dropped signal between the sensors and receiver/display is common in the cheapies. Sometimes they work... kinda defeats the purpose of a tire safety warning system.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:01 AM   #4

THOR #28145
I searched for TPMS in modifications and updates which IMHO would be the best place to find anything and the only TPMS thread I was last updated in 2017.

This web site needs an active moderator to combine and organize similar thread topics. Finding current information on topics is like finding a telephone number of a business where you know the name of the business but not how the business is classified in the yellow pages. My verry earliest experience with this was trying to look up a tool rental place under "Tool Rental" unfortunately the place was only listed under "Hardwear" In fact it was a hardware store but the bulk of it's business and space allocation was for tool rental.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:07 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I searched for TPMS in modifications and updates which IMHO would be the best place to find anything and the only TPMS thread I was last updated in 2017.

This web site needs an active moderator to combine and organize similar thread topics. Finding current information on topics is like finding a telephone number of a business where you know the name of the business but not how the business is classified in the yellow pages. My verry earliest experience with this was trying to look up a tool rental place under "Tool Rental" unfortunately the place was only listed under "Hardwear" In fact it was a hardware store but the bulk of it's business and space allocation was for tool rental.
You can easily search the entire forum using the "Search" function in the brown navigation bar at the top of every page.

There are 31,777 Threads with 361,098 Posts on this Forum No unpaid moderator is going to try to reorganize that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
We use Tireminder. Links to an app on your phone. Monitors coach and trailer tires. Can take some extra fiddling with to set in hot summer months. Get about 18 months out of the sensor batteries. Overall happy with it. But it ain’t cheap.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #7

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

You asked if it would read the jeep, no but you can just screw the tpms from what ever monitor you choose to buy and it should work for the jeep and motorhome
Old 10-29-2022, 05:24 AM   #8

Model: Compass 23TW
State: Nevada
THOR #28284
Quote:

I recommend TireMinder but I do not know if it will read OEM senders.

I bought a 10 sensor system for my 1994 RoadTrek and twin axle glider trailer. It included a repeater that I wired into the trailer running lights circuit. Most of the time all of the sensors stay in communication with the easy to read display. When one drops out, I turn the running lights on and, with the repeater powered, the sensor comes back.

In my case, I only need 8 sensors for the rolling wheels so I put a sensor on the spare. This ended the irritating question of “Honey, when was the last time you checked the pressure in the spare?”

Jim
LeSharo ‘85
Soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:23 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I also use TireMinder. I found their customer service to be top notch when I called them with questions. I suggest you call them and ask about the communication with proprietary factory installed sensors. But I can guess what the answer will be...
Old 10-29-2022, 01:06 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

Your ideas of the best place to look have no bearing on this forum. Search all threads going forward. People post all over the place.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:07 PM   #11

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
We settled on Tire Minder. It is a good system and as mentioned customer service is great. Fast shipping and a real person answers the phone.
Their monitor is easy to read and that contributed to our choice.

They use their own pressure caps so probably no to factory sensors being used.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:22 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I use the Eez Tire minder system. It gives me the individual tire pressure and individual tire heat level. It was easy to install and you can add your towed vehicle to the system to keep an eye on it also. With a towed vehicle, you might have to add a booster to get the signal to the cab. No booster required for just the coach tires.

Paul
Old 11-02-2022, 09:52 PM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #15446
Tire Minder systems

I have used the Tire Minder system for the last 11 years. It has worked great on the MH and toaded vehicle. I have a booster for the toaded to insure a good signal. It has warned me a couple of times of a low tire pressure as we were traveling down the interstate. It also provides tire temperature which can be a warning. I replace the batteries and cap o-ring annually. I have checked the TPM pressure against the reading on a “good” pressure gauge and they typically agree with in a pound. I would not travel without this system.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:46 AM   #14

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Flowing:
Does anyone else have a problem with the tires needing air everyday while using the monitors? Being screwed on apparently allowed air to continuously leak. We ended up taking it off completely.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:08 AM   #15

Model: Compass 23TW
State: Nevada
THOR #28284
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMott View Post
Flowing:
Does anyone else have a problem with the tires needing air everyday while using the monitors? Being screwed on apparently allowed air to continuously leak. We ended up taking it off completely.
Not with my TireMinders. As you screw them on they lose a tiny bit of air for the few seconds it takes to get them tight. Likewise, as you take them off you lose a bit of air. Otherwise, they cause no pressure loss.

Jim
LeSharo ‘85
Soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:01 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Flowing:
Are just snugging them when tightening? Overtightening will damage the seals. I’ve used mine for 3 years and never had an issue.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #17

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Flowing:
I have a cheap set and after I filled the tires in the spring, I spray bubble check on the caps. I found one with a few bubbles so I gave it an 1/8 of inch turn and the bubbles stopped. I haven't lost any air over the season
Old 11-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #18

THOR #28145
So far everyone who has replied to this thread is using the Tire Minder system. The two systems I have found the most information about are the Tire Minder and the TST 507 systems. From what I can tell the systems are very similar. So, why has everyone who has posted to this thread chosen the Tire Minder system over the TST system?

Old 11-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #19

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Tire Minder cap size is about as small as you can get. I do not want flow through either. Prefer a cap that seals without having a built in valve.

A biggie for me is I prefer the look and layout of the TireMinder screen. To my eye and brain it is easier to understand with just a quick look.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #20

THOR #28145
So, here is another question, do any of the after-market systems have sensors integrated into the valve stems like the OEM systems in cars and light trucks? The biggest issue with the sensors on after-market systems appears to be problems with leakage where the sensor screws onto the valve stem. Having the sensor integrated into the valve stem would eliminate this issue. Yes, I understand it would cost more if only because it would be necessary to dismount the tire in order to install.

Tags
toad, towed, tpms