Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
Trik-L-Start

Thanks to Judge for the Trik-L-Start tip. Works great maintaining the charge of my chassis battery from the solar (or shore when I'm plugged in). Easy install near the dash and just ran the wires through the firewall and to the 'emergency start' solenoid (that has cables to the coach batteries and chassis battery already).

azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
That is outstanding! Nice job!

It's pricey but works like a champ making sure the chassis battery is never run down!
Old 08-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
i tried to post this yesterday but must not have pressed submit or something.....

I asked why did you choose that location for it. I thought these things were meant to go forward of the firewall near the BIRD relay, or anyplace else that makes sense based on your wiring such as the battery bay..... so if in the cabin is where it was easiest to connect, why not hide it under the dash someplace?

I hope this question doesn't seem critical....it's not. I'm considering buying one of those for my next project and so I'm wanting to learn about it. I recently installed a solar panel to charge the house and it would be great to charge the chassis too.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
i tried to post this yesterday but must not have pressed submit or something.....

I asked why did you choose that location for it. I thought these things were meant to go forward of the firewall near the BIRD relay, or anyplace else that makes sense based on your wiring such as the battery bay..... so if in the cabin is where it was easiest to connect, why not hide it under the dash someplace?

I hope this question doesn't seem critical....it's not. I'm considering buying one of those for my next project and so I'm wanting to learn about it. I recently installed a solar panel to charge the house and it would be great to charge the chassis too.
There are status lights on the unit so I also placed it in this spot to easily know whether it is charging the chassis battery, the battery was being maintained, etc.

My solar panel charge the house batteries and now the chassis battery with this device.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

I mounted mine on the inside fender well about 10" from the relay.
The relay is behind the radiator overflow.
2nd pic shows both the relay (on left) and the trik l start (upper right).
No need to add additional length of wires.
I also have a 12v display inside the cab that I can switch between coach or chassis to show voltage of either battery bank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_164709.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	19689
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_164737.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	19691
Sorry not sure how to rotate images
Old 08-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #6

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
Like Judge, I mounted mine where I can see the status indicator lights on it. Another nice thing I noticed is during standby mode (at night when solar isn’t charging etc) the green light blinks pretty bright and looks like a security system light at the dash area.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote