Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Question TPMS for toad

Looking to purchase a reliable TPMS for my Jeep Wrangler toad. Tons of them on Amazon... no doubt that many of them are the same product, just rebranded by the seller. Regardless, looking for hints/suggestions from experienced users of gotchas and the like.

A few details:
1) The Wrangler has rubber valve stems... should I switch to steel?
2) I would like to add sensors at a later date for the MH - 4 now, add 6 later.
3) Any issues connecting? Recommend repeater device?
4) Any issues with the screen/receiver on particular devices?
5) Any particular ones to steer clear of?
6) Does price equal quality/reliability?

Edumacate me please!!

Old 09-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #2

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I use the TST 507 on my RV, Tow Dolly and towed Car. The complete set comes with the repeater. Not sure of you only need for the Jeep (and if you already have a set up for the RV). I have the screw on cap. I would recommend changing the valve stem to steel for peace of mind.

https://tsttruck.com/
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
I use the TST 507 on my RV, Tow Dolly and towed Car. The complete set comes with the repeater. Not sure of you only need for the Jeep (and if you already have a set up for the RV). I have the screw on cap. I would recommend changing the valve stem to steel for peace of mind.

https://tsttruck.com/
I use the same system towing our Jeep 4 down. Have had zero issues. I use the screw on caps (not flow through) as well and the valve stems are steel.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #4

THOR #21278
Just want to add that those TPMS gives you some warning time in rapid air loss. Saved my neck during our recent trip from Vegas to Ohio. The tow dolly started beeping on my tow dolly and I saw the pressure dropping rapidly in a matter of 15-20 seconds. Gave me enough time to safely pull over on the side of the freeway.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #11607
Here's a picture of my Jeep wheel with TPMS. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210904_174241.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	33350
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:00 AM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Depending on the year of the Jeep, it may have its own TPMS and those internal sensors are often part of the valve stem. So it's not a situation of just changing the valve stem to a steel one. I used the EEZtire on a previous DP and Jeep toad. Jeep had the rubber stems and an internal TPMS. Didn't have a problem with 30K mile toading. Current Ram also has rubber stems and I'm using the RVi Tire patrol for motorhome and Ram.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:16 AM   #7

THOR #16721
It's a 2001... so no sensors. The tires/stems are relatively new. It's not that expensive for a local tire shop to swap to steel, but if the rubber ones cause no problems, I would let well enough alone.

Seems the biggest issues are with losing communication and visibility of the display. The MH is 25' bumper to bumper... so distance is not that great. But then there's electronic interference.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:31 AM   #8
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
Changing your valve stems to metal is money well spent. I use the TST 507 which came with the repeater. I put TST flow through sensors on my toad and the repeater at the back of the rig. Works great and never have lost the signal.
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:48 AM   #9

THOR #21278
I just want to ask a follow-up question on the newer generation Jeep with internal tire sensors from factory. Can those sensors be programmed or added to your existing RV TPMS system (in your case EEZtire)? Do you think it can be paired to an existing TST RV monitor? I asked because we are about to trade or mini cooper to a Jeep Willys in couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Depending on the year of the Jeep, it may have its own TPMS and those internal sensors are often part of the valve stem. So it's not a situation of just changing the valve stem to a steel one. I used the EEZtire on a previous DP and Jeep toad. Jeep had the rubber stems and an internal TPMS. Didn't have a problem with 30K mile toading. Current Ram also has rubber stems and I'm using the RVi Tire patrol for motorhome and Ram.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
I just want to ask a follow-up question on the newer generation Jeep with internal tire sensors from factory. Can those sensors be programmed or added to your existing RV TPMS system (in your case EEZtire)? Do you think it can be paired to an existing TST RV monitor? I asked because we are about to trade or mini cooper to a Jeep Willys in couple of months.
NO! They each have a specific code that the TPMS system will recognize.
As for the tire stems. I have metal on the Motorhome and rubber on my jeep and now on my Ranger with NO issues. They are short enough that you do not have to worry about centrifugal forces bending over the stem to cause any issues. Metal is of course better but I personally would not bother changing them out until you have to replace the tires.

That said, I was using the Tire Minder system and stopped working on my last trip. Just installed the TST system. Hopefully that last longer.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
It's a 2001... so no sensors. The tires/stems are relatively new. It's not that expensive for a local tire shop to swap to steel, but if the rubber ones cause no problems, I would let well enough alone.

Seems the biggest issues are with losing communication and visibility of the display. The MH is 25' bumper to bumper... so distance is not that great. But then there's electronic interference.
If a repeater is available that helps. With my 40' DP towing the Wrangler, I put the EEztire repeater in a back cabinet in the coach and did not have an issue. I ordered that system with the repeater so since I had it, I used it. I may not have needed it but it was there. With the RVi Tire Patrol the "brains" is in the command center puck which can be moved around in the coach to find best locations. RVi suggested to me about the middle of the motorhome.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #12

THOR #16721
Thanks for all the helpful responses.

After mulling it over, I decided on the TireMinder i10. Must be popular... all the 4-sensor kits are currently on backorder! The 10 sensor kits are available, but that's an additional $200+ I didn't want to spend until next season. I just want the 4 sensor kit for the toad now - then get the additional 6 sensors for the MH next spring.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful responses.

After mulling it over, I decided on the TireMinder i10. Must be popular... all the 4-sensor kits are currently on backorder! The 10 sensor kits are available, but that's an additional $200+ I didn't want to spend until next season. I just want the 4 sensor kit for the toad now - then get the additional 6 sensors for the MH next spring.
Bite the bullet and get the full kit. You need sensors on the MH - visually and drive feel may not tell you about a low inside dually when you pick up a nail. My TPMS did on a trip this spring.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #14

THOR #16721
Yeah... I know. We're getting ready for a "weekender" about an hour away. I just finished checking all tires with my trusty digital gauge - which involves popping the rear wheel covers off. I leave the short U shaped valve extensions for the outer tires on, but I'm not comfortable leaving the (approx. 6") inner tire extensions on - paranoid balance issues. So I just thread one on... air up, then remove it. PIA which takes about 1/2 hour. At least the fronts are easy.

It WOULD be nice to have a reference pressure from those sensors...
Old 09-08-2021, 02:12 AM   #15

THOR #16721
Quote:
Yeah... I know. We're getting ready for a "weekender" about an hour away. I just finished checking all tires with my trusty digital gauge - which involves popping the rear wheel covers off. I leave the short U shaped valve extensions for the outer tires on, but I'm not comfortable leaving the (approx. 6") inner tire extensions on - paranoid balance issues. So I just thread one on... air up, then remove it. PIA which takes about 1/2 hour. At least the fronts are easy.

It WOULD be nice to have a reference pressure from those sensors...
Well... I think I chipped a tooth! I indeed did bite the bullet and just ordered the TireMinder i10 with 10 sensors. Done deal, and thanks for the "push" into the pool.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:19 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #29616
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
NO! They each have a specific code that the TPMS system will recognize.
As for the tire stems. I have metal on the Motorhome and rubber on my jeep and now on my Ranger with NO issues. They are short enough that you do not have to worry about centrifugal forces bending over the stem to cause any issues. Metal is of course better but I personally would not bother changing them out until you have to replace the tires.

That said, I was using the Tire Minder system and stopped working on my last trip. Just installed the TST system. Hopefully that last longer.
I had rubber stems on my truck & after about 10,000 miles one of the rubber stems cracked & I lost all tire pressure. After changing to the spare, the next day I went to a tire shop & had them changed to steel. Cheap insurance in my opinion.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #21258
I use Tire Tracker which monitors coach and toad. It came with 10 sensors and a signal booster. No signal loss issues with a 36 foot coach towing Honda CR-V. I like the screen which is bright and easy to see. Tried cheaper TPMS with poor results. Costumer service with Tire Tracker is great. Hope this helps
Old 09-12-2021, 12:19 AM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #18266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
I use Tire Tracker which monitors coach and toad. It came with 10 sensors and a signal booster. No signal loss issues with a 36 foot coach towing Honda CR-V. I like the screen which is bright and easy to see. Tried cheaper TPMS with poor results. Costumer service with Tire Tracker is great. Hope this helps
Hi! I am new to towing the Honda CRV. I have not purchased a TPMS for MH and Toad because the caps of the Honda signal to the Honda’s TPMS and I did not know if I bought one of those systems for the motorhome and toad if that would mess it up. I was excited to see your post. How did you get around that?
Old 09-12-2021, 12:49 AM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1970c View Post
Hi! I am new to towing the Honda CRV. I have not purchased a TPMS for MH and Toad because the caps of the Honda signal to the Honda’s TPMS and I did not know if I bought one of those systems for the motorhome and toad if that would mess it up. I was excited to see your post. How did you get around that?
What year CRV uses the valve stem caps for an OEM TPMS? Maybe an aftermarket TPMS but valve stem cap?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:51 AM   #20

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What year CRV uses the valve stem caps for an OEM TPMS? Maybe an aftermarket TPMS but valve stem cap?
I'll add to that by asking what year CRV because after 14, I think that's the MY, they were not flat towable.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ